The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can I imagine someone speaking in real time?  (Read 9738 times)

Offline Ashleigh Barnett

• First timers
    • View Profile
How can I imagine someone speaking in real time?
« on: 22/01/2009 12:30:02 »
Ashleigh Barnett  asked the Naked Scientists:

Dear Dr. Chris,

When on a train journey recently I suddenly became aware of something I was doing when listening to one of newbielink:http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/podcasts/ [nonactive]. I think Dave sounds quite similar to Tim Rice-Oxley (pianist from Keane), so when Dave is talking, I imagine Tim saying it all.

The thing is, I noticed that even though I had no idea what Dave was going to say, the image of Tim saying it all was in real time, with no delay for me to hear the word and then see him saying it. I hope that makes sense! So, I was wondering... could my brain be preventing me from consciously hearing the words for a split second, allowing my image of Tim saying the words to be played at the same time as me consciously hearing it with no delay, without me knowing?

I absolutely newbielink:http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/podcasts/ [nonactive] and listen to a newbielink:http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/podcasts/ [nonactive] every night as I'm falling asleep. Keep up the good work!

Ashleigh, Suffolk

What do you think?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 23/01/2009 02:34:21 »
My speculation:
Your brain has 'fooled' you into thinking that is was actually Tim Rice-Oxley talking and not Dave, but perhaps when you actually get a look at Dave talking and associating the vioce to the image, the next time you listen, you'll heard it as Dave talking.

Offline Ashleigh Barnett

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24/01/2009 10:01:41 »
hey chemistry4me, thankyou for replying, but unfortunately that wasnt exactly what i was asking...i know it doesnt make much sense and is a very confusing question!!
its not that im asking why i can see tim...thats a purely voluntary thing-i can choose to see who ever i want.  it's that there is no delay in me hearing the words and the image of the person speaking.  i cant possibly know what Dave is about to say until he has said it, so logically there should be a delay between me hearing the words and then imagining them being said.  but i see the person talking at the same time as the words.
i hope that makes a little more sense! its so hard to describe! i havent been able to describe it to my friends successfully either!
the only thing i can think of is that in order to not confuse me, my brain receives the sound of Dave speaking, but stops me consciously hearing it for a split second-long enough to conjour up the image of the word being said, and then plays them at the same time.  but why my brain would do that is bizzarre!
im stumped!

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24/01/2009 10:13:43 »
so logically there should be a delay between me hearing the words and then imagining them being said.  but i see the person talking at the same time as the words.
Well, not necessarily (I think!) When you are not concentrating, it'll be easier to assume that the voice is actually Tim's, even though you consciously don't realise it.

Offline Ashleigh Barnett

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25/01/2009 00:04:53 »
lol thats still not what im trying to ask! hehe! who i imagine is irrelevant, i can imagine who ever i want saying it-i chose to carry on imagining Tim after i realised they sounded similar coz i love Keane so it makes me smile to think of them lol. i only included who i imagined because it was how i realised there was no delay.

im trying to figure out why there is no delay in hearing the words and seeing them being said (by anyone). how can i possibly know what is about to be said?? how come there isnt a time delay of me hearing the words and then seeing them being said? how can i see them at the exact same time theyre being said when i cant predict what it about to be said?

i hope thats a little clearer! ill figure out a good way to describe it one day lol!!

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25/01/2009 01:35:10 »
Are you saying that it is like you are watching TV? Except you just hear the words and your mind almosts acts like a TV?

Offline Ashleigh Barnett

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25/01/2009 11:08:54 »
yeah in a way. its not the fact that i can imagine someone talking thats the mystery...everyone can imagine someone talking!

imagine you're listening to the show, Dr Chris is discussing the news in science. now say you were really bored (like i was on the train) and you realised you were imagining Dr Chris actually saying the words.  again, thats not that surprising... but you realise that the image of Dr Chris in your mind is talking (ie mouth moving and saying the words) at the exact same time as the real Dr Chris is saying the words- they are perfectly synchronised as if he was actually in front of you and you could see him talking. 

Logically there should be a slight delay in him actually speaking the words in real life and your mental picture of him saying them- because you cannot possibly know what he is going to say until he has said it...how could you unless you had psychic powers??

so i was wondering how this could occur...why is there no delay..its like i can predict what he's about to say because the image keeps up with him actually speaking.  my only thought to how this could happen is that my brain somehow delays me consciously hearing the real words for a split second in order to form the image to play together at the same time.  and why would my brain do this in the first place?? surely all that effort and energy isnt worth it to merely stop me having a slightly delayed mental image, or being a bit confused.

phew! i think thats the best way ive explained it so far!! please tell me you get it now lol!!

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25/01/2009 11:14:05 »
Well... I get it and I don't get it ???
I'm afraid there is still a lot of exploring to do before we can fully understand the way our brain works!

Offline Flyberius

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25/01/2009 11:27:10 »
lol thats still not what im trying to ask! hehe! who i imagine is irrelevant, i can imagine who ever i want saying it-i chose to carry on imagining Tim after i realised they sounded similar coz i love Keane so it makes me smile to think of them lol. i only included who i imagined because it was how i realised there was no delay.

im trying to figure out why there is no delay in hearing the words and seeing them being said (by anyone). how can i possibly know what is about to be said?? how come there isnt a time delay of me hearing the words and then seeing them being said? how can i see them at the exact same time theyre being said when i cant predict what it about to be said?

i hope thats a little clearer! ill figure out a good way to describe it one day lol!!

I get what you are saying.

And I would say that your brain fools you into thinking its happening at the same time.

Anyway, what do you see whn you try to imagine something.

The more I think of it the harder it becomes to picture.

Offline Ashleigh Barnett

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25/01/2009 13:01:27 »

I get what you are saying.

And I would say that your brain fools you into thinking its happening at the same time.

Anyway, what do you see whn you try to imagine something.

The more I think of it the harder it becomes to picture.

wohooo!! yes thankyou! im so glad someone gets it!

when you say something...do you mean how easy is it to imagine the image of someone talking? its weird coz if i think too hard i can only imagine one tiny part of the face at a time. but if i let my mind just go with it, i can see it all just fine.  but i have watched many interviews, videos, performances etc so its easy to imagine how he looks talking and his body movements, mouth movements and so on.
oh that makes me sound kinda obssessive huh!!

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26/01/2009 18:37:56 »
I know exactly what you are saying because I do it all the time. When I listen to the Archers (farming soap) on radio 4 I can see the actors having the conversation although I must admit that the image is slightly blurry so although I know they are saying the words that I can hear my brain tricks me into thinking their mouths are moving in perfect time. I sort of take it for granted so my imagined actors "speak" in real time.
I also do it with books too. Captain Jack from Torchwood says the words I am reading in my head. I guess the brain can process the information faster than we would expect. We watch people talking all the time so it is something common that our imaginations can duplicate quickly. I love brains! they are coooool!

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27/01/2009 00:44:06 »
Well, there you have it Ashleigh Barnett, it appears that you aren't the only person who does this!

Offline Ashleigh Barnett

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05/02/2009 21:05:00 »
wohoo Im not alone!! I also do the same with books...like if its really boring I'll imagine someone I like saying the words to keep me interested.  though i'm reading it instead of hearing it so I never connected that before now!  I had an email saying my question would be on an upcoming show ^_^

thanks for everyones replies, it was very interesting that some people have never experienced this and others have!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #12 on: 05/02/2009 21:05:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums