The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can anyone recommend any insomnia support groups?  (Read 525778 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: Insomnia support groups
« Reply #50 on: 29/05/2006 09:20:54 »
Hey Neil, I thought I would join you here. It is 1:18 AM here so I am guessing it isabout ( 9:18PM there ) unless I am way off. I am having some trouble tonight also and I can't sleep either. Although I see you posted this last night. Did you ever get any sleep yesterday?
« Last Edit: 29/05/2006 09:22:09 by Karen W. »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 29/05/2006 09:44:18 »
Barbqued at a friends tonight and came home and can't sleep. I go in there and lay there and try to empty my head only to find it filling back up with useless dribble that I cannot do anything with. Sometimes I think I have these brilliant ideas that  could make me a fortune and then I think, good grief go to sleep already. I toss and turn think about hubby laying there next to me sawing logs and then I think I purposely ask him something to get him to keep me company  and then he gets really grumpy , ( I just don't understand why!) Its not like I am jealous or is it? I want to be able to lay on the pillow, pull the covers over my shoulders snuggle up and just go straight to sleep. I have never been able to do that my whole life. I struggle to go to sleep. I sometimes think it is a fear of something and yet I don't know what. Like I am so tired but as soon as I lay my head down something kicks in and pop up I come my body becomes antsy.
  I sometimes have a problem with restless leg syndrome. Some medications set it off, as well as some foods. I start to feel like  the blood in my legs is moving so fast It is what I would think of when you think of someone going through DT's. They feel like things are crawling on their skin. With restless leg, it feels like they are crawling under my skin instead. I feel like I cannot lay still, my legs feel jittery and they need to move. Sometimes a hot shower helps. Other time it does not. Sometimes sexual activity and the use of those thigh muscles help to relieve the symptoms also. Other times I have to get up move around and rub my legs alot! Really no fun, except for the sex that is, If hubby will wake up long enough!
  Have you ever had this problem with your sleep? Has sex ever helped you to fall asleep? I sometimes wonder what makes our bodies work the way they do.
 You know, you said that even though you are up for a really long time that you still don't sleep long. I find that to be the same for me.
 Neil it is so funny to be able to talk to someone with similar problems. It has become a way of life for me. My younger coworkers who are in there early 20's get way more sleep then I do, but I am not groughy and irritable like they are and I have a ton more patience then they do. I really don't get it. I am such a procrastinator about stuff. I wait till the last minute then I do everything on no sleep. No worries that I have to work all day, I do fine. I don't get it!
« Last Edit: 29/05/2006 09:59:53 by Karen W. »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 29/05/2006 09:59:05 »
I am going to make an attempt to get some sleep again. Its been about 4 hrs since last attempt, so it couldn't hurt to try! I hope you were able to sleep tonight. Maybe counting the wifes hairs will work this time. Counting has never done a thing for me. I just go nuts wondering if I can get past a trillion, but then what, I can't even tell you what comes after the trillons! Zillion? who knows, There have been nights when I would have still been counting.
  Well have a great day, I'll be back if the sleep escapes me, Love to the family.... Karen
« Last Edit: 29/05/2006 10:00:43 by Karen W. »

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #53 on: 29/05/2006 11:12:17 »
Geez, I am up after a very long trip and sweetie calling me at 2am my time...I had about 2hours of sleep and I am wide awake, did a load of clothes, sat on patio, my other phone rang at 3am and sweetie grilled me....geez, it was my alarm clock in case I fell asleep the other morning before leaving out of town...I was hoping to find some tips on sleeping....maybe need to get a stuffed animal and count the threads....boredom..live with boredom..

"Lo" Loretta

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 29/05/2006 11:12:53 »
Karen, you still up or Neil?

"Lo" Loretta

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 29/05/2006 13:07:13 »
I'm up now...crawed into bed at 9am...lucky me !

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 29/05/2006 18:31:54 »
Oh Neil, I'm sorry. I slept for a couple hours now wide awake againI think I nodded off aroun 5:00 am finally. Then I woke up around 7:30 am. Oh well I feel fine now , just a bit slow moving.
  Neal and Loretta I hope your sleep was fruitful and refreshing!

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 30/05/2006 00:51:27 »
Nope...I finally fell asleep around 7:30am and up at 9am...I hate this....when I do fall asleep around 2-3am I am up after a couple of hours...but hate it when I go from day until the next night or morning and am awake...it is nuts...

"Lo" Loretta

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #58 on: 30/05/2006 00:57:27 »
I generally feel tired enough to fall asleep at around 04:30 and get up at about 09:00 but i will wake up for 5 minutes or so every hour .

Its a right pain, but also weird because i never feel tired until 04:30 the next day
« Last Edit: 30/05/2006 01:07:16 by ukmicky »

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 30/05/2006 01:25:45 »
What is wrong with us?  I don't understand it...and I don't have no consistent pattern unless sweetie wakes me up..which since I have been off work, I have been more on his timezone than mine, which is not helping...as I am not yet back to work, I keep thinking it is because I can't do enough to wear myself out, but then remembered I would only sleep 2-4hrs a night when working anyway.  Do we require less sleep than others?

"Lo" Loretta

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 30/05/2006 08:47:38 »
Okay, I guess there is no help for us guys...I have been looking and there are some groups, but it doesn't appear it is really for people with insominia?  Other sleep disorders, yes....of course, part of mine maybe Denny...hey I have to find someone to blame?  It is only 2:45am now...

"Lo" Loretta

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 30/05/2006 13:26:17 »
That's always been the issue Lo. support groups for insomniacs per se are null and void.....as you say, there are for other sleep related conditions.

It's just not taken seriously at all....ho hum ! *le sigh*

What day is it?..ahhh Tuesday !..that's nice....apart from 50 minutes unconsciousness between 6 & 7 am this morning I'm as happy as larry !

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 30/05/2006 13:58:09 »
Yes, so true.  Maybe there is no way to determine what makes us sleepless for up to days at a time as each one of us have different sleep patterns when we do.  You are like me with a pill..I hate synthetic junk going into my system..mine is ambien...I hate it and will not take it...I can't take the heavy stuff as I am very much a lightweight to medicine, but don't like the way it makes me feel when I awaken.  Maybe we can find out certain things...like foods we eat, drinks we drink(or care to admit), activity,(I am told I am hyper and I think you are too from what I have read)Michael and Karen is up too...I would like to sleep more,and how in the world do we function like the rest of the world with a few hours...

"Lo" Loretta

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 30/05/2006 14:05:07 »
I don't know any other way....as far as I'm concerened this is the way my life is...the first few years of my life were ok as sleep is concerened , then, at the age of 6 mummy began to notice me staying awake all night...i've been like that ever since. So it's always been difficult to pin point an obvious cause in my case as it's been with me since childhood, through my teens, twentys, thirtys and now my fortys !...ho hum !....I've just accepted it...I mean ...what else can I do ?

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 30/05/2006 14:45:24 »
Mine started in the 30's, but my middle son used to be like that as a child, but now has grown fond of sleep...?  He is in his 20's.  I haven't accepted it much and maybe that is my point...maybe I should accept this problem as the norm...but still miss my sleep.  Do you ever have days where you can sleep more than 1-4hrs without a sleep aid?

"Lo" Loretta

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 02/06/2006 06:25:15 »
This night is not looking promising either...I may have to take my ambien as I had no sleep last night and the weird thing is...I closed my eyes and opened them and discovered it had been 10 mins but did not feel like I went to sleep!  If so, 10 mins??  ick!  I am wide awake...mopped kitchen floor, cleaned off cabinets and about to go and do some more domesticated duties...ick...this is getting bad...I hate to take this pill...as I know how it will make me feel when I awaken in the morning...oops, I mean this morning...still contemplating as I have to go out of town on a short trip in the morning...

"Lo" Loretta

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 03/06/2006 04:49:23 »
The thing about trying to go to bed at this hour (nearly 5am) is that it's broad daylight and the birds are singing !!..I don't feel like singing !!

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 03/06/2006 08:25:12 »
LOL  I am so excited it is now 2:23am!  Still no shut eye!  Woo Hoo!  I thought I would be sleepy by now...guess I should go back to reading my book.  ho hum...

"Lo" Loretta

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 07/06/2006 06:08:26 »
Not a good sign as I am wide awake at midnight...the last two nights had a few hours of sleep 3-4...if only I could get that amount now...I would be in heaven...Miss our other insominac, Neil...hope his training is going well and he is getting sleep.

"Lo" Loretta

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 07/06/2006 10:30:06 »
I am back...just went swimming, read, listened to music, and did everything possible to go back to sleep...I give up.  It is only 4:30am...aagghh!  Maybe I will do something else...?  go back on the internet...and research.

"Lo" Loretta

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 18/07/2006 13:34:22 »
Insomnia....grr!  I have been awake all night...not even 1 or 2 hours of sleep...aggravated kitty with string hehe...he stayed up to even though he layed down he kept watching string.. I have to go in today to work some OT for Memphis...some of their program needs to be updated...but it takes 4 minutes to upload stuff...ick...very slow too much data...very tired.  i may take ambien tonight

"Lo" Loretta

Offline healthier_cr

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 21/07/2006 15:51:24 »
Hi, one good thing we can do about Insomnia is to get as much information as we can related to it, a healthy life style is important too.  Here is a good reading newbielink:http://www.insomniatreatment.blogspot.com/ [nonactive], just my two cents.

"No matter where you go, you`ll still be there" Confucios.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 21/07/2006 15:55:02 »
Thanks Bill,

Excellent link.......and welcome to the forum.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 22/07/2006 09:06:42 »
Hey that is a cool link. You all should check it out! Most stuff I already know, but had some useful tips!......Karen

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 25/07/2006 13:24:58 »
Very cool link..but most of it I already knew...and most of it has been tried too.... :-( I am going to have to start taking my ambien...something I just discovered and you guys might want to think about it....it seems like the more I work, or activity I do during the day seems to make me more hyper....not, sure, but I am wound up more than ever at times when I work hard and it seems like I keep ticking along!!

"Lo" Loretta

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #74 on: 25/07/2006 13:24:58 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums