The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do you know a way to prevent bedsores when confined to bed for long periods?  (Read 7546 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
 Do to illness and other health events over the last few weeks.. I have been confined to my bed with a few exceptions and a trip out.

I'm finding I have developed some bed sores on my toes and a couple on my tush that are killing me..despite my turning and frequent position shifts!

Please help if you have some good tips my tush wil thank you as well as Mr. Piggytoes..LOL!
« Last Edit: 09/01/2009 10:06:04 by Karen W. »

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
ouchies. I heard that sheep skin under the sore bits helps along with frequent turning.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
An expensive solution is segmented inflatable mattresses:
 the segments inflate and deflate in sequence to constantly change the pressure points...
http://www.meharhealthcare.net/bed-sore-air-mattress-system.html

If the ulcers on toes are due to poor circulation (vascular disease) then increasing the heating could be beneficial.

Be careful with hot water bottles:
 if your circulation is poor the sensation in your feet could be diminished so you could burn your feet without knowing it.
« Last Edit: 07/01/2009 22:39:26 by RD »

Offline MonikaS

• View Profile
One important thing is to keep the skin dry. Do you drink enough? Dehydration is a risk factor.

You write that you do move around in bed, which is good. But you need to be careful as not to aply shear forces and friction to your skin.

Now that you've already got some sores, there are special dressings for bedsores, best talk to a nurse or your doctor. If you are to stay in bed for longer a special mattress might be a good idea, because those sore tend to come back once you've got them.

Wikipedia has a good article, but has disturbing pictures too.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thank you guys.. I will try some heat as my circulation sucks and all the last two weeks my feet were footballs! The skin was so tight it was trying to crack!

swellings finally down but my feet and legs front an back are tender sore and bruised feeling...

I have been up a bit today.. that has helped.. but for just a bit.
The blakets have begun to really hurt my toes they make them feel like hey have been burned where the blankets rub them.. I need a tent over my toes but then they get cold!

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
In rehab bed sores are managed by constant turning, (every four hours) and breakouts are managed with a strict routine of dressings.
You can usually get all the dressings you need at the chemist (pharmacy) but if you want to start applying creams you need to see a professional who can give you the right stuff.

I know your feet are sensitive and sore, but you need circulation down there so if you can stand a little massage (and this goes for other pressure spots also) try it.
The idea for preventing bedsores is to keep blood flowing to the area as much as possible.
Sheep skins are good, but need to be aired and shaken (not stirred) to lift the pile, regularly.

Segmented air pockets are also great, but are expensive (as has been mentioned) and they need to be kept at the correct pressure. Too soft and you'll get no benefit from them too hard and you'll do more damage.

Good luck Karen... I know how uncomfortable they can be and have seen first hand really bad ones.. I hope there is a solution for you. 

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks JnA that sounds like sound advice. The bed sore mattress is out of my range...

I am having most trouble wih my feet ..tops of toes where bedding rubs and heels etc..
Hoping I will be out of bed soon......was up and about about two hours yesterday.... felt good.. but was worn out....will try a bit longer today.....
I will try some light heat with the heating pad on low or my feet.
I will find out more about lotion for them today!

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Could you wrap the heat pad in sheep skin. I'm sure sheepy would be happy to give up some skin for you.

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
I wonder if you could use a tent and have some warm air circulated around.. it would take a bit of rigging, but it wouldn't be impossible. DO you know anyone handy?

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Eat a lot of beans and fat down the bed covers into the tent. No rigging required!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Could you wrap the heat pad in sheep skin. I'm sure sheepy would be happy to give up some skin for you.

I will see ....it certainly would be softer then the heating pad cover....
couldn't do that to Poor sheepy...He would look silly with a flannel patch !!!
« Last Edit: 10/01/2009 10:22:00 by Karen W. »

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Your bed is still flat?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Yes.. I have tried to get someone to raise it to no avail...  I have the swelling down again this morning as I have propped myself in the chair at my daughters house!
« Last Edit: 11/01/2009 13:55:30 by Karen W. »

Offline MartinTheK

• View Profile
As an RN, I would not expect to see decubitus ulcers (pressure sores) on toes. I would consult an MD immediately to rule out diabetic ulcers or a vascular problem.

Decubitus ulcers occur when the blood cannot reach the tissue. It can be complicated by poor nutrition or other metabolic problems. You need a visiting nurse to come in  and work with you - especially now that they are present.

Putting a heatng pad in the bed is extremely ill advised. It's an open question as to whether you could feel it well enough to prevent heat damage.
« Last Edit: 13/01/2009 16:58:28 by MartinTheK »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks for the advice...I have another appointment today to see the Doctor a 11 AM.

I have some relief since my last post fore the feet... but today she wants to check them and we will find out what else can be done.....My blood sugars are good. I did have two high sugars over a years tests but I did a fasting blood sugar test and She said My blood sugar is very good not Diabetic.. which is good. I do watch my intake and am careful to limit that as + worry about that too.

Thanks and I appreciate your advice. Thanks..I will post late rafter my Doctors appointments as she will be runing heart enzime tests again today
as requested by the ER on Saterday early am....

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums