The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can you train yourself to sleep in noisy environments?  (Read 6117 times)

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'm not sure how to explain this but say that you were doing an experiment, in the first week, you slept in a room in which the noise never got above 10 decibels, in the second week, you slept in a room in which the noise level never got higher than 20 decibels, maybe you woke up during the first 2-3 days but afterwards you did not. In the third week you slept in a room in which the noise never got above 30 decibels and so on... What I'm asking is that is it possible to train yourself to do this (and the stimuli has to be stronger and stronger time after time for your body to respond)? And what is the maximum noise that a person can possibly handle and still be able to sleep?

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Can you train yourself to sleep in noisy environments?
« Reply #1 on: 02/01/2009 03:41:22 »
My Husband slept for 4 years aboard the USS SARATOGA right under the flight deck! He said it was hard at first because it was very very noisy.. but he did adjust.. but I must say has had hearing troubles since so I think there may aways be ability to adjust but you end up suffering some hearing damage in the process.. I wonder though like you if a certain volume just gets to be too much!

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/01/2009 03:47:54 »
I've noticed that if I sleep with ear plugs in for a few days and then I take them out and try to sleep, everything is just so loud (especially the clock ticking) >:( whereas before, when I went to sleep without them, I didn't really notice the noises around me...so there must be some kind of adjustment made by the body ???

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/01/2009 04:16:49 »
Yes I think you are probably right! I think you get used to the noise in your environment and you know it as  the norm so anything foreign will wake you but things your ears hear normally the body somehow blocks out or ignores as normal and this allows you to become accustomed to the environment and to adapt!
« Last Edit: 02/01/2009 04:19:30 by Karen W. »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02/01/2009 04:22:38 »
There are mechanisms such as the auditory reflex which control the amount of sound reaching the inner ear,
(analogous to the pupil automatically adjusting the amount of light reaching the retina).

If the noise (stimulus) is constant the brain can ignore it, (habituation).

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/01/2009 18:16:05 »
that is interesting. thanks RD.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 02/01/2009 18:16:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums