The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Is My Voice Gravelly In The Mornings?  (Read 8024 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Why Is My Voice Gravelly In The Mornings?
« on: 03/01/2009 19:09:27 »
Dear Vocalologists,

How are ewe ?..I'm Ok...James has a few sniffles (My three year old) but he's happy. He just did a poo poo in the potty which is nice, bit pongy !....still, my neighbours letterbox was very accommodating.

Ewe, know..I really enjoy these chit chats !

Anyway,

As a sheepy, I of course have a beautiful singing voice. Here I am craftily camouflaged as a singing Christmas decoration !!

Nice eh ?...available for weddings, barmitvahs and store openings.....but not on Tuesdays cos I get deliveries that day !

What I would like to know this Saturday evening (gawwwd , my life's just so effervescent and vivacious !)...is why does my voice sound so gravelly in the morning ? why's that then ?

Is it just me or does it happen to ewe too ?..does the fact  that I'm so friggin tired have something to do with it ?..or is it a relaxed muscle thingy ?

Anyway,  hope this thread finds ewe all well and rested !

hugs ewe

Neil
Sexy Voice In The Mornings !
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03/01/2009 20:45:41 »
Maybe you had a SANDwich for supper  ;D

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/01/2009 22:03:06 »
I honestly think that its from being overly tired.. I get it in the evenings when I have been awake and not slept...also in the mornings when I may have only had had an hour or so sleep!.. but t only happens to me with severe sleep derevation.. so if I am well rested its fine!

Although that is what I think, I wonder if its the lack of lubrication from no sleep.. you know whe you are super tired your eys get dry.... my mout and I also believe the throat or vocal cords are over worked with insufficent time and lubrication to make them wrk properly   perhaps from not allowing them enough down time to recoup..

Just a guess!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/01/2009 22:23:40 »
Maybe you had a SANDwich for supper  ;D

LOL...The Doctor puts in a simple few words what it takes me a whole paragraph to attain !.....clever comicality ! ;D

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/01/2009 22:25:23 »
I honestly think that its from being overly tired.. I get it in the evenings when I have been awake and not slept...also in the mornings when I may have only had had an hour or so sleep!.. but t only happens to me with severe sleep derevation.. so if I am well rested its fine!

Although that is what I think, I wonder if its the lack of lubrication from no sleep.. you know whe you are super tired your eys get dry.... my mout and I also believe the throat or vocal cords are over worked with insufficent time and lubrication to make them wrk properly   perhaps from not allowing them enough down time to recoup..

Just a guess!

Thank Ewe Kareny mam...Your guess is even better than mine and from what ewe say....it must be true !..thank ewe......sounds right to me !

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03/01/2009 23:16:44 »
Snoring ? (mouth-breathing while asleep drying-out your throat ?).
« Last Edit: 03/01/2009 23:27:50 by RD »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04/01/2009 12:47:04 »
Snoring ? (mouth-breathing while asleep drying-out your throat ?).

Sleep? This is Neil we're talking about!

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04/01/2009 16:49:55 »
Eating too much fermenting organic material the night before perhaps. I know drinking too much alcohol has this effect on me.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04/01/2009 17:34:55 »
Alcohol is a diuretic taking us back to lack of moisture and water in the body.....

people who sing can experience this dryness thus causing a gravely sounding voice!
« Last Edit: 05/01/2009 21:38:03 by Karen W. »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04/01/2009 23:25:37 »
I think RD might have something with mouth-breathing while asleep drying-out your throat? but not necessarily snoring

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06/01/2009 20:50:19 »
Thank ewe chemistry4me, graham d, Karen, RD & Dr Beave

When I am asleep...which isn't that often, I do sometimes snore...and we have a fan that is on all the time too. I don't smoke or drink (still have not had that bottle of ale !!)......so, I'll put it down to the occasional night where I'm asleep open mouthed...and all dried out......!

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06/01/2009 22:05:24 »
Sheepy you have one of two problems. You either have a problem with your nose which is leaking snot into your throat at night. Do you wake up and hoick up bogies in the morning too? This snot will cause your vocal chords to swell up. These big heavy chords find it more difficult to vibrate and also vibrate deeper (like guitar strings.)
The other problem possible could be gastric reflux into the throat at night. This could also cause the chords to swell.
Has sheepy ever been a smoking sheep. This will also damage the vocal chords and make the problem worse.
Top singer often don't speak in the morning as it strains the vocal chords if you talk too much when they are enlarged. This is why slots on breakfast shows is a pop stars worst gig! So if you want to carry on singing at weddings etc. don't speak when you get up.
Also taking inhalers can damage the chords too.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 06/01/2009 22:05:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length