The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Please Help me with this Handedness experts!!  (Read 3719 times)

Offline EverythingWantKnow

• First timers
    • View Profile
Please Help me with this Handedness experts!!
« on: 12/01/2009 13:55:13 »
  Hi there, I've just joined this site and i have a question. About my handedness.
Here goes, I've always thought that i am RIGHT handed and then one day i was curious and asked my parents, they told me that when i was young i hated writing and when my father told me to write which was the first time i ever write, i was reluctant which i don't really pay attention to it. The pencil was on my left side so i grab it with my left hand and start to scribble. Then my father took the pencil off my left hand and onto my right hand and guided me to write. From that instance onwards i've been using my right hand to write. I've read about left handers that are being forced to write with their right hand and the struggled, but i did not. I just changed after my dad put the pencil on my right hand. So my question is, Am i considered a converted righty?
Pls note: I throw a ball with my right

And i can write with my left hand now but just not as fast as my right hand.
« Last Edit: 12/01/2009 14:02:46 by EverythingWantKnow »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12/01/2009 14:18:02 »
It's an interesting point. At 1 time left-handed people were considered "odd" and it was discouraged. Even now, when children first pick up a pencil or crayon, they are often told to use their right hand. In fact it surprises me how people find out they are actually left-handed.

Injury or illnesses such as strokes can force people to use their "wrong" hand. Although initially awkward, it is a skill that can be mastered with practice.

As for whether you are a "converted righty", that's a tricky 1. Are there any things that you find easier with your left hand? With which foot do you have mmore control when kicking a ball?

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/01/2009 14:26:21 »
I have more control with my right foot, I've learnt Taekwondo and my right foot is always dominant haha.
Hmm i like to use my left hand to type my phone messages but i can type equally well with my right hand though.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/01/2009 17:28:20 »
Sounds like you're ambidextrous.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/01/2009 22:48:36 »
The thing is, people who are born 'lefthanded' are able to convert, if they are forced to, to use their right hand. Whereas people who are born 'righthanded' are not able to do this.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12/01/2009 22:52:11 »
I beg to differ. I know a right-handed person who learned to play the guitar left-handed as he was fanatical about Jimi Hendrix.

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13/01/2009 01:06:36 »
I think i might be Ambidextrous or Mix handed

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13/01/2009 02:03:31 »
I beg to differ. I know a right-handed person who learned to play the guitar left-handed as he was fanatical about Jimi Hendrix.
Well okay [:I], it wasn't my idea :), I just read it somewhere. [8D]

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14/01/2009 02:15:31 »
Well okay [:I], it wasn't my idea :), I just read it somewhere. [8D]

Don't believe everything you read on people's T-shirts.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14/01/2009 02:34:37 »
Okay Sir!

Offline OldDragon

• Heaven doesn't want me & the devil's afraid to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18/01/2009 18:35:05 »
The first time I picked up a guitar someone remarked 'Oh,you are left-handed.'

God knows what I am - mixed up for sure. I write mainly with my right hand, but were I to use the left, I'd mirror-write naturally from right to left. I pour a kettle or saucepan with the left hand and stir a cuppa with the right. I use a billhook with the left, a scythe with the right... Perhaps because the first one I picked up was a right-handed one?

I gather it is all supposed to be to do with brain lateralisation.

When I go for an eye test, I naturally read the reflected eye chart from right to left unless I really concentrate and force myself to do that left to right.

As a child I used to use crayons with both hands, and until witnessing the treatment dished out by teachers to anyone in the class caught writing with their left hand! Call it survival!

Took part in some research years ago that linked Scandinavian bloodlines/ancestry with both left-handedness and dyslexia, and if you examine the ancient writings of various cultures, many of those were written and read from right to left, which tends to indicate left-handedness as being predominant at the time those writings were created.

Many people who are dyslexic have above average IQs, too, which may also relate to brain lateralisation.

Fascinating subject.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 18/01/2009 18:35:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums