The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: double slit experement  (Read 15195 times)

lyner

double slit experement
« Reply #25 on: 26/01/2009 22:44:27 »
There ARE no 'real' rainbows. They are virtual images.
please explain ?
Google it. There are hundreds of links with diagrams showing how a rainbow is formed. It's no more 'there' than the image you see in a mirror; they are both virtual images. Do some elementary, School optics and you will see the difference between real and virtual images; there is a subtle but relevant difference.
It worries me that you can have such strong opinions about deep matters involving quantum Physics and the like if you seem not to know that.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
double slit experement
« Reply #26 on: 26/01/2009 23:45:32 »
Frosty:)

When white light meets a prism (open an old binocular and try it:) it will break up in different wavelengths.
when those 'hit' your retina your brain will translate them into different colors.
that will then be your 'rainbow'.

A drop of water on a leaf if you make a small hole will act a 'magnifying device' concentrating the light, and if I remember right you can even use it to set fire to underlying materials, just like a magnifying glass.

That experiment will show you that water acts very much like any other transparent medium.
From that it's not such a jump to guess that light when 'falling through' a raindrop can be split into different wavelengths.
Much in the same way as through that prism.

I think you will find this interesting.
http://www.sciencecentric.com/news/article.php?q=07111507

"As different component 'colours' of white light have different frequencies each individual frequency would therefore be stopped at a different stage down the taper, thereby creating the 'trapped rainbow.'"
« Last Edit: 26/01/2009 23:49:59 by yor_on »

fr0sty

double slit experement
« Reply #27 on: 27/01/2009 02:02:47 »
There ARE no 'real' rainbows. They are virtual images.
please explain ?
Google it. There are hundreds of links with diagrams showing how a rainbow is formed. It's no more 'there' than the image you see in a mirror; they are both virtual images. Do some elementary, School optics and you will see the difference between real and virtual images; there is a subtle but relevant difference.
It worries me that you can have such strong opinions about deep matters involving quantum Physics and the like if you seem not to know that.

lol it worries me that you was told a lie when u was young and still grasp that lie even now and then think you understand quantom Physics,

fr0sty

double slit experement
« Reply #28 on: 27/01/2009 02:56:25 »
Frosty:)

When white light meets a prism (open an old binocular and try it:) it will break up in different wavelengths.
when those 'hit' your retina your brain will translate them into different colors.
that will then be your 'rainbow'.

A drop of water on a leaf if you make a small hole will act a 'magnifying device' concentrating the light, and if I remember right you can even use it to set fire to underlying materials, just like a magnifying glass.

That experiment will show you that water acts very much like any other transparent medium.
From that it's not such a jump to guess that light when 'falling through' a raindrop can be split into different wavelengths.
Much in the same way as through that prism.

I think you will find this interesting.
http://www.sciencecentric.com/news/article.php?q=07111507

"As different component 'colours' of white light have different frequencies each individual frequency would therefore be stopped at a different stage down the taper, thereby creating the 'trapped rainbow.'"
lol lol lol you shown you havent looked at my videos,on my rainbow video im using a prism (got 4 out om my pair of binoculars),you hit the nail on the head about the drop of rain like a magnifying glass,but you ha vent looked at a lens proply my video has done the thinking for you ;) earths atmosphere is round ?YES NO ? the surface of the round IF IT IS ROUND, atmosphere,is same as the shape of a convex lens,YES ?? NO ?? now you can look at my video if you want iv pointed out where the convex lens splits light at the edge (come on we all know the tapering angle of the lens splits the light in to its colours)and projests a rainbow
feature=channel_page
i cannot see many peeking,in my7 pic iv sprayed rain in every direction within the bands of colour and rain stayed that colour until it passed to next band, I SEE O VIDEO ON YOURTUBE of a helicopter flying over angle falls yesterday and as it was going over the top i thought yes show me a good video of a (fallen over rainbow ie showing just the left hand side of bow top and bottom)
but it surprised me even more because as the helicopter passed over the rainbow was lying down flat in the mist and spray,the link to (just found another)is on my youtube page but  dont think i will get many looking im surprised i havent been kicked yet from here :)

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
double slit experement
« Reply #29 on: 27/01/2009 07:11:25 »
what is this a test for a 4 year old ?? im getting more confused a c[lock in orbit takes longer to do 1 full days rotation,or are you on about atomic clock ?

No, it doesn't matter what type of clock it is, because it's time itself that is dilated. Because a clock in orbit is moving faster than us relative to the earth time passes slower for it (relative to our own clock). Even a clock on top of a water tower runs slower, which was one of the experiments that supported Einstein's theory of general relativity.

So time is not just a man made concept.

fr0sty

double slit experement
« Reply #30 on: 27/01/2009 07:31:30 »
what is this a test for a 4 year old ?? im getting more confused a c[lock in orbit takes longer to do 1 full days rotation,or are you on about atomic clock ?

No, it doesn't matter what type of clock it is, because it's time itself that is dilated. Because a clock in orbit is moving faster than us relative to the earth time passes slower for it (relative to our own clock). Even a clock on top of a water tower runs slower, which was one of the experiments that supported Einstein's theory of general relativity.

So time is not just a man made concept.
so let me get this right you say we have no choice in life ?that our death is pre determined no matter what we do ??
time is not us and to think it is is sad,
to not think that the way of telling time is getting distorted and not time its self is so closed minded,i watched a video of my lover who died on 24/03/08 Caroline Lee R.I.P, but did i think i went back in time ? im looking at light that was captured when she was alive (i know converted to dig then the convertion might not be same refresh rate as the real world)

lyner

double slit experement
« Reply #31 on: 27/01/2009 07:55:09 »
fr0sty
Could you explain to me how the formation of a rainbow is different from how I was taught? Also, where is there a lump of water up there which can act 'like a prism' and where is there a screen to project the image on?

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
double slit experement
« Reply #32 on: 27/01/2009 07:55:34 »
so let me get this right you say we have no choice in life ?that our death is pre determined no matter what we do ??

No, I am not saying what happens throughout time is predetermined, just that time flows differently for one frame of reference relative to another. If you travelled in a spaceship near to the speed of light for a few years (a few years by your calendar in the ship) then returned to earth you may find decades have passed on earth.

to not think that the way of telling time is getting distorted and not time its self is so closed minded

I'm close-minded? The reason I believe this is because of evidence, experiments have confirmed that time passes slower the closer you get to the speed of light. Do you think the scientific community just took Einsteins word for it and never questioned it? It has been rigorously tested by experiment. In fact, a GPS would not work correctly without taking this into account, because time is different for the satellites. It would indeed be interesting if time travel was possible so you could go back and let him know what a close-minded individual he is. I agree with Sophiecentaur that you need to learn to crawl before you can walk, especially if you're going to be telling people they're walking wrong.

And sorry for the loss of your lover but you're not looking at light that was captured when she was alive, you're looking at information that was captured when she was alive. But I don't see why you bring that up because I didn't say anything about records being time-travel.

« Last Edit: 27/01/2009 08:02:46 by Madidus_Scientia »

fr0sty

double slit experement
« Reply #33 on: 27/01/2009 08:14:36 »

No, I am not saying what happens throughout time is predetermined, just that time flows differently for one frame of reference relative to another. If you travelled in a spaceship near to the speed of light for a few years (a few years by your calendar in the ship) then returned to earth you may find decades have passed on earth.

to not think that the way of telling time is getting distorted and not time its self is so closed minded

I'm close-minded? The reason I believe this is because of evidence, experiments have confirmed that time passes slower the closer you get to the speed of light. Do you think the scientific community just took Einsteins word for it and never questioned it? It has been rigorously tested by experiment. It would indeed be interesting if time travel was possible so you could go back and let him know what a close-minded individual he is. I agree with Sophiecentaur that you need to learn to crawl before you can walk, especially if you're going to be telling people they're walking wrong.

And sorry for the loss of your lover but you're not looking at light that was captured when she was alive, you're looking at information that was captured when she was alive. But I don't see why you bring that up because I didn't say anything about records being time-travel.
thanks
so lets get this straight if i put a plant under a light bulb, in a dark room and change the time the light falls on the plant,ie the length of day light and the lengh of night,does time travel happen for the plant ?

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
double slit experement
« Reply #34 on: 27/01/2009 08:18:42 »
No
« Last Edit: 27/01/2009 08:24:05 by Madidus_Scientia »

fr0sty

double slit experement
« Reply #35 on: 27/01/2009 08:22:40 »
No
sorry no ? no what please explain as you seem to understand time ?

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
double slit experement
« Reply #36 on: 27/01/2009 08:24:16 »
The plant won't age any slower just because you control its environment. What i'm talking about isn't time travel, just time dilation

fr0sty

double slit experement
« Reply #37 on: 27/01/2009 08:27:49 »
The plant won't age any slower just because you control its environment. What i'm talking about isn't time travel, just time dilation
im sorry i must be mad i thought that growers of plants shorten the light to sped up life cycle,or they are mad to think the plants mature sooner if they do it,but thing is they get more crops a year that way or am i telling fibs or are the growers telling fibs ?

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
double slit experement
« Reply #38 on: 27/01/2009 08:33:34 »
The plant is adapting to its environment, time is not passing faster. If you sit a clock next to the plant it isn't going to go faster or slower.

fr0sty

double slit experement
« Reply #39 on: 27/01/2009 08:46:25 »
The plant is adapting to its environment, time is not passing faster. If you sit a clock next to the plant it isn't going to go faster or slower.
see the mistake you are makeing you bring man in to the sum by putting a clock in to it,with out man time does not exsist,

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
double slit experement
« Reply #40 on: 27/01/2009 09:17:51 »
That's like saying without a microscope bacteria don't exist

fr0sty

double slit experement
« Reply #41 on: 27/01/2009 09:40:17 »
That's like saying without a microscope bacteria don't exist
lol see now i can see how you think with a reply like that lol

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
double slit experement
« Reply #42 on: 27/01/2009 09:51:16 »
So what experiment do you propose to show us where Einstein went wrong?

fr0sty

double slit experement
« Reply #43 on: 27/01/2009 09:54:47 »
So what experiment do you propose to show us where Einstein went wrong?
im still looking for a bit of thought from you your microscope and bacteria one wanst same as with out man there would be no time,with out feet there would be no shoes,now your turn,show you can think and not just repet what you have been told

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
double slit experement
« Reply #44 on: 27/01/2009 10:04:11 »
"Without man time does not exist"

A clock and a microscope are both man made instruments, through them we can measure or see things we otherwise could not. But time exists regardless of whether we measure it, a bacteria exists regardless of whether we can see it.

The laws of the universe are the way they are regardless of the existance of mankind or our ability to measure them

Are you saying it's just our clocks malfunctioning that causes the difference in time?

« Last Edit: 27/01/2009 10:06:11 by Madidus_Scientia »

fr0sty

double slit experement
« Reply #45 on: 27/01/2009 10:17:31 »
"Without man time does not exist"

A clock and a microscope are both man made instruments, through them we can measure or see things we otherwise could not. But time exists regardless of whether we measure it, a bacteria exists regardless of whether we can see it.

The laws of the universe are the way they are regardless of the existance of mankind or our ability to measure them

Are you saying it's just our clocks malfunctioning that causes the difference in time?

lol see you still on microscope and bactraira ?? lets try another with out a foot ball there would be no game called foot ball,untill you can see the microscope reference is nothing

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
double slit experement
« Reply #46 on: 27/01/2009 10:33:07 »
I was "still on it" because I was under the impression you wanted me to explain.

I just realised I mixed up general and special relativity
Even a clock on top of a water tower runs slower, which was one of the experiments that supported Einstein's theory of general relativity.
, it's the lower clock that runs slower because of its lower potential in a gravitational field. Gravity also effects time.

lets try another with out a foot ball there would be no game called foot ball

But if there is a football, it still exists regardless if anyone is around to play with it. A lone football floating through the universe doesn't need man to make it exist. The same way time exists whether we're around or not.

fr0sty

double slit experement
« Reply #47 on: 27/01/2009 10:35:16 »
I was "still on it" because I was under the impression you wanted me to explain.

I just realised I mixed up general and special relativity
Even a clock on top of a water tower runs slower, which was one of the experiments that supported Einstein's theory of general relativity.
, it's the lower clock that runs slower because of its lower potential in a gravitational field. Gravity also effects time.

lets try another with out a foot ball there would be no game called foot ball

But if there is a football, it still exists regardless if anyone is around to play with it. A lone football floating through the universe doesn't need man to make it exist. The same way time exists whether we're around or not.
ok you win doctor who does exsist you make total sence there ok

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
double slit experement
« Reply #48 on: 27/01/2009 12:11:27 »
Frosty?
Are you 'trolling' here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
--

It's rather sad if so.

Arguing just for arguing's sake becomes fast boring .
If so, take it to another forum please.

« Last Edit: 27/01/2009 12:20:35 by yor_on »

fr0sty

double slit experement
« Reply #49 on: 27/01/2009 12:49:53 »
Frosty?
Are you 'trolling' here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
--

It's rather sad if so.

Arguing just for arguing's sake becomes fast boring .
If so, take it to another forum please.

no but if that is the brains you have here then im off i thought there might be 1 who can think here but seems not IF YOU CANNOT SEWE HOW MAD HIS REPLYS WERE AND NOT WORTHY OF REPLYING AND HE IS A HERO LOL AND YOU ARE A WHAT AND YOU THINK IM TROOLING THEN SEND ME A LINK ON WHAT IT MEANS THINK YOU ALL BETTER DELETE MY ACCOUNT AND CARRY ON IN YOUR DREAM WORLD DIDNT RELISE THIS PLACE WAS RUN BY PARROTS THAT CANNOT THINK BYEE

The Naked Scientists Forum

double slit experement
« Reply #49 on: 27/01/2009 12:49:53 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums