The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can Ewe Eat Orange Peel ?  (Read 11693 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Can Ewe Eat Orange Peel ?
« on: 02/01/2009 17:11:42 »
Dear Orangeologists,

I saw a film I did !..yes, I did !..It was a film set in a submarine in the second world war.
*I just luff submarine films I do*

Anyway, in this film the captain partook the joy and sweetness of an orange !

look, here's some !

Hmm, yummy....look at them there all ready, wanton and able...the orange temptresses !!....occupying my every waking moment with their evil charismatic lust, willing me with their irresistable provocation !!

..erhmm...anyway !...In this film, the Captain did not peel the fruit...he just took a chomp straight out of the fruit !!

So, my questions are....Is it Ok to eat the peel of an orange ?
Does one have to be a qualified Captain of A Submarine in 1942 to enjoy an Orange like that ?

Is Peel digestible ?...does the same apply to Melon Skins ?

Ewe see, I  really do not know...and someone told me about this site where people can ask questions and other people with answers will respond !....which is nice !

Please continue to be nice.

hugs & Shmishes

mwah mwah

Neil
Adorer Of Oranges
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 02/01/2009 17:25:46 »
I eat orange peel in marmalade

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/01/2009 17:38:19 »
Like Eth said, he eats t and yes it is safe.. be sure if you do partake you wash the fruit well as the skins may have residual pesticides.

Orane peel or zest as it is referred to is deliscous added to recipes, sauces cookies... etc.... Its good to use fresh but nice to have some grated orange zest drie and stored in an air tight container so as to have it on hand.

blakestyger

« Reply #3 on: 02/01/2009 18:42:52 »
Citrus fruits are often treated by spraying with dipenyl to delay ripening in transit and as a fungistat. As Karen says, wash them before making marmalade or it's  [xx(]

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02/01/2009 20:05:31 »
I eat orange peel in marmalade

Thanks Dr Beave

yes, ewe are of course right....orange peel in marmalade is well tasty !...but a whole un-prepped orange's worth ?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/01/2009 20:09:04 »
Like Eth said, he eats t and yes it is safe.. be sure if you do partake you wash the fruit well as the skins may have residual pesticides.

Orane peel or zest as it is referred to is deliscous added to recipes, sauces cookies... etc.... Its good to use fresh but nice to have some grated orange zest drie and stored in an air tight container so as to have it on hand.

Thank ewe Karemy mam

I too enjoy the zest of an orange, or even a lemon, sometimes a lime and occasionally a grape ! ;D (but I can never manage a whole one)

I do realise there are ways to enjoy "peel" when it's been processed in such a way but could anyone here really enjoy the whole thing fresh ?....Is there a benefit to eating peel (once it's been cleaned) ?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02/01/2009 20:10:27 »
Citrus fruits are often treated by spraying with dipenyl to delay ripening in transit and as a fungistat. As Karen says, wash them before making marmalade or it's  [xx(]

Thank ewe blakestyger ...sheesh !...ewe'll be expecting me to actually wash myself next...!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02/01/2009 20:12:35 »
It burns my lips in the corners, if I try to eat it straight! It seems very acidic....

I do however eat all of the white part behind the rind as I like the soft stuff! JUst not the outer orange unless used to flavor.. as you would also!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 02/01/2009 20:12:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums