The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can anyone recommend any insomnia support groups?  (Read 526024 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #350 on: 12/02/2007 20:42:57 »
Well, I managed about 90 minutes at 25 minute intervals...

Opens hymn book and sings with elation.....

"Oh joy to the world ..la de da dee daaaa !!! "

Offline Zwitterion

• View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #351 on: 13/02/2007 06:14:16 »
i slept like a baby tonight...got to sleep at half 9 till 4 in the morning and i literally feel so good that i jumped out of bed!!...

hadnt slept at all last night so that will have somehting to do with it but i my shisha (Karens not going to like this :o) ) arrived last night and i think it helped!!......hopefully theres more nights like this to come....fingers crossed, touch wood...etc etc etc....lol

hope you all are sleeping and have slept well tonight!!..esp you Neil!!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #352 on: 13/02/2007 07:04:30 »
It is 10:57 pm.. On Monday night, I have not slept since saturday night and that was about two hours..ssliding into day 4 .. am so tired, I signed on pulled up my mail screen and had to try to sleep to no avail.. spent two hours trying.. not even a doze.. Maybe later.. I am so tired my throat sounds like a frogs croak and I sing like a toad... Oh GAWWWWWWWWWWWD!!

Ok no bad thoughts.. Neil I am sorry you are so tired too. I hope you get some more sleep tonight me will try too.. Hugs you..

Zwitterion, am so glad you got some sleep..hope you get some mor... it will sure make you feel better!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #353 on: 13/02/2007 07:22:14 »
Hi Zwitty,Hi Karen,

07:21am.......yawwwwwwwwwwn !!

Hugs ewe

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #354 on: 13/02/2007 07:43:47 »
Hi Neil.. 11: 42 Pm still no go..!! Sorry you are not sleeping either.. Hugs you too! Hows the weather?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #355 on: 13/02/2007 08:54:28 »
12:53AM. Nothing!!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #356 on: 13/02/2007 15:17:30 »
Hi Neil.. 11: 42 Pm still no go..!! Sorry you are not sleeping either.. Hugs you too! Hows the weather?

Hi Karen Mam,

How's the Weather ??..LOL !!...it's actually too warm !!....LOL !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #357 on: 13/02/2007 16:52:26 »
Well Kind Sir, The weather is warm cloudy and rainey!!! LOL
Guess what... I fianlly went to sleep about 2:00 Am YAYYYYYYYYYYY!!I was able to attain 4 hours .......TA DAH!!!!!!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #358 on: 13/02/2007 17:02:47 »
Well Kind Sir, The weather is warm cloudy and rainey!!! LOL
Guess what... I fianlly went to sleep about 2:00 Am YAYYYYYYYYYYY!!I was able to attain 4 hours .......TA DAH!!!!!!

FOUR HOURS !!!!!...amazing !!!!.....good for ewe Karen mam...YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY !!!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #359 on: 13/02/2007 17:28:40 »
YES SIREE BOB.....ME FEELS SOME BETTER... Me throat sounds way like a froggy, but oh well. I just am sitting drinking a cappichio with whipped cream and a cherry on top... It is so good.. Thank you so much.......Did you say warm? Is the sun shining there...?

Offline Zwitterion

• View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #360 on: 13/02/2007 20:04:58 »
good to read u got some sleep karen...how about u Neil?

just wanted to ask has anyone any experience of Magnesium and its its impact on Sleep...came across that this morning so will be putting some research in but have you guys heard that?

paul.fr

Insomnia support groups
« Reply #361 on: 14/02/2007 16:42:37 »
Has the numbers of insomniacs increased with the advent of new technologies?

lets face it, in the "old days" the TV closed down just after midnight and you were left with the test card or some white noise. There was nothing on the radio, and even in the early days of the internet there was nothing much to do. So left with the option of sitting on our lonesome we just crawled up to bed and (eventually) went to sleep.

we now have 24 hour TV, even though there is still not much quality in the programming it's there in the background. we surf the net, watch tv and videos on demand and eventually end up in some forum or chat room....i know im tired but hay just one last post...then wait a while see if someone replies and the hours drag on and we sort of come round a bit and have another coffee, feel more awake and just another quick google......

even then when we do go to bed, after a few minutes we think, hay still can't sleep lets just turn the tv or pc on for a minute and back we go , in to the spiral that is technology.

last year i decided to stop surfing in an effort to get some sleep and get away from the grind of returning home from work, the pc is still on because of broadband and i sit there for hours just looking and reading then finally remembering to go to bed...but look at the time im back up in a few hours.

so i kicked "the habit", and 6 months later im back. not at home! who cares i have broadband on my phone so i can still surf and post at the bus stop, on a train......

Technology! oh for the simple life.....

Paul

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #362 on: 14/02/2007 17:00:49 »
LOL, Hey Paul.. an amusing post. I willhave a cappuchino  in the morning on some mornings, not everyday. I avoid caffiene as I am allergic.. I do love me computer however and my friends here in this forum.. I have done all manner of things to go to sleep. We do not have cable so our tv goes off around 1:00 am or earlier depanding on who is up. Me or hubby. Been me late so it is not even on at all once I get off work. I used to watch all the time. Very rarely watch at all these days as I prefer this site and am able to do more thinking here then in front of the tube! I do miss it though!!! LOL

Offline Zwitterion

• View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #363 on: 15/02/2007 17:39:17 »
Sorta agree with you paul...that theres probably more ppl getting less sleep due to the wonderful world of technology...not sure what id do without it!!...also the invention of the light bulb cant have help....but theres a major diff between ppl who choose to sleep later and those who struggle to sleep no matter what they do...for those of us technology is great to kill the hours before boredom does!!...

its sad really when i know ive had a bad night when ive made it to Countdown at half 5 in the morning!!...or when the damn alarm on my mobile goes off before i get to
 sleep!!...that really pisses me off!!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #364 on: 15/02/2007 18:59:33 »
Zwitterion.. Do you mind me asking your name? Was just curious, so no pressure. How was last nights sleep. I was able to get 2 hours.. Am so tired. Here here! On the activies that are available.. Its not like we watch Tv while we are trying to go to slaeep! I turn everything off.. sometimes I put some very soft music on to relax and help me to go to sleep.. But mosylylay in silence listening to my brain run dialog to my body.. about everything that could be wrong and everything that is right too! Don't figure.. I guess my brain just does not shut down untill my body collapses.. and it does not matter how hard I try!

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #365 on: 16/02/2007 05:28:37 »
Yep, I think it does not help...but it does help when i am awake through the night or when I am tired of reading...

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #366 on: 16/02/2007 05:43:25 »
Yep, Me too!

Offline Zwitterion

• View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #367 on: 17/02/2007 12:28:38 »
Hiya Karen, Moonfire...

How have you been sleeping lately?...ive been sleeping much better...havent felt like a zombie for most of this week and actually feel im living after soo long...

Karen, hope you dont mind but id rather just be called zwitterion or zwitty on here. :o)

Moonfire...do i remember right that u asked about the link to the shisha thing i talked about a while back...dont think i did send you the link...would it be ok for me to put in on here again or shall i send you a private message?...

hope everyones well!!

paul.fr

Insomnia support groups
« Reply #368 on: 17/02/2007 16:17:20 »

or when the damn alarm on my mobile goes off before i get to

Ah, the dredded mobile phone. I find the worst thing about using this as an alarm clock is that people always ring you just when you have finaly managed to get to sleep. you are then always greeted with "Have i woke you".arrggggghhh.

Hi all

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #369 on: 17/02/2007 16:48:16 »
Hiya Karen, Moonfire...

How have you been sleeping lately?...ive been sleeping much better...havent felt like a zombie for most of this week and actually feel im living after soo long...

Karen, hope you dont mind but id rather just be called zwitterion or zwitty on here. :o)

Moonfire...do i remember right that u asked about the link to the shisha thing i talked about a while back...dont think i did send you the link...would it be ok for me to put in on here again or shall i send you a private message?...

hope everyones well!!

It's no Problem, zwitterion.. I was just curious! I am still hit and miss, but night befor had a good night which helps make up for the bad ones.. I am glad your week has been restful!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #370 on: 17/02/2007 16:51:06 »

or when the damn alarm on my mobile goes off before i get to

Ah, the dredded mobile phone. I find the worst thing about using this as an alarm clock is that people always ring you just when you have finaly managed to get to sleep. you are then always greeted with "Have i woke you".arrggggghhh.

Hi all

Sorry bout your cell phone waking you Paul.. It is the pits.. I remember when.. I do not use an alarm clock, I haven't needed to for years.. I am always awake, or when I do sleep, I automaticly wake before I have to be up!! LOL I think it may have something to do with the light outside or something!

paul.fr

Insomnia support groups
« Reply #371 on: 17/02/2007 17:10:10 »
Hi Karen.

There was a time when i never needed an alarm clock, but with sleep being the way it is, once i do get off i could stop in bed forever. Being too much of a cheapscape, i don't have an alarm clock and just use the phone.

With reguards to you awakening before your alarm goes off, i think this is due to your internal clock.

Paul

paul.fr

Insomnia support groups
« Reply #372 on: 17/02/2007 17:21:31 »
Is it possible to have too much sleep?

I only ask because i always hear people moaning that they feel, erm.....bad because they have had too much sleep! I think these are the same people that moan about the heat in summer and cold in winter.

Paul

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #373 on: 17/02/2007 17:32:40 »
Actually sleeping longer then the nom, actually can make you drag and feel worse. My doctor says 7 to 8 hours is ideal for most people so My goal would be to get there. I have an occasional night like that. where I get 7 hours.. THey are few and far in between. I don't think Neil ever gets close. I average )to 2 hours on a bad night! 2 to 4 hours on a good night! :) I used to sleep better, with sporatic restless nights, It has become more of a problem the last 15 or so years.. Maybe it's because I am not very happy, with me home life.. I don't know I have tried to anylize it.. it doesn't work.. I just can't sleep!

Internal Clock.., why does it not help shut things down better for sleep?? LOL

paul.fr

Insomnia support groups
« Reply #374 on: 17/02/2007 17:40:53 »
Actually sleeping longer then the nom, actually can make you drag and feel worse. My doctor says 7 to 8 hours is ideal for most people so My goal would be to get there. I have an occasional night like that. where I get 7 hours.. THey are few and far in between. I don't think Neil ever gets close. I average )to 2 hours on a bad night! 2 to 4 hours on a good night! :) I used to sleep better, with sporatic restless nights, It has become more of a problem the last 15 or so years.. Maybe it's because I am not very happy, with me home life.. I don't know I have tried to anylize it.. it doesn't work.. I just can't sleep!

Internal Clock.., why does it not help shut things down better for sleep?? LOL

Maybe once a week i get 7 hours in one go, i do have a nap in the evenings or afternoon for an hour or two. I think this is why i then have trouble when it's time for bed.

Do you try and rationalise your day or life as you try and sleep? I used to do this a lot and it just screws your sleep up and makes you feel miserable, and keeps you awake.
Why the internal clock does not just say "to hell with this" and force you to sleep is beyond me.

Isn't there some for of scale that gives you the hours of sleep you need. from infancy to maturity? i seem to remember that when we are around retirement age you can get away with 5 hours sleep.

Paul

The Naked Scientists Forum

Insomnia support groups
« Reply #374 on: 17/02/2007 17:40:53 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums