The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How important is E=mc^2  (Read 58693 times)

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Re: How important is E=mc^2
« Reply #50 on: 31/03/2006 14:41:27 »
Hmmm yet another eclypse preceded by and followed by more Earthquakes.

By VOA News
31 March 2006
http://www.voanews.com/english/2006-03-31-voa5.cfm
Earthquakes Hit Western Iran, 66 Killed Iran's official news agency (IRNA) says 66 people were killed and nearly one thousand others injured in a series of earthquakes in western Lorestan province.
The report says the towns of Doroud and Boroujerd and scores of villages in between suffered heavy damage. It says rescue operations in the region are continuing.
It adds that Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has instructed the interior ministry to mobilize all available resources to the stricken region.
U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said  the United States is prepared to offer humanitarian assistance to Iran's earthquake victims.
The series of tremors began around midnight local time and continued for several hours. The most severe tremor was a magnitude six quake that struck shortly before dawn.
 Earthquakes are a common occurrence in Iran, which is located on several major seismic fault lines.
In December 2003, a powerful earthquake flattened the ancient city of Bam, killing at least 30,000 people.

Moderate undersea quakes off southwest Thailand
Staff and agencies
29 March, 2006

http://www.heraldnewsdaily.com/stories/news-00167488.html
Sat Mar 11, 3:11 AM ET
BANGKOK - A series of moderate earthquakes has shaken the floor of the Andaman Sea off the southern coast of Thailand, although there is no immediate risk of a tsunami, disaster officials said on Saturday.
However, the National Disaster Warning center said Thais should monitor the news after the string of 31 earthquakes, measuring magnitude 4.0 to 5.3, hit about 400 to 600 kilometers of the southwest coast over the last two days.
The five southern provinces of Ranong, Phuket, Krabi, Satun and Phang-nga were those with the highest risk of being affected.
"We have informed people to watch out and follow the news closely," an official said. "We‘re closely watching the overall situation."
Scientists say undersea quakes have to measure in excess of at least 7.0 Richter in order to generate a tsunami.

2006-03-30 11:57:28      CRIENGLISH.com
http://en.chinabroadcast.cn/811/2006/03/30/176@68902.htm
March 31, 2006 3:05 PM

Strong earthquake jolts Tokyo area
 http://www.swissinfo.org/sen/swissinfo.html?siteSect=143&sid=6585258&cKey=1143576334000
TOKYO (Reuters) - A strong earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.0 jolted the Tokyo area on Tuesday evening, the Japan Meteorological Agency said.

There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage and no tsunami warning was issued.

The quake, which struck at 10:33 p.m. (1333 GMT), was felt most strongly north of the capital.

The epicentre of the tremor was about 410 km (255 miles) below the seabed in the Pacific Ocean south of Japan's main island of Honshu, the agency said.

The quake originated about 430 km (270 miles) off the coast of Tokyo, Kyodo news service said.

The quake's deep focus meant the effect on the Japanese mainland was limited. The area most affected, north of Tokyo, registered readings of up to 3 on the Japanese intensity scale of 7 but there were no reports of injuries or damage there.

The magnitude of the earthquake was measured according to a technique similar to the Richter scale, but adjusted for Japan's geological characteristics.

Earthquake Hits Geermu in Qinghai
http://en.chinabroadcast.cn/811/2006/03/30/176@68902.htm
An earthquake measuring 5.2 on the Richter scale has hit Geermu in the western Chinese province of Qinghai at about 7:38 a.m. on Thursday, according to data from the Chinese seismological station network.

The epicenter is located at 35.5 north latitude, 95.4 east longitude.

The Office of the China Earthquake Administration (CEA) says the area around the epicenter is sparsely inhabited and there are no immediate reports of casualty or damage.

Local officials have travelled to the area to assess whether rescue efforts are needed. The CEA and the Earthquake Administration of Qinghai Province will implement an earthquake follow-up plan based on the circumstances of the disaster reflected from data gathered by local officials.

AFX News Limited
Earthquake jolts northeast Taiwan; no immediate reports of damage, casualties
03.29.2006, 04:03 AM
http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/afx/2006/03/29/afx2629546.html
TAIPEI (AFX) - An earthquake measuring 5.1 on the Richter scale has jolted northeastern Taiwan, the island's Seismology Center said, but there were no immediate reports of damage or casualties.

The quake struck at 3.21 pm (0721 GMT), its epicenter five kilometers west of the coastal town of Suao in Ilan county and 71 kilometers underground.

"The explanation requiring the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct."
K.I.S. "Keep it simple!"

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 01/04/2006 08:51:02 »
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/world/middleeast/31cnd-quake.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Iran Earthquake Kills 70, Destroys 330 Villages

Sign In to E-Mail This
Printer-Friendly
Reprints
Save Article

By NAZILA FATHI
Published: March 31, 2006
TEHRAN, March 31 — A strong earthquake hit Iran's western province of Lorestan this morning killing 70 people and flattening more than 300 villages, state television reported.

Brick houses were reduced to piles of rubble amid twisted steel, and television footage showed residents gathered in clusters gazing at what used to be their homes.

The 6.0 magnitude earthquake hit at 4:47 a.m. local time and lasted for one minute, the television reported. It was followed by two more tremors, measuring 4.7 and 5.1 on the Richter scale. Nearly 40 aftershocks were registered, the ISNA news agency reported.

Some 330 villages were leveled between 30 to 100 percent, state media reported. More than 1,200 people were wounded.

The quake's epicenter was in the mountainous area south of the city of Borujerd and north of Doroud, where most people were killed. The tremor was felt in the two neighboring provinces of Arak and Hamedan.

"The explanation requiring the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct."
K.I.S. "Keep it simple!"

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 02/04/2006 09:30:30 »
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000080&sid=aTLaI1tYqo64&refer=asia

Indonesian Island Shaken by Magnitude-6.1 Earthquake (Update1)
April 1 (Bloomberg) -- A magnitude-6.1 earthquake shook the Indonesian island of Kepulauan Talaud early today, the U.S. Geological Survey reported on its Web site.
The earthquake struck in the vicinity of the island, about 2,430 kilometers (1,510 miles) northeast of Jakarta, at 5:14 a.m. local time, the agency said. Kepulauan Talaud is near Indonesia's Sulawesi island.
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-04/01/content_4373239.htm
BEIJING, April 1 (Xinhua) -- Forty-two people were slightly injured in an earthquake measuring 6.4 on the Richter scale which rocked Taiwan at 6:02 p.m. (1002 GMT) Saturday, Taiwan media said.
    Most of the people were hurt by falling ceilings or goods in the houses, while some others were wounded as they run about in shock, according to a source with the Fire-fighting Bureau of Taitung County, where the epicenter was located.
    The injured had been rushed to hospital, and are recovering, the source said, adding that no one was in critical condition.
    The epicenter was initially determined to be over the coastal waters of southeastern Taiwan (22.9 N, 121.2E), causing minor casualties in the region.

K.I.S. "Keep it simple!"

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
How important is E=mc^2
« Reply #53 on: 16/11/2008 18:45:42 »
Another full moon. Huge tidal changes here in Devon while walking the dogs along the beach, turning to Jude and saying in a few days time there will be another major earthquake....... Jude says you always say that when the tide is right out. However as the tide was as far out as we can remember, and seeing the exposed beach at Elbury Cove in Paignton Devon on the 14th November 2008, after arriving without even thinking about the tides. And having observed the low tide, predicted an imminent earthquake of considerable magnitude, we went home and waited, remembering the delay effect of a few days as discussed with Bass earlier in this thread.

Now we have the predicted 7.5 and 6.5 earthquakes in Indonesia on the television with a tsunami warning. It’s a damned shame that no one is taking this seriously.

Andrew K Fletcher
« Last Edit: 16/11/2008 19:03:35 by Andrew K Fletcher »

lyner

How important is E=mc^2
« Reply #54 on: 16/11/2008 22:03:11 »
It’s a damned shame that no one is taking this seriously.
It is just remotely possible that it has been looked into in a bit more depth than your personal study of the events.
I should imagine insurance companies would have a very keen interest in such predictions.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How important is E=mc^2
« Reply #55 on: 16/11/2008 23:32:58 »
Earth tide is the sub-meter motion of the Earth of about 12 hours or longer caused by Moon and Sun gravitation, also called body tide which is the largest contribution globally. The largest body tide contribution is from the semidiurnal constituents, but there are also significant diurnal constituents. There also semi-annual and fortnightly contributions due to the axial tilt. The use of the word tide is by analogy, and although the forcing is quite similar, the responses are quite different.

Earth tide effects
Volcanologists use the regular, predictable Earth tide movements to calibrate and test sensitive volcano deformation monitoring instruments. The tides may also trigger volcanic events.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_tide

If the molten core changes from a sphere to an egg-shape and back again in response to lunar phases, it should produce a measurable wobble in the earth's rotation.  I'll plead ignorance, but do you know if there is a measurable change due to changes in the core ?  

Nutation is a slight irregular motion in the axis of rotation of a largely axially symmetric object, such as a gyroscope or a planet...The nutation of a planet happens because the tidal forces which cause the precession of the equinoxes vary over time so that the speed of precession is not constant. It was discovered in 1728 by the English astronomer James Bradley ... simple rigid-body mechanics do not give the best theory; one has to account for deformations of the solid Earth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutation

I think these deformations may also be responsible for the slight changes in day length throughout the year:
Earth would revolve slowest ("run slow") when most deformed.
« Last Edit: 16/11/2008 23:46:12 by RD »

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
How important is E=mc^2
« Reply #56 on: 21/11/2008 09:02:21 »
RD Thanks for the post. This is happening far to often to be a mere coincidence.

The massive quake that hit Turkey shortly after the last UK eclipse was predicted in front of many witnesses on that very day, based on previous tidal shifts and earthquakes that followed them. With a study we could determine where the earthquake is most likely to occur based on tidal shift. This would require careful analysis of all past earthquakes and volcanic eruptions superimposed on a graph with tidal events. The data should be readily available from many years of seismological monitoring. It is important to allow up to 4 days following a large tidal shift. As discussed earlier there is a repeated surge of water and research suggests a surge at the Earth’s molten core, which is measurable over the same period.

The Earth being a stabilising force holding the mass together, Depending on the degree of weakness in the fault, there should be a delay from the initial tidal shift before the fault moves. There will always be a fault that will move on day one of a tidal shift.

A person once argued you can’t judge the whole planet based on your observation in Paignton. I ask where does the ocean end and where does it start. Of course we can predict events on the other side of the world based on the tidal shifts anywhere.

Much data would be required to put this together and collaboration with a university in Japan might be a smart move, as they do have a vested interest in predicting earthquakes along with the will and technology to do it.

Bass has a programme somewhere that could be modified to include a 4 day post Initial Tidal Shift, baring in mind that there will also be a gradual build up prior to the full moon or equinox.

I will send the thread link to a Japanese University to see if we can gain some assistance.

Andrew K Fletcher

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How important is E=mc^2
« Reply #57 on: 21/11/2008 18:42:49 »
Others have been looking at this relationship for some time...

Strong Earth Tides Can Trigger Earthquakes, UCLA Scientists Report
ScienceDaily (Oct. 22, 2004) — Earthquakes can be triggered by the Earth's tides, UCLA scientists confirmed Oct. 21 in Science Express, the online journal of Science. Earth tides are produced by the gravitational pull of the moon and the sun on the Earth, causing the ocean's waters to slosh, which in turn* raise and lower stress on faults roughly twice a day. Scientists have wondered about the effects of Earth tides for more than 100 years. (The research will be published in the print version of Science in November.)
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/10/041022103948.htm

[* this is somewhat misleading; Earth tides (Body tides) would occur even if there was no water on Earth, because of Earth's liquid interior]

The classical theory of Earth tides first became established in 1905: ^ A.E.H. Love, Proc. Roy. Soc. London, 82, 1905.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_tide#Body_tide

« Last Edit: 21/11/2008 18:53:40 by RD »

lyner

How important is E=mc^2
« Reply #58 on: 23/11/2008 00:11:48 »
[* this is somewhat misleading; Earth tides (Body tides) would occur even if there was no water on Earth, because of Earth's liquid interior]
Yes: correlation does not prove a causal relationship.

The mass of water in the oceans is tiny compared with the masses of the core and mantle and the corresponding energy changes due to gravitational effects is insignificant.
Sea tides could be taken as indicators - but the astronomical situation would be a better indicator as it is unaffected by local details such as the profile of the coast, the seabed and the state of barometric pressure.

Offline erickejah

• Parking? I make my own parking spot!!
    • View Profile
How important is E=mc^2
« Reply #59 on: 23/11/2008 02:24:38 »
I have learned in this post more of what I have in high school... ;D all these arguments open my mind.  :D.

I do not know if this correct; matter never disappears it just transforms. but if it is correct how is the universe going to freeze  ??? , because if matter is converted by black holes to radiation, the radiation by diffusion will be move out to other places; ie Jupiter or the Earth adding up to the mass of these planets, and if these planets are eat by black holes would not others celestial bodies capture the radiation from their disintegration. I am kind of confuse now, would not that be redundant and never finish ??? ??? ::) ??? ??? :o ??? ??? >:( ??? ??? ;D

Offline IanPhillips

• First timers
    • View Profile
How important is E=mc^2
« Reply #60 on: 23/11/2008 06:07:08 »
My PhD Thesis of nearly 30 years ago looked at the eruptive mechanisms of Mt Etna and, amongst other things, I considered the effect of earth tides on triggering eruptions of Etna and also a number of other European volcanoes. Despite some published research that suggested a connection I found the two events to be an excellent example of randomness - the published research used incorrect statistical methods to draw their conclusions. I also reviewed sunspot cycles and found those to be random as well.

It's possible the tides may trigger earthquakes but you need accurate statistical evidence.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
How important is E=mc^2
« Reply #61 on: 23/11/2008 09:56:44 »
Hi Erickejah

Apart from the black holes existing, this is precisely my argument. There is no end or beginning just a constantly evolving universe. As you state matter cannot be destroyed so must be converted, diffused across the universe and married up to another mass continually repeating the process forever. But rather than a black hole absorbing matter, consider a sun as the ultimate in planetary evolution. A mass so great after attracting matter that it becomes unstable and decay’s over countless years dispersing matter to other planets causing them to increase and become unstable to the point where they too become suns. It is a beautifully simple theory that encompasses everything into planetary growth and decay, which during the cycle involves the correct gravitational force to produce water from atoms and breath life into a desolate stable environment. But for how long?

Jupiter holds some important clues!

I have learned in this post more of what I have in high school... ;D all these arguments open my mind.  :D.

I do not know if this correct; matter never disappears it just transforms. but if it is correct how is the universe going to freeze  ??? , because if matter is converted by black holes to radiation, the radiation by diffusion will be move out to other places; ie Jupiter or the Earth adding up to the mass of these planets, and if these planets are eat by black holes would not others celestial bodies capture the radiation from their disintegration. I am kind of confuse now, would not that be redundant and never finish ;D

lyner

How important is E=mc^2
« Reply #62 on: 23/11/2008 15:34:27 »
Apart from the black holes existing, this is precisely my argument. There is no end or beginning just a constantly evolving universe. etc . . .

It was a popular theory before the evidence started to point to a Big Bang.

I'm surprised the 'new' theory isn't more attractive to you, as it flew in the face of established Science and was opposed vehemently by the cogniscenti for some time..

Shame about the evidence thing.

Offline erickejah

• Parking? I make my own parking spot!!
    • View Profile
How important is E=mc^2
« Reply #63 on: 24/11/2008 01:17:24 »
asome, ;D, i like this theory.  ;D
Hi Erickejah

Apart from the black holes existing, this is precisely my argument. There is no end or beginning just a constantly evolving universe. As you state matter cannot be destroyed so must be converted, diffused across the universe and married up to another mass continually repeating the process forever. But rather than a black hole absorbing matter, consider a sun as the ultimate in planetary evolution. A mass so great after attracting matter that it becomes unstable and decay’s over countless years dispersing matter to other planets causing them to increase and become unstable to the point where they too become suns. It is a beautifully simple theory that encompasses everything into planetary growth and decay, which during the cycle involves the correct gravitational force to produce water from atoms and breath life into a desolate stable environment. But for how long?

Jupiter holds some important clues!

I do not know if this correct; matter never disappears it just transforms. but if it is correct how is the universe going to freeze  ??? , because if matter is converted by black holes to radiation, the radiation by diffusion will be move out to other places; ie Jupiter or the Earth adding up to the mass of these planets, and if these planets are eat by black holes would not others celestial bodies capture the radiation from their disintegration. I am kind of confuse now, would not that be redundant and never finish ;D

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
How important is E=mc^2
« Reply #64 on: 12/12/2008 17:21:33 »
http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EasyTide/EasyTide/ShowPrediction.aspx?PortID=0025&PredictionLength=7

Interesting Lunar event could cause significant earthquake from the 14th to the 16th of December, based upon peak low and high tides. Apparently the moon is closer today to the Earth

Tide table predictions for Torquay on link above.

Hope this prediction does not come true.

Earth set for full moon close up
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7779294.stm A full moon is set to occur closer to the Earth on Friday evening than it has done for the past 15 years.
The Moon's elliptical orbit means its distance from the Earth is not constant.
It will be a little over 350,000km away as it passes over the northern hemisphere, which is about 30,000km closer than usual.
If the sky is clear it will appear brighter and lighter than usual, say astronomers.
Closest path
Friday's full moon could appear up to 14% bigger and 30% brighter than other full moons this year, Nasa said.
The Moon's orbit is elliptical, meaning it does not follow a circular but rather an oval path.
It is currently approaching the point where this oval orbit is nearest to the Earth.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
How important is E=mc^2
« Reply #65 on: 15/12/2008 17:31:59 »

Any significant earthquakes which could be linked to the moons unusually close proximity with earth?
Strong earthquake rocks areas near Kermadec Islands www.chinaview.cn  2008-12-09 16:27:40 HONG KONG, Dec. 9 (Xinhua) -- A strong earthquake measuring 7.0 on the Richter scale jolted the areas near Kermadec Islands in the Pacific Ocean at 0637 GMT Tuesday, the Hong Kong Observatory said in a news bulletin here Tuesday afternoon.
    The epicenter was immediately determined by the Hong Kong Observatory to be at 31.1 degrees south latitude and 177 degrees west longitude, or 1,000 kilometers northeast of Auckland, New Zealand.
    The depth of the earthquake was 35 km, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24800819-12377,00.html
From correspondents in Tokyo, Japan | December 15, 2008
Article from:  Agence France-Presse
A MODERATE 5.3-magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of the Japanese island of Honshu today, the US Geological Survey said.
No tsunami warning was immediately issued and there were no reports of damage.
The quake struck at 6:29 am (8:29pm GMT Sunday), with the epicentre off the island's east coast 296 kilometers from Morioka, the agency said. It was recorded at a depth of 31km.
Around 20 percent of the world's most powerful earthquakes strike Japan.

http://www.zeenews.com/world/2008-12-14/490990news.html
Moderate earthquake strikes off central Japanese coast

Tokyo, Dec 14: A moderate 4.5-magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of central Japan on Sunday but there was no risk of a tsunami, the Japan Meteorological Agency said, and no immediate reports of damage.

The tremor struck at 7:25 pm (1355 IST), with the epicentre in the Pacific Ocean off Ibaraki prefecture, some 150 kilometres from Tokyo, the agency said.

It was about 40 kilometres below sea level, according to the agency.

Around 20 percent of the world's most powerful earthquakes strike Japan.

Bureau Report

4.8 magnitude earthquake recorded in Alaska
The Olympian, WA - Dec 13, 2008
AP • Published December 13, 2008 KENAI, Alaska – The Alaska Earthquake Information Center says an earthquake that had a preliminary magnitude of 4.3 was ...

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-12/14/content_10501961.htm
Moderate earthquake jolts eastern Indonesia JAKARTA, Dec. 14 (Xinhua) -- A 5.5-magnitude earthquake shook Ambon in Eastern Indonesia's Maluku islands on early Sunday morning, without any injuries or damages reported yet, said the Indonesia Meteorology and Geophysics Agency quoted by the Jakarta Post. The quake occurred at 02:00 a.m. local time (1700 GMT Saturday),with the epicenter located 203 km northeast of Ambon and 10 km below the sea level. www.chinaview.cn  2008-12-14 11:40:28
Moderate earthquake rattles Greece, no injuries
TopNews, India - 13 Dec 2008
Athens - A moderate earthquake measuring 5.2 on the Richter scale shook central Greece on Saturday, but there were no immediate reports of injury, ...
5.2-Strong Earthquake Hits Greece Sofia News Agency
5.2-magnitude quake rattles central Greece International Herald Tribune
Quake shakes central Greece Athens News Agency
Times of India
all 11 news articles »

lyner

How important is E=mc^2
« Reply #66 on: 15/12/2008 18:10:06 »
I did a google on tides and earthquakes.
I was amazed at the number of sites where the correlation between high tides and the occurrence of earthquakes was taken as a possible causal relationship.
Precisely the same fields / accelerations act on the Earth's lithosphere as act on the sea and the ratio of masses is vast. How can they  consider the fleabite effect of the wafer-thin layer of water on the outside of the lithosphere and ignore the greater likelihood of  a direct effect between Moon / Sun and the main masses which constitute the lithosphere, mantle and core?
Have I missed something - other than the statistics, which simply show a connection?

You might as well say that wildlife, which sometimes reacts to an imminent Earthquake, is responsible for it.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
How important is E=mc^2
« Reply #67 on: 16/12/2008 10:08:50 »
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/246418,earthquake-rattles-southern-sweden-parts-of-denmark.html

Stockholm/Copenhagen - An earthquake believed to be the strongest in a century shook southern Sweden and parts of neighbouring Denmark early Tuesday, geological institutes said. There were no immediate reports of any injuries caused by the moderate earthquake, but some walls may have cracked. Emergency services received numerous calls from anxious people who woke up fearing an explosion.
According to the Seismological Insitute in Uppsala, Sweden, the earthquake measured between 4.5 and 5.0 on the Richter scale, making it the strongest in Sweden since 1904.
The institute said the epicentre was some 60 kilometers east of the city of Malmo and about 9 kilometres north-east of Ystad.
The Danish capital Copenhagen and parts of northern Zealand were also affected.

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
How important is E=mc^2
« Reply #68 on: 16/12/2008 10:14:57 »
Here is some information from the USGS. A friend of mine in Denmark commented about it, and in searching, I found that it was classified as a 4.7.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2008araj.php

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
How important is E=mc^2
« Reply #69 on: 16/12/2008 10:17:38 »
Tuesday, December 16, 2008 5:11 PM
Earthquake hits Bengkulu
The Jakarta Post ,  Jakarta   |  Tue, 12/16/2008 9:51 AM  |  National
A medium earthquake measuring 5.4 on the Richter Scale hit Bengkulu province Tuesday morning at 4:18 a.m., the Meteorology and Geophysics Agency (BMG) has said.

The earthquake's epicenter was 10 kilometers below sea level and did not trigger any tsunamis, as reported by tempointeraktif.com.

The earthquake could be felt by residents living across Sumatra, including Pagai Selatan Mentawai island, West Sumatra and Sungai Penuh up to Jambi. Residents of Muko-muko of Bengkulu reported especially strong tremors. (ewd)

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
How important is E=mc^2
« Reply #70 on: 16/12/2008 10:29:38 »
Sophie.

The movement of the tides provides us with a measure of the strength of the pull from the moon. A lot more is going on with the mass of the planet for sure, but the tides give us an observation on how much influence is taking place. With careful analysis of location of maximum pull and the release of the pull we could using existing data determine where the earthquakes are most likely to take place using a computer model.

It is very useful to note that following a full moon high tides rise and fall further during the days that follow which could account for the common delay of several days before a significant quake hits. The molten core must also be affected as the moons gravity counteracts upon our own, but difficult to determine by how much. Better to use the tides as a measure.

I did a google on tides and earthquakes.
I was amazed at the number of sites where the correlation between high tides and the occurrence of earthquakes was taken as a possible causal relationship.
Precisely the same fields / accelerations act on the Earth's lithosphere as act on the sea and the ratio of masses is vast. How can they  consider the fleabite effect of the wafer-thin layer of water on the outside of the lithosphere and ignore the greater likelihood of  a direct effect between Moon / Sun and the main masses which constitute the lithosphere, mantle and core?
Have I missed something - other than the statistics, which simply show a connection?

You might as well say that wildlife, which sometimes reacts to an imminent Earthquake, is responsible for it.

lyner

How important is E=mc^2
« Reply #71 on: 16/12/2008 10:48:47 »
following a full moon high tides rise and fall further
There are spring tides around full Moon AND new Moon. At new Moon, the Sun and Moon are on the same side.

My point was the implied causal connection which so many of the sites seem to imply.

You may be a bit 'hopeful' to suggest that "careful analysis" can do the job. The bulk behaviour would be predicatable if the structures were all uniform but the details of the lithosphere and the actual state of the convenction currents in the mantle are a bit of a mystery.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
How important is E=mc^2
« Reply #72 on: 16/12/2008 14:53:39 »
Aftershock from Swedish earthquake felt in Poland
http://www.polskieradio.pl/thenews/human-interest/?id=98205
Created: 16.12.2008 12:14
An earthquake of 4.5 to 5 points on the Richter scale rocked southern Sweden this morning – the aftershocks of which were felt in several regions of Poland – no one was hurt and nothing major has been reported damaged.

« Last Edit: 18/12/2008 11:07:40 by Andrew K Fletcher »

lyner

How important is E=mc^2
« Reply #73 on: 17/12/2008 12:24:56 »
Implying what?

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
How important is E=mc^2
« Reply #74 on: 18/12/2008 11:07:47 »
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-12/18/content_10525208.htm
Moderate earthquake jolts Gorontalo, Indonesia
 www.chinaview.cn  2008-12-18 17:00:33 JAKARTA, Dec. 18 (Xinhua) -- An earthquake measuring 5.2 on the Richter scale jolted Gorontalo province, Indonesia, on Thursday, but there is no immediate report of casualties and damage.
    The quake occurred at 11:03 p.m. local time (0403 GMT), according to information of the meteorological and geophysics agency.
    The epicenter of the quake was located at 1.36 degrees northern latitude and 122.21 degrees eastern longitude, at a depth of 10 km below sea level, around 132 km southwest of Gorontalo and North Sulawesi, the agency said.

The Naked Scientists Forum

How important is E=mc^2
« Reply #74 on: 18/12/2008 11:07:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums