The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What would cause mould to grow on an electrical socket?  (Read 7562 times)

Offline NobodySavedMe

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 112
    • View Profile
I have noticed a green mold growing on electricty mains sockets.

When an electrical appliance is  plugged in/out the green mold is visible on the pins.

The pins appear slightly wet.The mold seems to be deep within the sockets.

Question is it dangerous, contagious, could it cause a fire?

I have noticed some other unrelated to the mains wires/cables seem to show a green mold growth over time.There is no indication of dampness.

What causes it.

Can it infect humans?

« Last Edit: 14/01/2009 22:45:30 by chris »


 

Offline BenV

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 1503
    • View Profile
Re: What would cause mould to grow on an electrical socket?
« Reply #1 on: 12/01/2009 13:30:43 »
Any dampness combined with electrical sockets is a worry, and this soundslike you have damp in the spaces inside your walls.  Mould can be dangerous to your health, so I'd get this looked at if I were you.  It may just be lifestyle damp (do you dry your clothes indoors?  How's your bathroom ventillation?) in which case you can solve most of it by purchasing a dehumidifier, but if there's something more serious behind the walls, it'll need work.
 

Offline dentstudent

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 3146
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
Re: What would cause mould to grow on an electrical socket?
« Reply #2 on: 12/01/2009 13:31:45 »
Isn't this oxidisation of the copper in the plug and socket?
 

Offline RD

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 8124
  • Thanked: 53 times
    • View Profile
Re: What would cause mould to grow on an electrical socket?
« Reply #3 on: 12/01/2009 21:58:06 »
Quote
On a couple of occasions people have reported a green liquid coming from electrical fittings in houses.
  It is described as being bright fluorescent green.

Is anyone familiar with this phenomenon, and can you explain what causes it?
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=103008

verdigris
« Last Edit: 12/01/2009 22:02:05 by RD »
 

Offline NobodySavedMe

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 112
    • View Profile
Re: What would cause mould to grow on an electrical socket?
« Reply #4 on: 12/01/2009 22:59:44 »
Any dampness combined with electrical sockets is a worry, and this soundslike you have damp in the spaces inside your walls.  Mould can be dangerous to your health, so I'd get this looked at if I were you.  It may just be lifestyle damp (do you dry your clothes indoors?  How's your bathroom ventillation?) in which case you can solve most of it by purchasing a dehumidifier, but if there's something more serious behind the walls, it'll need work.

Can I clean it by spraying bleach into the socket to kill the mold after unscrewing the socket from the wall without switching it off the mains but wearing rubber gloves left over from a hair dye kit..

Since the bleach will be sprayed into the cavity this will not cause a short circuit my neighbour says.

I don't want to have to set all the appliances clocks back up again.
 

Offline RD

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 8124
  • Thanked: 53 times
    • View Profile
Re: What would cause mould to grow on an electrical socket?
« Reply #5 on: 12/01/2009 23:25:42 »
It is not mould (fungi).  It is corrosion of copper components: the green stuff is copper salt, a.k.a. verdigris.

Do not use bleach : this will accelerate the corrosion.

Do not attempt to clean electrical outlets when they are still live    [xx(]

Have a qualified electrician look at the problem: there is moisture getting into your electrics.
« Last Edit: 12/01/2009 23:32:48 by RD »
 

Offline Karsten

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 701
    • View Profile
    • Fortunately still only a game
Re: What would cause mould to grow on an electrical socket?
« Reply #6 on: 13/01/2009 01:06:56 »
Yup, sounds like corrosion to me too. I have seen this green stuff. And as far as I know, metal does not mold. Nothing to eat there.

Karsten
 

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: What would cause mould to grow on an electrical socket?
« Reply #6 on: 13/01/2009 01:06:56 »

 

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums