The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Viruses and Bacteria.. What's the line between living and non-living?  (Read 9803 times)

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
I understand that bacteria has a nucleus, whilst a virus doesn't.. But viruses still multiply themselves and seems to have a want to live. Surely that makes  them a living thing?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
We were taught that all living things could do MRS.(C).GREN which stands for movement, respiration, sense, circulation (although that one is a bit dodgy), growth, reproduce, excrete, and nutrition (or something along those lines). I'm fairly sure that viruses can only carry out two of those functions, if my memory is correct. ::)

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
I do see your point.
Viruses

Move -- yes

Respire? -- (No. Viruses do not have the ability to respire on their own. They need to use the mitochondria of their host cells in order to use the process of respiration of the cell they have invaded. So, in other words,you could say that viruses "borrow" the respiratory ability of a cell, and that can be aerobic or anerobic, with or without oxygen.)

Sense -- no

Circulation -- no

Growth -- yes

Reproduce -- yes? multiplying in a way..

Excrete -- No idea..

Nutrition -- Surely they eat on something??

I'm still not sure whether MRS GREN has to agree for it to be living..! It's very vague!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length