The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Boiled eggs  (Read 13300 times)

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Boiled eggs
« Reply #25 on: 14/07/2003 21:10:08 »
Right, who owns some chickens and is willing to do a properly controlled experiment to sort this one out ?

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline dalya

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17/07/2003 16:44:51 »
Today I brought in some leftover salad for lunch.  Some of the boiled egg slices were yellow and others were grey.  They were from the same dozen eggs cooked in the same pot of water and in all other ways treated the same way.  I'm thinking it has something to do with the xhemical nature of individual yolks or perhaps the chicken -if someone does have chickens out there can you test whether the same chicken consistently produces grey or yellow yolks.

More egg questions:

Why doesn't egg salad go grey as quickly?  Mayo is just egg and oil -what is it about fat that preserves the yolk colour?  Is it kinda like mixing oil with pigment to make paint?  Is it just any ol' infusion process that keeps the colour?  Can any fat at all do this to yolks?  

And more importantly this one has been bugging me for years:

If you put an egg into water that isn't at a rolling boil, the fine membrane (can't recall it's name -aminotois?) between the shell and the white bits sticks to the shell and it's an absolute bitch to peel -when you take the shell off it also pulls away the white.  If you are up to the proper temps though, the membrane sticks to the white.  WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  The shell is porous which means that it will probably let in steam and a bit of water.  If you are at a rolling boil, you are hotter, so you should have more steam.  The steam should push the membrane AWAY from the shell rather than seal it ONTO the shell.  The way I figure it the eggs have got it all wrong.  What's going on in this scenario?

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19/07/2003 05:32:48 »
Doesn't potato salad have vinegar or lemon juice in it?  Could it be the vinegar in the mustard?  I know I use lemon juice when making salad to stop the avocado from turning brown.  Couldn't that have the same effect on the egg yolks?  But if they're already gray, then does it turn them yellow again?  In that case, maybe it's an acid/base type thing.  

Again, I always found that the fresher eggs are more prone to stick to the shell when hard boiled.  Maybe, the membrane separates some with age, thereby making them easier to peel.  You can boil old eggs any way you want and they don't stick to the shell.

Offline stikeebun

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17/10/2004 11:10:03 »
:)I've never been so entertained on a forum before!  

I was searching for the period of time a boiled egg remains fresh, if anybody can help with that one?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17/10/2004 20:15:41 »
When I was 11...I went to South Africa and rode on an Ostrich and I stood on some Ostrich eggs too........this has absolutely nothing to do with how long does a boiled egg last before it goes off, but I just wanted to tell everybody...so there !!...err....anyway....I reckon I wouldn't want to keep a boiled egg  the fridge longer than a couple of days....of course that's assuming you're talking about Hen eggs....you may be talking about cods roe or caviar, or quail eggs or Easter Bunny Eggs which last quite a while I understand untill I scoff em all .....:D

ps: welcome stikeebun:)

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline GOD

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 18/10/2004 19:16:23 »
Smite thee. Do not mention Easter. It doth upset me so :-(

I am GOD..You are Not..I don't exist !!

Offline Deano

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07/06/2005 11:57:21 »
[8D]I thought I was the only person in the world who was worried about the colour of boiled eggs. Thanks to you naked scientists I can now eat my rubbery grey eggs in confidence!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #31 on: 07/06/2005 11:57:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length