The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: 64 bit windows 7  (Read 4924 times)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
64 bit windows 7
« on: 19/01/2009 21:48:00 »
If anyone wants any help running windows 7 on 64 bit give me a call as I think I have most of the problems solved

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
64 bit windows 7
« Reply #1 on: 23/01/2009 00:12:21 »
Is this regarding the time-bombed public-beta of the new shell for the Vista kernel?  For that is all that Windows 7 comprises.

In any case, this is an extremely short-term view.

Within the next two decades all software will be designed and implemented by AIs.  Your OS will be an AI, which will be able to probe any hardware plugged in to the hardware it has access to and devise a driver for it.  It will communicate with all the other AIs and come to a consensus on the optimum solution, not only for drivers but for application programs too.

This is inevitable, and arguments about whether proprietary or open-source software is best will be redundant.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
64 bit windows 7
« Reply #2 on: 28/01/2009 15:53:16 »
And when you want to use it...
It will most patiently explain to us lesser beings why it can't be bothered.

----
Sponsored by..

Dos...

The trustworthy alternative:)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
64 bit windows 7
« Reply #3 on: 29/01/2009 20:50:37 »
Blow DOS whats wrong with CPM ?.

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
64 bit windows 7
« Reply #4 on: 07/02/2009 15:00:04 »
And when you want to use it...
It will most patiently explain to us lesser beings why it can't be bothered.

----
Sponsored by..

Dos...

The trustworthy alternative:)
Yeah; makes me a little worried. When will all the AI's conspire to take over [?] :) IMHO there wouldn't be much we "lesser beings" could do about it.

Edit: Except maybe pull the plug  :-\ :-\
« Last Edit: 07/02/2009 15:33:05 by Vern »

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
64 bit windows 7
« Reply #5 on: 07/02/2009 15:48:15 »
I think that there may be a (not so) little bit of projection going on here, combined with some misunderstanding of AIs in general.

First of all, AIs, at least now and for the foreseeable future, are not and will not be sentient.  They are more like insects and while they may be capable of an incredibly wide range of analytical and response behaviours, they don't really have any motivation beyond what's coded in to them, either genetically, as with insects, or algorithmically, as with AIs; they don't look forward to getting home after a hard days work to watch TV and don't think that if they work extra hard they'll get a promotion.  The key difference between rules-based software and AIs is that AIs are able to devise their own sets of complexly interrelating rules, which can be adapted to meet changing circumstances, as opposed to having an initial set of rules, thought out by their designer, and which can't be changed without the designer working them all out again.

This isn't to say that achieving sentience is not a target of AI research and development, which it is, but because we don't really understand how sentience works it's difficult see how we can truly achieve it, even if we can already mimic it.

The other aspect of this is the projection issue.  Why do we assume that AIs will behave the same as we do and, especially, incorporate all the same exploitative and destructive flaws?  Perhaps it is because most people don't realise how irrational and psychotic the human race is in general and think that this is normal (although perhaps nominal is a better word - normal is the majority, so I guess it is normal, really).  I think that before people start worrying about malign AIs taking over the world they should spend some time thinking about what would motivate such behaviour and how it would result in benefit for the AIs.  The only plausible scenario I can come up with is if humans were to threaten the existence of these hypothetical sentient AIs because of fear, which might become self forefilling, especially while there are still so many people who seem to believe that everyone else should live according to the rules required by their personal belief in the existence an unnecessary and unprovable deity.

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
64 bit windows 7
« Reply #6 on: 07/02/2009 17:48:04 »
LeeE; I agree fully; I wonder that if being sentient, would the AI then be self aware? I don't think the two are exactly the same thing.

The Naked Scientists Forum

64 bit windows 7
« Reply #6 on: 07/02/2009 17:48:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums