The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why does the moon look different in the northern and southern hemispheres?  (Read 4385 times)

John S Mc Fall

John S Mc Fall asked the Naked Scientists:

3 nights ago, the UK Media advised the public of a major phenomenon ie the Moon was passing the earth closer than for many, many years and would appear 40% larger than normal, this event would coincide with a display of meteor showers.

We live outside of Cape Town, how come we didn't see anything in the southern hemisphere and I kept going outside for a look. What is the explanation for the fact that the southern hemisphere was excluded from the event?

Very kind regards,
John Mc Fall

What do you think?

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
Quote from: John
3 nights ago, the UK Media advised the public of a major phenomenon ie the Moon was passing the earth closer than for many, many years and would appear 40% larger than normal, this event would coincide with a display of meteor showers.
This don't look right to me. Are you sure it was the moon? I think the moon pretty well stays put in orbit and doesn't vary in distance by very much. Certainly not 40%. ??:

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
Okay that makes sense. It appears 40% larger because of where the full moon happens in the elliptical orbit. I wouldn't think the southern hemisphere would be excluded.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
You are misquoting the size increase was 14% (not 40)and that was probably over the minimum size rather than the average.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums