The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Basic properties of subatomic particles  (Read 3685 times)

Offline realmswalker

• View Profile
Basic properties of subatomic particles
« on: 18/04/2005 01:42:45 »
If i was to try to make a realitsic simulation of several atoms i would obviously start on the subatomic level (for realism). At what level should i start? protrons neutrons and electrons? or smaller than that? Any advice on what properties i should include (such as gravity, charge, w/e)?
thanks for the help

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
Re: Basic properties of subatomic particles
« Reply #1 on: 18/04/2005 10:43:27 »
simulating atoms is a difficult problem, mainly because computers don't simulate quantum mechanics well. I think the best simulations using very optimised code and very large computers, can manage about a hundred atoms, I am guessing all they are dealing with is the electrons and some form of simplified nucleus. If you start dealing with other forces and particles it gets a whole lot worse very quickly.

So essentially you want to model as few particles and forces as you can get away with. Out of interest what are you doing the simulation for?

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18/04/2005 18:17:15 »
The answer depends upon the accuracy requirements, or what it is you are looking for. An atom can be modeled perfectly well with a point for the nucleus, and points for the electrons. Errors are very tiny for lighter elements. Heavier elements show larger errors.

Offline realmswalker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19/04/2005 00:57:21 »
im doing this just for fun, just to see what i can do with it.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19/04/2005 02:13:13 »
But wouldn't you need to know the position & speed of the particles to accurately model them? I'm not sure Heisenberg would like that

Offline chimera

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19/04/2005 11:28:16 »
Here's a list of software to simulate QM and particles, but not all software is windows - researchers mostly work on slightly larger systems, so you would probably want to be looking for a Linux box anyway...

http://www.netsci.org/Resources/Software/Modeling/QM/

(I remember a book btw, from the public library with simpler examples, also with software and some stunning graphics btw. I'll pick it up later today if they have it, and see if they have the software online too (they mostly do, since those companion CD-ROM's go AWOL or bad a lot). If I'm not mistaken that was Windows-based stuff.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 19/04/2005 11:28:16 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length