The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Amazing Discovery Celox Blood Clotting granules for battlefield Wounds.  (Read 5017 times)

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Hope our Soldiers and paramedics have this stuff. It sounds amazing. http://www.celoxmedical.com/
CELOX Information

HOW DOES CELOX WORK?
CELOX is an innovative new hemostat designed to bond with specific sites which are present on the surface of red blood cells and platelets to make a gel like clot /plug. This process is totally different from the body’s normal clotting mechanisms.

Anticoagulants such as heparin and warfarin (often sold as Coumadin) can interfere with the body’s normal clotting process. They often delay blood clotting times. Hyperthermia is also well known to delay clotting.

As CELOX works independently of the normal clotting process, its clotting ability is not affected by the presence of anticoagulants or by cold temperature. Laboratory testing has confirmed that CELOX quickly clots blood containing heparin or warfarin (Coumadin). It has also shown that CELOX also quickly clots blood which has been cooled to simulate hypothermia. There are links to some of this data below.

The US Marines have tested CELOX in a wound model designed to simulate a major battlefield wound with massive arterial damage. Their work was carried out independently and showed that even in this extreme situation, CELOX could reliably stop bleeding, reduce blood loss and save lives. Journal Academic Emergency Medicine Jan 08, Page 74-81

WHAT IS CELOX?
CELOX is a proprietary blend of materials covered by 3 international patent applications.

CELOX contains a natural marine polymer, Chitosan.

Chitosan is a highly purified polysaccharide derivative of shrimp shells.

Discussion on Celox Efficacy
http://shadowspear.com/vb/showthread.php?p=239500
« Last Edit: 03/01/2009 09:14:01 by Andrew K Fletcher »

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Thought this might have been interesting for some of you. This new product can coagulate a femoral artery wound in full flow using direct pressure. 100% survival rate in a trial.

And it was discovered by someone who thought about why crabs don't bleed to death when they lose a leg. The product is made from shrimp shells.

Thinking about adding a packet to our fist aid kit.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
That sounds good. It could help a lot of people. I'm on Warfarin and I'm concerned about cutting myself badly.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Nice addition to any first aid kit IMO. specially if you use a chainsaw like me :)

That sounds good. It could help a lot of people. I'm on Warfarin and I'm concerned about cutting myself badly.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums