The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Huge boycott of Israel underway  (Read 8168 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Huge boycott of Israel underway
« Reply #25 on: 24/01/2009 18:34:15 »
Those who understand the truth (which is WIDELY available to those unegotistic enough to read things other than their own bigoted opinions) please don't waste time debating with morons.

So pointing out that Hamas targets civilians1 and deliberately launches rockets from built-up areas1 makes me a bigoted moron, does it?

1. Both of these facts are "WIDELY available to those unegotistic enough to read things other than their own bigoted opinions"

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #26 on: 24/01/2009 18:44:26 »
The refusal of Israel to comply with UN resolution 242 and relinquish all of the territories it has occupied, and in some cases illegally settled, gives Hammas, from it's point of view, reasonable justification for it's actions.
LEE
Its not quite that simple and the wording can be interpreted in many ways depending on who is reading it.

Their is even a difference between the french and English versions.

Also Lord cardigan who authored the resolution says it didn't mention and shouldn't be interpreted as All territories.

http://www.defensibleborders.org/rosenne.htm
According to Resolution 242, there is no Israeli obligation to withdraw prior to the achievement of a comprehensive peace. Nor is there any requirement of Israel to withdraw fully from the territories it captured in 1967

http://www.palestinefacts.org/pf_1948to1967_un_242.php
UNSCR 242 calls on all parties to the conflict to negotiate a solution

It anticipates that Israel will withdraw to secure borders (not specified in the resolution) in exchange for peace guarantees from the Arab parties
« Last Edit: 24/01/2009 19:08:30 by ukmicky »

paul.fr

« Reply #27 on: 24/01/2009 20:44:52 »
I bought Medjool dates from Sainsburys which had place of origin as "Westbank". On subsequent research I discovered these are indeed from the Westbank but produced in illegal Israeli settlements. I wrote to the trading standards office and to Sainburys and had a reply from Sainsburys saying they are looking into it but that they are conforming to EU rules in their description (which is true). I subsequently found they had received complaints about this for several months and have done nothing so far. Tesco also imports these dates.

Graham, would you not have bought the product if you had know they were farmed by Israelies?

I may be dumb, but what is your gripe with the information on the packaging? It was correct, wasn't it?

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25/01/2009 00:26:47 »
I have bought dates from Israel in the past, but I would not have bought dates from the illegal Israeli settlements in the Westbank. The information was correct but I would not expect the EU to be supporting these settlements and think that just stating "Westbank" gives a false impression. Dates from Israel itself are clearly marked as such and even have Hebrew script on the packaging. I would like the information so I can make an informed choice.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25/01/2009 17:58:40 »
The information was correct but I would not expect the EU to be supporting these settlements and think that just stating "Westbank" gives a false impression
I believe under international law the settlments are not actually illegal and therefore the EU have no grounds to discriminate against produce from Israeli west bank settlements .
« Last Edit: 25/01/2009 19:33:28 by ukmicky »

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 25/01/2009 19:36:40 »
According to wikipedia... "International bodies, including the United Nations Security Council, the International Court of Justice, the European Union, Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch and many legal scholars have characterized the settlements as a violation of international law".

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 26/01/2009 01:57:45 »
According to wikipedia... "International bodies, including the United Nations Security Council, the International Court of Justice, the European Union, Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch and many legal scholars have characterized the settlements as a violation of international law".

However if you read the geneva convention word for word and apply it to the west bank you will find their is no violation.

The argument is that the  conventions relating to occupied land do not apply to the Palestinian territorys because they were not under any legitimate sovereignty of any state. And going by the wording Israel is right

Also the League of Nations asked the United Kingdom to administer the area to the east of the river Jordan after of World War 1 and under the "British Mandate for Palestine" which came into force in 1922, years before the Arab Israeli Six Day War,the United Kingdom gave them the right to settle. The Mandate which still happens to be in force today recognized "the Jewish people historical connection  with Palestine" and gave them the right to settle in the west bank and Gaza.
« Last Edit: 26/01/2009 02:25:58 by ukmicky »

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 26/01/2009 12:50:48 »
We were talking about the EU (today), and I also mentioned a number of other important bodies (the UN, International Court of Justice etc.), and not the legality (or otherwise) of previous decisions.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18/02/2009 03:12:28 »
LeeE I can see your point here.
I don't remember the casualty figures here but I think it was something like one Israeli soldier for every hundred Palestinian, ah, person as they mostly was civilians.
And the phosphorus they spread down on the city from their helicopters is not unlike napalm when it hits people and eat through their flesh and bones.

Hamas may be quite corrupt and their way of enforcing women through rape to become suicide bombers, as recently been shown, is beyond the pale to my eyes. But that doesn't excuse the way the Israeli military have collected civilians into houses and then opened fire on them, not allowing those people to leave.
The whole war stinks, and Israel and their Arab neighbors are both to be blamed for that.
All of them are using the Palestinians as pawns, and that includes Hamas too.

That Terrorists, or as they are called after winning, freedom fighters use the population as their shield is nothing new, Israel itself fought once the British when Palestine was a British protectorate. Anyone heard of the rgun Zvai Leumi 1931-48? Look it up.

What's really sad here is that Israel too is allowing itself to be used as a 'tool' for western powers to have 'a foot' inside the Middle East. And of course, no matter what anyone want you to think, it's not about any egalitarian beliefs. It's about Geo Power and energy, Oil to be specific. They used to get a lot of the military material western countries wanted to test, and it's a popular place for some special forces to train in. Israel is famous for the quality of their spy's, but nowadays they don't have the 'material', people that is so totally comfortable and able to pose as 'Arabs' that they once used to have. That as the segregation between Israelis and their former Palestinian neighbors have grown.

And what's really terrible is that they find themselves in just that unsavory position, looking at how they treat the Palestinians, that they themselves was in during the second World War.
Treating others as 'second class citizens' that is.
And alienating themselves from them.

That was exactly how the Nazis did in the beginning, before they found their 'final solution'.
'Teaching' their 'Arian' Germans that their former friends and neighbors was 'scum'

It's a terrible situation for the Israelis, and it is a very hard thing to live like that.
Enemy's surrounding them, with the sea at their back, and themselves 'walling in' the Palestinians.
It creates a certain 'view of life' when meeting others and those not living there won't get it.
And those rockets and suicide bombers are constant reminders of their situation.

But they must go the same way as Ireland I think, violence only create more violence.
Look at those African states haunted by recent genocide that still tries to 'let be'.
They are very good examples on that there are ways out, if one is willing to forgive.

Also I would like to point out that for every one dead in a war there usually is like, what? Ten wounded.
There is statistics on that, even though I don't remember it for the moment.
Peace don't come from guns, it's when the guns are gone you can start talking.
« Last Edit: 18/02/2009 03:44:22 by yor_on »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #33 on: 18/02/2009 03:12:28 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums