The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Would you keep exotic pets?  (Read 9796 times)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Would you keep exotic pets?
« on: 16/01/2009 10:03:07 »
I have two Mediterranean Spur Thigh Tortoises. I did not buy them and would not have chosen to have them as pets. They were, in effect, rescued from a fate worse than death.

We now know how much suffering, pain and death comes from the trade in exotic pets, yet still the practice of capture and transport of these unfortunate animals for the fulfilment of demand from the pet trade continues.

So I congratulate the Chilean Navy for this http://uk.reuters.com/news/video?videoId=97026&videoChannel=76

Would you buy exotic pets knowing that this is what they go through before being sold to the pet shops?

These animals are having a tough enough time as it is through Man’s relentless expansion. Leave them where they belong, make do with a cat or dog (preferably Mongrel) if you must have a pet.

blakestyger

« Reply #1 on: 16/01/2009 12:25:25 »
You are right about mongrels - they have hybrid vigour. I live in north-west Norfolk where the lower orders rate themselves by their dangerous pets. Unfortunately, if they are offered for sale people will buy them.

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/01/2009 14:56:44 »
We've just adopted kittens - they're brothers and one is black & white, while the other's a tabby - there's a pretty good indication that these aren't pure bred animals!

Offline MonikaS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16/01/2009 22:15:02 »
Currently I don't have time for any pet. But if I would ever want an exotic pet, I'd make sure it's not caught in the wild. Or I'd get a cat couple from the animal shelter.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17/01/2009 17:49:06 »
I wouldn't keep an "exotic" animal as a pet. However, I have always wanted to have a little zoo with animals such as tapirs and capybara. Licences are needed for such animals and I would ony acquire them through legitimate, ethical channels.
« Last Edit: 20/01/2009 19:33:55 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20/01/2009 10:51:46 »
Capybara are lovely.  I secretly harbour desires to genetically modify lots of exotic animals to be approx the size of rats, then I could have a herd of desktop gazelle, or a family of mini elephants  in the living room...

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20/01/2009 10:55:31 »
Capybara are lovely.  I secretly harbour desires to genetically modify lots of exotic animals to be approx the size of rats, then I could have a herd of desktop gazelle, or a family of mini elephants  in the living room...

Then would you also need a family or two of elephant dung-beetles? And lions too, to keep down the numbers of gazelle? You don't want a gazillion gazelle...

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20/01/2009 12:00:48 »
I could have an entire desktop ecosystem...

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20/01/2009 19:35:56 »
I could have an entire desktop ecosystem...

You strange person

Offline atrox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23/01/2009 13:54:27 »
I´m not much of a fan of keeping exotics at home.
I have 2 rabbits living cageless in my appartment and 2 gerbils left...all of them are "second hand" pets.
I used to work at an wild and exotic animal shelter.
It was pretty hard to see, how most of these exotics had to suffer before they came to us.
We sheltered from snails, snakes, iguanas and other saurians of any size (from lizard to caiman), tortoises (even big ones from the Seychelles!) and lots and lots of different birds, especially parrots. It was sad to see how most of them where physical and psychological disordered.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #10 on: 23/01/2009 14:18:44 »
Quite right Atrox, these animals do not belong in our homes and/or gardens, they belong in the wild. As you rightly say Parrots are often badly affected by being kept as pets, especially where they are left alone for long periods.

Are you aware of the Terraristika show held in Hamm? I have spoken out against this event on many occasions and would be interested to know if there is any consensus for or against in Germany.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23/01/2009 18:48:58 »
Gongolo!  :o

Offline atrox

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26/01/2009 11:58:45 »
Are you aware of the Terraristika show held in Hamm? I have spoken out against this event on many occasions and would be interested to know if there is any consensus for or against in Germany.

Not really. Even the big animal rights organisations are more or less interessted in other topics. My boss of the animal shelter I worked in used to check at such shows, if all these exhibitors have the documents they need... otherwise the exotics of these exhibitors came to the shelter.
Most oft the exotics we got throughout the time I worked there (about 500- 800 only exotics a year) didn´t have the needed CITES documents..

paul.fr

« Reply #13 on: 05/03/2009 22:03:04 »
Don,
you may find this interesting:

Talk of the Nation, March 4, 2009 · In February, a pet chimpanzee named Travis mauled a guest in his owner's home, and police shot and killed him. Travis was raised by his owner and treated like family.

The attack raises questions about whether primates and other exotic animals can be kept responsibly as pets. Tell us: Do you have an exotic pet? How is caring for your pet different from a typical house pet?

Guests:

Jane Goodall, primatologist, ethologist, and founder of the Jane Goodall Institute

Nancy Nighswander, federal legislation director for the Uniting a Proactive Primate and Exotic Animal League

Donna Leinwand, reporter for USA Today
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=101430578

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #14 on: 06/03/2009 10:40:33 »
Thanks for the link Paul.

I found myself in total agreement with Jane Goodall. As for the second speaker, Nancy Nighswander, she displayed herself to be concerned only with the 'right' for people to keep exotic animals as 'pets'. She obviously has no concern for 'rights' or wellbeing of the animals. As the 'owner' of a Cougar, amongst others, she displays her total lack of understanding of the needs of wild animals to be free. I wonder if she would like to be caged for her entire life?

I am not an animal rights activist. Far from condoning the actions of such groups, I condemn their often dangerous, ill conceived and frequently downright stupid approach to their goal, but listening to a person such as Nancy Nighswander, I can understand their frustration.

On many Tortoise forums, you will read of Tortoises displayed for sale in pet shops. These animals, which are frequently wild caught individuals, are reported as being kept in 'wholly unsuitable conditions' and/or 'displaying signs of stress' and 'being incorrectly fed'. It is also, more often than not, reported that the pet shop staff/owner gives the customer inaccurate or totally wrong information on how to keep a Tortoise and will sell the animal with a vivarium set-up costing £100 or more. The only thing the pet shop will get right, is telling the customer to come back regularly to replace the UV lamp. But this is not done out of a sense of welfare for the animal. No, this is done purely to ensure the pet shop's continued profit from the animal.

There have been cases of pet shops selling juvenile Tortoises to people saying the animal will grow to about the size of a dinner plate. After a few years it becomes apparent to the owner that this Tortoise is getting much bigger than a large platter. This is when they discover they have been sold a Sulcata, which may grow to 2 – 2 ½ ft long (shell length) and weigh 50kgs +, or an Aldabra, which will grow to about 4ft (shell length) and weigh ¼ of a ton. That is all supposing the owner has taken the trouble to research the proper care methods for their animal, to ensure it survives.

I'm sure that similar stories will be the case for other exotic 'pets'. Ill informed pet shop owners and staff will sell you anything they can. These pet traders are in the business for profit and nothing else.

Please don’t get me wrong, I do not condemn all pet traders. There are the responsible traders who will have a good knowledge of the animals they sell, willingly impart such knowledge to pet owners and restrict their business to the sale of animals suited to life with humans. The dog is probably the best example of such animals. There is good evidence to suggest that dogs and man came together out of a mutual benefit. Sadly, man betrayed our companions, the result being the pedigree dogs with all their problems, we know today. (Perhaps this would suggest that man should leave all animals to be free, since we obviously cannot be trusted as companions.)

Suitability of an animal to live with man is a contentious subject. What constitutes suitability? What constitutes ‘exotic’. We keep dogs as pets, but would we keep a Hyena?  We keep cats, but would we keep a Bengal Tiger? We keep Mice and other rodents, but would we keep a Capybara or Beaver (sorry Doctor Beaver, felt the need for a little levity here and couldn’t resist an inference to you!). Should we keep only those animals with which we have a two-way relationship? In which case, what constitutes an interactive relationship? Which animals are ‘safe’ to have in our homes as pets? Even the most docile of pedigree dogs can turn into killers. What type of home is suitable for what type of animal?

There are so many questions with no definitive answer. What we must consider is this, if we bring an animal into our home as a pet, it is we who must adapt our home and our ways to needs of that animal. After all, we chose to bring the animal into our home, it did not come voluntarily. The animal must be given all the space, freedom and conditions it would enjoy in it’s natural habitat. If we cannot, or are not prepared to, give the animal that which it requires for a healthy and happy life, we should not take that animal for a pet.

paul.fr

« Reply #15 on: 06/03/2009 12:16:38 »
Thanks for the link Paul.

I found myself in total agreement with Jane Goodall. As for the second speaker, Nancy Nighswander, she displayed herself to be concerned only with the 'right' for people to keep exotic animals as 'pets'.

Totally agree. I was amazed to learn that monkeys are trained to help the disabled, I have never heard of this before, and am not sure how I feel about it.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #16 on: 06/03/2009 13:01:48 »
........I was amazed to learn that monkeys are trained to help the disabled, I have never heard of this before, and am not sure how I feel about it.

I first heard of this, it must be some 30 years ago. I distinctly remember seeing an article on the TV in which a monkey was shown doing simple tasks for a disabled person, then being rewarded with a piece of fruit. While I found it amazing to see this monkey's display of intelligence, I could not help but think that the poor animal was really nothing more than a slave. A great help to the disabled, I've no doubt, but at what cost to the monkey? What does that animal get out of this relationship? I do get annoyed when I see some blind people treating their guide dog as just that. A pair of eye's to be treated in much the same way as a white stick. Fortunately, such instances are rare.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #16 on: 06/03/2009 13:01:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums