The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Warm water and peeing yourself  (Read 5054 times)

Offline Les the Scientist

• View Profile
Warm water and peeing yourself
« on: 12/04/2005 23:38:39 »
Ok, so if you stick someone's hand into warm water while they're asleep  they soil themselves !  How the hell does that work ?

Offline sixelms

• View Profile
Re: Warm water and peeing yourself
« Reply #1 on: 13/04/2005 08:50:53 »
Yes, I remember that too. I always thought it was an old wives tale. I'd love to know whether it's true or not.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17/04/2005 19:22:28 »
I've heard that too....as a firm believer in empirical study, tonight , when wifey is alseep....hang on !!....that's my bed too !!.....sorry, won't be performing that experiment !!.....but I want to know the answer too

Could it be a 'I'm back in the womb  and I'll crap and pee to my hearts content' type thing happening here ?....hang on !! (again) Babies inside mummies, do they crap and pee or not ?

...anyway. lets hope a passing 'siesta dormancy hand in warm water bowl expert' passes and enlightens us

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Quantum cat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/04/2005 23:05:31 »
Nah they don't have the eliminate wastes, their wastes go through the embilical cord back to mum to get rid of.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19/04/2005 00:14:33 »
Thanks Erin.......great to see you back :-)

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #5 on: 19/04/2005 15:40:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep
Babies inside mummies, do they crap and pee or not ?

The amniotic fluid that surrounds the baby is partly urine made by the developing kidneys. The baby continuously swallows it, and then reproduces it. So no one can deny having drunk their own urine at some point.

Babies don't generally crap in their amniotic sac because they are not eating anything and hence there is nothing to pass through them.

However, late in development, and usually due to foetal distress during, for instance, a prolonged labour, they can sometimes poo in their uterine paddling pool and pass a thick substance called 'meconium' which is the developmental debris left over from the growth of the intestines. It tends to be thick and sticky and the downside of it being in the amniotic sac is that the baby can breathe it in, causing respiratory problems following delivery.

For this reason, babies showing signs of distress are often delivered by caesarian to minimise the risk.

chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 19/04/2005 15:40:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums