The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do I have to set my fridge colder in very cold climates?  (Read 36180 times)

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why do I have to set my fridge colder in very cold climates?
« Reply #25 on: 25/01/2009 23:29:27 »
Did you pay a lot for the item?
It was in the medium price range, $1400 NZD there and there abouts...

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #26 on: 26/01/2009 12:33:39 »
LeeE
I can see how your, relatively simple, system would need to be turned down in cold weather. What you say makes perfect sense.But I haven't come across a FFr that had no regulation of the freezer section. I bet the freezer isn't rated as ****.

It's rated as *(***), which seems to be the highest rating according to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refrigerator#Temperature_zones_and_ratings

Note that the freezer compartment isn't full-sized though; it's only about one third of the size of the fridge compartment, which may be a factor.

lyner

« Reply #27 on: 26/01/2009 17:37:55 »
Sorry for dissin your white goods bro'.
I guess we'll never know the real answer - I bet the warning is based on a poor past design and they never thought to take it out of future handbooks.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #28 on: 26/01/2009 23:28:47 »
Sorry for dissin your white goods bro'

No problem.  It doesn't seem to be sulking or anything atm, but if it breaks down tomorrow I'll know who to blame.

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Fortunately still only a game
« Reply #29 on: 28/12/2009 22:53:31 »
(...)
The problems occur when the ambient air is too cold and fridge is being asked to worked outside the limits of it's thermostat setting. Without the compressor being turned on by the fridge compartment, although the fridge compartment will be fine, freezing cannot be maintained within the freezer - again down to insulation.

It might seem pretty naff, but this is why there are guidelines as to ambient air operating temperatures for each particular unit.

In order to have temperature control over both fridge and freezer compartments, you would need separate cooling systems for each.  On a single cooling system, the fridge compartment is where you are likely to want some control - as long as the freezer freezes the food, then why would you want to alter this setting.

I am sure glad I found this thread again. I vaguely remembered the gist but it explains perfectly what was going on with my fridge.

I noticed the other day that in my house (which is at 4 Degree Celsius when I am not there - which is a lot at the moment) that the stuff in my freezer seemed to be thawing. It made no sense! Why would my fridge have a harder time cooling the freezer if the ambient temperature is colder? But I believe the answer is that the thermostat is in the fridge compartment and the fridge does not kick in often enough to keep the freezer cool enough and its contents deep frozen. I turned it higher and all is well.

BTW, not an old model. Energy star rated and bought 3 months ago. But it seems this company does not plan for anyone letting their house temperature drop to just above freezing.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #29 on: 28/12/2009 22:53:31 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums