The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can anyone recommend any insomnia support groups?  (Read 525136 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #375 on: 17/02/2007 17:58:13 »
Has the numbers of insomniacs increased with the advent of new technologies?

lets face it, in the "old days" the TV closed down just after midnight and you were left with the test card or some white noise. There was nothing on the radio, and even in the early days of the internet there was nothing much to do. So left with the option of sitting on our lonesome we just crawled up to bed and (eventually) went to sleep.

we now have 24 hour TV, even though there is still not much quality in the programming it's there in the background. we surf the net, watch tv and videos on demand and eventually end up in some forum or chat room....i know im tired but hay just one last post...then wait a while see if someone replies and the hours drag on and we sort of come round a bit and have another coffee, feel more awake and just another quick google......

even then when we do go to bed, after a few minutes we think, hay still can't sleep lets just turn the tv or pc on for a minute and back we go , in to the spiral that is technology.
last year i decided to stop surfing in an effort to get some sleep and get away from the grind of returning home from work, the pc is still on because of broadband and i sit there for hours just looking and reading then finally remembering to go to bed...but look at the time im back up in a few hours.

so i kicked "the habit", and 6 months later im back. not at home! who cares i have broadband on my phone so i can still surf and post at the bus stop, on a train......

Technology! oh for the simple life.....

Paul

The only way to find this out would be to conduct a long detailed study !

The thing is......I don't know if the technologies of today make insomniacs per se......it might make people stay up late but if they can easily return to a normal sleep pattern then they are not suffering from insomnia. What I think Technology it is doing is making  people have less sleep and later nights.

I think it's important to differentiate between late nights and proper insomnia

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #376 on: 17/02/2007 18:20:32 »
I have turned everything off and layed in bed for days one after the other even forced my self to stay in bed all night! It does not help me! I still cannot sleep after you do this for months, you finally realize what the heck is the point... You get up and make something else happen, education cleaning, painting drawing, writing, singing listening... dancing, scrap booking.. LOL Whatever floats your boat! LOL Anything is better then lying there turning and moving and getting bed sores from squirming in the sheets!!

paul.fr

Insomnia support groups
« Reply #377 on: 17/02/2007 22:00:26 »
Karen,

I just wonder if you have stopped smoking? or stopped aroud the time that your insomnia started to be more noticable?

edit: if you have or did, did you use any aides to stop you smoking?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #378 on: 17/02/2007 23:21:47 »
Sorry Paul, I have never smoked.. Unless You call trying one when I was 14 smoking.. I just about choked to death on that couple puffs..LOL Not for me Friend I never have smoked and never will. I also do not drink.. or take recreational drugs, never have never will. I am on seral medications for my health..

Some Of my problem stems from a child hood molestation that seems to cause me grief when darkness falls.. Perhaps thats the whole problem, I don't know.. but I know it is at least part of it.. kind of scared to go to sleep for fear of what will wake me up!

My mother smoked like a chimney.. It killed her!

paul.fr

Insomnia support groups
« Reply #379 on: 18/02/2007 00:24:37 »
Hi Karen,

sorry o hear about your early life experiance...if i may put it that way.

I guess i may have been correct then in my earlier post, when i asked if you tried to rationalise your day or life and this stopped you from going to sleep.

This is something that i do most nights, i will rationalise, or try to, the day and what i could have done differently. this can take hours and is most annoying and i suspect may have medical conations.

i also have anastasia's mum to contend with, i have spent nearly 30k in the past 6 years to ensure i have regular contact but her mother always breaks the court orders and i am forever back and forth filing for new hearing, etc. this also keeps me awake at night too.

whilst neil is correct that there is a difference between people with genuine insomnia and those that just go to bed late for one reason or another the effects on your mind and body are the same.

i am having a bad spell at the moment, and seem to forget what i am supposed to be doing. from paying bills to going shopping and all day to day activities. i am even having a hard time concentrating on how to spell, of course this is not just down to the lack of sleep it's also stress and things playing on your mind.

Paul

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #380 on: 18/02/2007 19:35:58 »
Paul I am sorry things have been such a struggle with your daughters mom. That can be a difficult situation. I do understand. I have had the same problem. worse the last weeks so I know the feelings you are sharing.

Yes There is a difference. The end results become the same over time.. I am sorry you are having a bad moment and wish I could help. I have had the problem with forgetfulness alot lately...and stress is a huge burden to pile on and already existing pile of trouble and lack of sleep.

Please feel better soon.

Offline Zwitterion

• View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #381 on: 18/02/2007 21:25:31 »
Hey Karen,

Really sorry to hear about what you had to go through...and that its still affecting you...have you been for councelling?  or anything else that might try and help you forget or put it behind you?

Paul,  i know exactly what u mean with regards to forgetting etc...when i go thru by bad patches...i find it really hard to remember and comprehend things...i work as a scientist and having to work things out in my head is seriously taxing...

usually resort to taking caffiene in any form i possible can ...tablets, red-bull...that usually helps a bit but still doesnt stop me from feeling like a zombie...generally u just have to spend more time thinking about what you do from driving to writing etc...

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #382 on: 18/02/2007 21:59:35 »
Zwitty,

I can well understand how you, as a scientist, has problems in recalling things..........it's not memory per se...it's pure concentration full stop.

I am fine until I hit 48 hours plus...but then I have spent all my life figuring it out....72 hours and I am not safe...I get visual and aural hallucinations.. I don't mean visions...I mean things in the corner of my eye appear to move...shadows darting etc)...feelings of skin crawling.....I won't drive and have to concentrate as best as I can going upstairs...always making sure I am leaning forward in case I start to fall !!

Paul,

Really story about the stress factor regarding anastasia's mum  .......surely this is one of the worst kinds of stress.....is there no way at all to make the mother more compliant !! ?

paul.fr

Insomnia support groups
« Reply #383 on: 18/02/2007 22:40:51 »

Paul,

Really story about the stress factor regarding anastasia's mum  .......surely this is one of the worst kinds of stress.....is there no way at all to make the mother more compliant !! ?

Hi Neil,

I have tried everything, and sadly do not have the funds anymore to employ the solicitors and barristers. so i have been representing myself for the last 2 years, which gives additional stress.
Anastasia's mum knows she can get away with doing what she does as the courts have already said they will not grant a change of residency no matter what. all i can do is make the courts aware of the situation, they grant me more orders and then they are broken. back to court for enforcement, they get ignored and the cycle continues as it has done for 6 years...oh well only another 7 to go!

Paul

paul.fr

Insomnia support groups
« Reply #384 on: 18/02/2007 22:49:19 »
Paul,  i know exactly what u mean with regards to forgetting etc...when i go thru by bad patches...i find it really hard to remember and comprehend things...i work as a scientist and having to work things out in my head is seriously taxing...

usually resort to taking caffiene in any form i possible can ...tablets, red-bull...that usually helps a bit but still doesnt stop me from feeling like a zombie...generally u just have to spend more time thinking about what you do from driving to writing etc...

Zwitty

Never tried the redbull, but i do believe it's not much stronger than a good cup of coffee, just more convienient. It's not just the forgetting and having to concentrate twice as hard just to get by it's the lethargy and apathy that makes me so mad with myself. some days i just can't be bothered, and those days are becoming more frequant.

Paul

paul.fr

Insomnia support groups
« Reply #385 on: 18/02/2007 22:53:48 »
Paul I am sorry things have been such a struggle with your daughters mom. That can be a difficult situation. I do understand. I have had the same problem. worse the last weeks so I know the feelings you are sharing.

Yes There is a difference. The end results become the same over time.. I am sorry you are having a bad moment and wish I could help. I have had the problem with forgetfulness alot lately...and stress is a huge burden to pile on and already existing pile of trouble and lack of sleep.

Please feel better soon.

Thanks Karen. we all have our problems, but there is not quick fix or one sze fits all remedy. at least you/we can talk about our problems. it may have an theraputic outcome...

Paul

Offline Zwitterion

• View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #386 on: 18/02/2007 23:36:46 »

[/quote]

Zwitty

Never tried the redbull, but i do believe it's not much stronger than a good cup of coffee, just more convienient. It's not just the forgetting and having to concentrate twice as hard just to get by it's the lethargy and apathy that makes me so mad with myself. some days i just can't be bothered, and those days are becoming more frequant.

Paul
[/quote]

The cant be bothered days are hard, and believe me ive been thru many a days where you have toput up a front and act like u care abt things...such as work, sometimes relationships etc ...its hard becoz ive started to find myself cancelling on my friends and family and u end up feeling more awful....but sometimes its best just to do the things that u normally do and dont let ur sleep dictate ur life....

do u do any sport?...i find that playing tennis always helps me...its a good release and also exercise always gives u a lift for some period of time so that might help!!.....

ive never been a one for talking abt my problems...but dont keep things in and tell ppl how u feel that will help too!!

hope u do get some joy re. ur daughter....maybe try working on the mum and bringing her round?.....make her understand a dad is important in a childs life and she cant deprive your daughter of that...

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #387 on: 19/02/2007 06:13:18 »
Hey Karen,

Really sorry to hear about what you had to go through...and that its still affecting you...have you been for councelling?  or anything else that might try and help you forget or put it behind you?

I have under gone counciling for other things, but never for the abuse.. I have always been a kinda heal thyself kinda girl.. This one I can't do anything with.. perhaps one day it will be resolved..  It is not the kind of thing I feel comfortable going into details about right now in the forum, I am in a bit of a low ebb, and need to steer clear of those thoughts right now..in the forum.. No Offense Please.. THank you for the concern though..

Paul I appreciate you also and maybe one day we will talk.I hope you don't spend the rest of your 7 years having to stress over this issue. Is your Daughter close to you.. I have almost got the impression she might be in the states or at least farther away is she not close to you? I wish you to have better days...You are in my prayers..

paul.fr

Insomnia support groups
« Reply #388 on: 24/02/2007 07:29:45 »

Paul I appreciate you also and maybe one day we will talk.I hope you don't spend the rest of your 7 years having to stress over this issue. Is your Daughter close to you.. I have almost got the impression she might be in the states or at least farther away is she not close to you? I wish you to have better days...You are in my prayers..

Hi Karen,
I missed this reply...I too hope things get better over the next 7 years, but i seriously doubt they will. Things still continue to get worse on a weekly basis.

Luckily, Anastasia is not in the States. They have however, recently moved so now i spend the better part of 4 hours travelling to pick her up and the same again to take her back to her mums. That's assuming the train does not get cancelled as it did last week and the buses run on time.

How are you going on? You seem to have been a bit quiet this past week, then again the whole forum has.

paul.fr

Insomnia support groups
« Reply #389 on: 24/02/2007 22:17:33 »
Evening karen, hows the sleeping going?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #390 on: 25/02/2007 00:38:18 »
Hi Paul new medicine is making me nuts, gave me 2 extra hours, but I feel like crud have no control.. I don't like it..  having some problems!I am having a hard time dealing with.. will be ok. I just need to figure out some things I don't understand. Am having a difficult time comming to terms with myself and the reality of life..I have always been such a stupid dreamer and I need to stop doing that! Because when reality sets in it seems that I don't handle things like I should.. Giving up things I want and dreams I have had my whole life for the reality of what I was given and what I am supposed to settle for. So I've settled.. and am just trying to stand up and keep going.... I don't know what else to do...*tears*. sorry, so emotional lately....sorry

paul.fr

Insomnia support groups
« Reply #391 on: 25/02/2007 00:49:13 »
Hi karen, i know what you are feeling, somewhat. I will write more when i am home, its just too hard tapping on little phone keys!

paul.fr

Insomnia support groups
« Reply #392 on: 25/02/2007 01:32:06 »
Karen, when i'm feeling pretty low i find listening to REM and The Smiths strangely uplifting! Must be their cheerful lyrics! But good music can cheer you up.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #393 on: 25/02/2007 01:49:08 »
Who are the Smiths? LOL I don't know that group, perhaps the songs but I don't recognize the group! It's ok THanks.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #394 on: 25/02/2007 01:50:58 »
Hey I learned how to put my picture in my profile, that makes me happy, It's not in the right place but it is there..LOL Oh well my target spot was the picture area.. LOL 

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #395 on: 25/02/2007 12:30:50 »
5:29 am still no sleep. Hope you are resting Neiland Paul and Zwitterion.. sleep well friends..

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #396 on: 25/02/2007 14:20:48 »
6:20AM

paul.fr

Insomnia support groups
« Reply #397 on: 25/02/2007 15:53:27 »
Well, i got a undisturbed 5 hours sleep, it was great! then i saw the pile of ironing....

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #398 on: 25/02/2007 16:27:39 »
LOL.. I only iron on occassion.. Pleats and dresses etc. I am glad you had some sleep.. YAYYYYYY! Hope your day is good.

paul.fr

Insomnia support groups
« Reply #399 on: 25/02/2007 16:36:36 »
I hate ironing, but itdoes make your mind wander and think things you norally dont...well for me any way lol. ironing isgood therapy.Afternoon zwitty.
« Last Edit: 25/02/2007 16:54:37 by paul.fr »

The Naked Scientists Forum

Insomnia support groups
« Reply #399 on: 25/02/2007 16:36:36 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length