The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can anyone recommend any insomnia support groups?  (Read 524393 times)

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1125 on: 24/10/2008 23:12:37 »
I was on the road all day long.  I was driving to meet a friend in another town a few hours away and there was a wreck on the interstate and I was stuck for over 3 hours there!  I missed my friend.

I'm trying to stay awake for a while longer.  I have to drop Nic off at the football game and then pick him up, so I'm still up for awhile.  Fortunately the school is only 2 miles away so I won't have to drive far.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1126 on: 24/10/2008 23:21:01 »
Well be careful. Sorry bout the wreck and I hope everyone was OK.

Get some sleep when you can and feel better soon.

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1127 on: 26/10/2008 09:10:34 »
5 am!!!

I HATE THIS!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1128 on: 28/10/2008 22:59:54 »
If anyone is interested, tommorrow at 9:30am (UK time) I'm due to be interviewed live on air by this bloke on his radio show http://newstalk.ie/newstalk/programmes/32/tom-dunne.html

I think you can listen online !..I won't be able to as I will be finding a way to stay awake !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1129 on: 28/10/2008 23:43:17 »
Cool Neily Will this be in a couple hours or for us here California..will be 1:30 am our time but you guys already fell back an hour so that will actually be12:30 am our time as we don't go back until next Saturday!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1130 on: 29/10/2008 09:10:28 »
Cool Neily Will this be in a couple hours or for us here California..will be 1:30 am our time but you guys already fell back an hour so that will actually be12:30 am our time as we don't go back until next Saturday!

Kareny Mam,

I don't know...it's now just after 9am here, so are you guys really 9 hours behind ?....Man , I'm shattered, been awake since Monday morning so that'll make it nice and sincere !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1131 on: 29/10/2008 09:52:00 »
well, that was fun !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1132 on: 29/10/2008 10:00:33 »
well, that was fun !

Neily.. they dopped the feed right when he asked about your past relationships....... I am so mad... they better offer it up on a podcast thing... cause they dropped the feed...or at least the server went down...in the middle...
« Last Edit: 29/10/2008 10:26:58 by Karen W. »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1133 on: 29/10/2008 10:15:19 »
hey you sounded great.. right up till the Sudden link went down... I can get on the phone but no computer yet!!! maybe they will replay itor we can hear it again online....

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1134 on: 02/11/2008 20:47:05 »
Did you see Neil with his big radiator in the Guardian Magazine. He has not boasted about it but it is a very good article about Insomnia. I only had it for two years when I was a teenager and it nearly killed me so Neil is a hero to live with it for 37 years.
Neil love, I'm sure you've tried everything but what about Budhist meditation? I know now why I had Insomnia. Mine was three reasons coming together at once. It is such a complex thing that usually has no one reason. It still may go Neil. I know you are resigned to it but don't give up on one day being cured.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1135 on: 02/11/2008 20:55:05 »
hey you sounded great.. right up till the Sudden link went down... I can get on the phone but no computer yet!!! maybe they will replay itor we can hear it again online....

Thanks Karen.. glass what you heard sounded Ok...I only caught 5 seconds of it myself....when I placed the phone down I suddenly remembered the time delay, so I quickly turned the volume up on the pc to hear myself say ' goodbye ' to myself !..lol

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1136 on: 02/11/2008 20:58:24 »
Did you see Neil with his big radiator in the Guardian Magazine. He has not boasted about it but it is a very good article about Insomnia. I only had it for two years when I was a teenager and it nearly killed me so Neil is a hero to live with it for 37 years.
Neil love, I'm sure you've tried everything but what about Budhist meditation? I know now why I had Insomnia. Mine was three reasons coming together at once. It is such a complex thing that usually has no one reason. It still may go Neil. I know you are resigned to it but don't give up on one day being cured.

Thanks Shaz !...It really means a lot to know you liked the article !.I have to say, they got a few things wrong !..it's not wifey who snores it's me..and thus I wake her and she then wakes me..and that's when I get ever so slightly pissed off !

Buddhist meditation eh ?..nope never tried it...have tried mediation per se, and yoga...but, I am willing to try anything...I suspect a book beckons and then perchance a class or two.

Next Article will be in BEST magazine  by the way !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1137 on: 02/11/2008 21:00:12 »
Perhaps I should try abseiling my radiator !...could be quite a trip !..enough to make me tired !  ;)

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1138 on: 02/11/2008 21:34:27 »
I happened to be up at 5:30 and was able to catch the radio interview.  You did a great job...especially enjoyed the swinging comment at the end. ;D

The article in the Guardian was also very good and informative.  Sharon is right...you are a hero to be able to cope with it.  I nearly go mad when I have my bouts of insomnia.  Still hoping that one day you will be cured.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1139 on: 02/11/2008 23:26:49 »
What radio interview. I've been in Bermuda, riding Segways etc so missed that one.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1140 on: 02/11/2008 23:27:28 »
Found it!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1141 on: 02/11/2008 23:37:04 »
Found it!

I'd rather be riding seqways in Bermuda too !..You most certainly had a lot more fun !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1142 on: 06/11/2008 05:17:03 »
hey you sounded great.. right up till the Sudden link went down... I can get on the phone but no computer yet!!! maybe they will replay it or we can hear it again online....

Thanks Karen.. glass what you heard sounded Ok...I only caught 5 seconds of it myself....when I placed the phone down I suddenly remembered the time delay, so I quickly turned the volume up on the pc to hear myself say ' goodbye ' to myself !..lol

it was clear enough nice sound.. then my server dropped the load!!! Sorry I did not get to hear the rest.. but I am quite sure you did beautifully....! I really hope someone is able to help you soon.. good luck to you..

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1143 on: 06/11/2008 05:45:25 »

Kareny Mam,

I don't know...it's now just after 9am here, so are you guys really 9 hours behind ?....Man , I'm shattered, been awake since Monday morning so that'll make it nice and sincere !

Yes on that day we were 9 hours behind.. but we just now turned our clocks back last Saturday night so now we are back at 8 hours behind you! In California here anyway!

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1144 on: 08/11/2008 18:45:14 »
Slept really well last night (mainly due to alcohol) but my husbands friend who actually likes getting up early phoned us at 7.30am. It is Saturday morning for god sake, what is wrong with him? My husband, sleeping off jetlag was really impressed. I think I will phone him at 1.30am and say "Oh were you asleep, I'm always up at this time. I thought everyone shared my sleep patterns."
PRAT!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1145 on: 08/11/2008 20:06:20 »
Sorry you were woken so early from a good sleep! I hope tonight gives you another good night!

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1146 on: 09/11/2008 20:08:49 »
The Observer Magazine is advertising a box that shines a moving blue light onto your ceiling and claims it is a cure for insomnia. Does it work? It is at www.nightwave.co.uk I think. I'm not suggesting anyone buys it. I'm not spamming and I don't own shares in it honest!!!!!!
« Last Edit: 09/11/2008 20:10:32 by Make it Lady »

Offline John21

• View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1147 on: 11/11/2008 21:45:19 »
Hello fellow insomniacs. I am a 40 year old male and have had sleep maintenance insomnia for approx 12 years now. It is much better than it used to be, I used to be on sleeping pills in order to get back to sleep but finally I got off the meds. Now I usually get back to sleep after waking, but not always that well, I often feel quite poorly when I don't get enough sleep.

Neilep, I just read your story in the Guardian, I am sorry to hear how bad you have had it. I'm glad to hear you have managed family and work life around it.

I am wondering, has anyone tried that idea suggested at the beginning of this thread concerning sleeping with the body tilted? It sounds interesting, but has it worked for anyone?

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1148 on: 12/11/2008 09:17:41 »
Ughhhh!!!  I'm in South Florida this week for a class.  It's 4:15 am and I cannot sleep again!  I havent' had more than a 3 or 4 hours in a night since I got here last Friday!  It's making it very difficult to concentrate and stay awake in class! D*#^@!!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1149 on: 25/11/2008 12:20:52 »
My chest is hurting like crazy...and I can,t sleep!
Just don't feel tired!  hungry though oh well be breakfast time soon.....

The Naked Scientists Forum

Insomnia support groups
« Reply #1149 on: 25/11/2008 12:20:52 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums