The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can anyone recommend any insomnia support groups?  (Read 525326 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: Insomnia support groups
« Reply #100 on: 21/09/2006 02:08:21 »
I am ALWAYS amazed when I hear of people who can sleep so much....but what freaks me out even more is to know people who can put their head down and go to sleep...just like that !!...

I have often requested a demonstration of such a gift !

This one time (...in band camp !! name the film ? )....anyway..!!..(sheesh..will you just get on with it !!)...ahem...This one time...I asked my colleague to prove it. I told him to go in the dem room (a room where demos are done !! :))...lay on the couch and go to sleep !!...Within five minutes he was out !!.....now THIS kind of thing freaks me out more than those crazy street magician tricks !!

On average....when you are sleeping your USUAL sleep pattern...

(1) How many hours sleep do you get a night [?]

(2) It it regularly disturbed ? Do you wake up then go back to sleep [?]

(3) What is your normal (normal being what is usual for you ) sleep pattern at night [?]

(4) Do you sleep during the day [?]

(5) Could you sleep in the day if able ..in other words ..if you were allowed to put your feet up and rest...could you sleep [?]

(6) Do you wake with a Kellogg's cornflake golden smile on your face with enough zest to take on the world [?]

(7) How long are you awake for before getting up [?]

No one need answer all of them..and I may have follow up questions.............This is just purely for my curiosity. It's 2am here as I type this ...I know I will be awake at the very least for the next 5 hours !

This is not a learned behaviour for me ...this has been my pattern for the last 36 years !...so I am always curious about other peoples sleep pattern.....

Thank you for your time.......*yawnnnn....goes to sleep and collapses on the keybbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbboard !!*

Men are the same as women, just inside out !
« Last Edit: 21/09/2006 17:43:55 by neilep »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 21/09/2006 03:06:51 »
1RSToof all I have collapsed on the keyboard literally but as soon as I get up lie down my blasted eyes pop right back open.. I can't sleep, I feel tired worn out but cannot sleep!! so weird!

(1) How many hours sleep do you get a night ? Normally two to 4 hours

(2) It it regularly disturbed ? Yes, Am very light sleeper,  Do you wake up then go back to sleep? No , Usually its all over if I get woken up!

(3) What is your normal sleep pattern at night?  When Young 10 to 12 hours a night with occasional ensomnia, that worsened with age!!... Last15 years There is no pattern.. some times I am awake my worst not long ago was approaching day 5 with 0 sleep.. was exhausted had no idea what was happening or what day it was or who the devil I was anymore, was teary tired upset and lost and confused...  

(4) Do you sleep during the day? Absolutely not!

(5) Could you sleep in the day if able? Once in a blue moon, but not often..

(6) Do you wake with a Kellogg's cornflake golden smile on your face with enough zest to take on the world? Depends on what day it is and how long I have been without sleep!! Most of the time I paint one of those lovely kellogg smiles on anyways!!:D

(7) How long are you awake for before getting up? I wake up and plant my feet on the floor immediately.. I also have restless legg syndrome so that adds to my sleep loss also..  

Karen
« Last Edit: 21/09/2006 03:11:30 by Karen W. »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 21/09/2006 04:17:48 »
THANK YOU KAREN MAM FOR THE WONDERFUL ANSWERS.

Getting those eight hours must have been fantastic !

It would be great to get a few responses from others.....

I might re-post this as  a new thread in it's own right.

5 days without sleep !!...wooo !!...I've done three days many times.....but five !! ?...you must have been going through a particularly disruptive time Mam !!

It's worth noting that for many people, they do not realise that they have in fact been to sleep when they think they haven't. I am  most certainly not saying this is what happened to you..but when you get to the point where reality is a blur...it's very difficult to tell the difference between a dream and being awake !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 21/09/2006 04:52:37 »
It was a very disruptive time and I was extremely upset not well and generally, very unpleasant, terrified person..I had not quite it was a bit under 5 days several hours.. was the worst experience with this problem I have ever had.. I was not asleep... way to upset!! I can say with retro spect on the last day, I thought It had been 3 days, but when I checked the date I had been up longer then I had thought confusion was defineitely playing tricks on me as I lost track of time!! I was greatful for Friends!!
 % days without sleep was the first time I have ever not slept for that period of time.. It is not unusual for me to go two days sometimes three but that's rare! 5 was crazy!

Karen

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #104 on: 21/09/2006 05:50:21 »
(1) How many hours sleep do you get a night? Grumble...average 2-3

(2) It it regularly disturbed? Yes! Do you wake up then go back to sleep NO>>>I wish I did!

(3) What is your normal sleep pattern at night ? What is defined as normal...my sleep pattern is never normal and the hours i am awake are never the same or never the same sleep patterns.  I could be up for 2 days at a time...ick

(4) Do you sleep during the day ?NO

(5) Could you sleep in the day if able ?Able meaning not working or if my body would let me???  My body would allow me to would be awesome...but not to my knowledge.

(6) Do you wake with a Kellogg's cornflake golden smile on your face with enough zest to take on the world?  LOL  Sometimes

(7) How long are you awake for before getting up ? Hours sometimes...

"Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 21/09/2006 06:28:15 »
It usually takes me forever to go to sleep!!

Karen

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 21/09/2006 17:45:50 »
THANK YOU LORETTA.......

Seems between the three of thus far...we all have pretty damn awful sleep patterns.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 21/09/2006 18:35:36 »
Yeperoo! thats just the way it goes, I try not to think about it too much or I get all grumpy.. So I Just smile and fake it most of the time.. although I am a nice person naturally, I hope and try to keep it that way for the most part!!

Karen

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 21/09/2006 19:52:22 »
Sleep....huh?  Did someone say sleep? (eyes all bloodshot, looking like I stared at a train's headlights all night...read too much last night and still maybe 30 mins maybe of dozing off....My niece came into town(no notice from the momsie)so we stayed up for a bit and I read...adreanline(sp)all up in the air...computer in bedroom as I stayed in the living room advising them it was not good for their health for me to be in my bedroom as I am up most of the night moving around and doing "stuff"

"Lo" Loretta

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 21/09/2006 20:04:20 »
Me too Lo....I am always to be found walking around in bare feet around the house....

Can I have some late night advice also please ?...does not matter what it is...any advice will do...YAYYYYYYYYY !!!

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 21/09/2006 20:41:50 »
LOL  I hear ya Neilsy!  I find the cat and annoy him sometimes, read, rearrange furniture, pictures, write, think(dangerous), call late night buddies who work late or up at night...now the exboyfriend is new victum..hehe...geez who embarrassed me in front of his momsie the other day (not sure if she remembers me from 18yrs ago...or rather hopes she doesn't?)Just wanna be his friend and he seemed to make it seem a bit different making remarks that I don't want to go to his house or I don't call much...geez, we aren't going together???  I did call Monday...okay, maybe he calls at least 3 times a week....but I sometimes answer the phone...don't want to misinterpret my actions meaning I am interested in him...there is a reason why he is my ex...lol  
When I have some time next month...I may take up pottery, stained glass, or painting(abstract)as no one could tell what I was painting or anything...may take up making jewelry...(can you tell I have been thinking??  hehe)

"Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 22/09/2006 04:09:12 »
Well I like to be on the computer and then I always clean at night or reaarrange furniture for my husband to trip over when he comes walking up the hall at three in the morning to go to work!! Whoops did not leave a note or light on to tell him about the the couch or chair where the walkway used to be... Thats always fun to hear!!#$%$#%$&*$%##$%*&*%$##@#$% ah I guess I really should have said something!!!LOL

Karen

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 22/09/2006 05:27:56 »
Yep...I have been guilty of it myself and my son wasn't real happy with me....but I am usually the first one up...his mistake!  LOL

"Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 22/09/2006 07:49:19 »
Yeah its sort of fun!!
Picture the day after halloween night houses still dressed in cob webs and jackolanterns, Hubby comes home at 3:00 Am from work and as he was driving into apt. complex, said he started snickering at the fact that some dumb neighbor already had christmas decorations up!!! He said he parked about 400 ft. away in parking lot and started to walk toward our new apt, we switched from 2 bed. to a 4 bed. same complex.  The closer he got the more he snckered, and said some things that were not nice about the neighbors being so strange.. then he got closer and started reading apt. numbers.. and was horrified to find that it was our apartment with a sterling Silver glowing Aluminum Christmas tree being displayed in the big picture glass window in the front of the apartments!! He came in and said, Oh I should have known it was my apartment, I just thought someone else really likes Christmas like my wife!!! Are you really going to leave that up,....now...till Christmas!!  I said yes,....got a problem with that...he started to speak up and I handed him some more tensil and he just shook his head and helped me finish tensiling the tree!  I REALLY REALLY LOVE CHRISTMAS!!As a matter of fact, we only have 94 days till the big event! YAAAAY! I wuv Christmas!!That was the year I put up all the christmas lights and a fully decked out Christmas tree the day after Halloween!!

Karen

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 22/09/2006 07:58:22 »
Karen, I am impressed!  You have beaten the retailers at least a week!  LOL  You are so funny!  I think Christmas is cool....but wait until after Thanksgiving before giving into all the decorating festivities...

"Lo" Loretta

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 22/09/2006 08:06:28 »
I am bored to tears..okay, almost near.  guess I better go to sleep Karen or at least try....maybe I will get 8hrs?  It has been years since I have done something that incredible...Good Night Karen and give all the boys on the otherside of the world my love this morning!

"Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 22/09/2006 14:51:10 »
OKay I will, Love to you too Loretta slaeep well..

Karen

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 23/09/2006 03:52:39 »
Grrr!  I didn't...but bossy did not expect me at work today...i wanted to roll my eyes as if she would let me sleep?  Yesterday I went in at 11:30am and she only called me 3 times...

"Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 23/09/2006 04:41:16 »
JEESH....Only 3 times huh!

Karen

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 23/09/2006 04:57:40 »
LOL  I know...I think she is co-dependent upon me being at property...she can't stand it when I go to another property...she will call me too many times and I swear she will make up issues so I have to go back.

"Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 23/09/2006 08:26:12 »
I would be willing to bet that that is exactly what she does... HEE HEE HEE! How was the rest of your day??

Karen

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 23/09/2006 14:28:17 »
It is amazing when I do go back there does not seem to be an issue anymore, or it is an easy one anyone could resolve, or I not able to reach the person at said numbers when she gives them to me...hmmmm, but there is no way to prove that one...

"Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 23/09/2006 14:48:45 »
That is a problem eh?

Karen

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 24/09/2006 04:51:47 »
most definitely

"Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 24/09/2006 06:15:48 »
I think bosses are really good at shuffling things to suit them after  all if they have the power!

Karen

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #124 on: 24/09/2006 06:15:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length