The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can anyone recommend any insomnia support groups?  (Read 524824 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #825 on: 10/11/2007 03:19:03 »
Oh Neily...Please be careful... I am so in trouble right now... can't stay long...Please sleep well..

Be careful ?....what about ?....I'd need a lot lot more to be 'not careful '.....just get yourself out of trouble....

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #826 on: 10/11/2007 03:41:28 »
 I am trying I hope you sleep good tonight....Sound like my kids... and my Doctor... night!

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #827 on: 10/11/2007 07:12:09 »
*sigh* I've just picked Nic up, now I'm too wired to sleep.

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #828 on: 11/11/2007 07:05:16 »
......2am.  another long miserable night. [V]

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #829 on: 11/11/2007 08:54:48 »
Sorry Carolyn!

Offline matt w

• First timers
  • enjoyin life while it lasts
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #830 on: 14/11/2007 02:18:08 »
hi all just been reading through the forum
my names matt, im 22 and i havnt been able to sleep properly for as long as i can remeber when i was young bout 4/5 i used to wait till my mum and dad went to bed then sit and watch TV all night because i couldnt sleep.
i used to go night after night with not a single bit of sleep longest i can remember was about a week n a half. but as im getting older i dont seem to beanle to cope as well.
i noticed some of you said you feel like zombies well i know the feeling.
i kind of feel emotionless
the problem is i know i should be sleeping as the time on the clock gets closer and closer to the alarm going off but it just doesnt happen
im guessing alot of you are older than me so id like to know if it gets harder to cope as we get older
i think my body needs the rest but my mind is sayin "not a chance m8"
even when i do fall asleep im never really asleep i remember all my dreams so clear and can only stay asllep for 2 hours tops
ive recently tried kalms suposed to be a herbal remedy to promote sleep but they dont seem to work with me
ive seen doctors and psychiatrists which all have there own theorys to why i cant sleep blaming it on stress or depression which i have neither
basically i signed up to the forum just to chat with people who can fully understand what im going through most people think insomnia is juat a dance track released in the 90s or they go on bout the film fight club, ive never met or spoken to any one befor that suffers from insomnia as i do.

also ive been told recently that some people have really fast matabolism or however its spelt not sure what that is exactly i was told that if you do you will produce energy within your body faster and in the case of sleep can recharge you body and mind faster than normal and we just dont need as much sleep as some people does anyone know if this is true
ive been told so many different causes for my problem thst i just dont know what to think any more.

[?] [?]

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #831 on: 14/11/2007 02:38:37 »
Welcome Matt! Glad to have you here. I do not recall hearing that about the metabolism, but I know Neil has like a ton of energy all the time he may know something of the phenomenom of which you speak. I just started using  a CPAP machine, and it helps when I finally am able to get to sleep! The problem is getting to sleep it is near impossible sometimes! Nice to see you here feel free to ask lots of questions! LOL Someone will be around to answer or at least try to!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #832 on: 14/11/2007 12:09:25 »
4:08 am can't sleep tonight.. Hoping all of you are snoozing away! Sweet dreams..

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #833 on: 14/11/2007 13:38:53 »
5:38 am still wide awake!

Offline matt w

• First timers
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #834 on: 15/11/2007 02:40:24 »
thanks for the welcome karren :D
on day 3 with no sleep now
just wondered do you ever feel like your well tired like its a proper effort to hold up your head so you go to bed but after lyin there 20 mins you feel wide awake again.
coz that just happened to me never happened b4 i normally lie in bed thinkin bout random stuff for a few hours till i eventually fall alseep or get bored and do summat lol
also that machine thing you mentioned where would i find out about it as in where to get one n that?
plus you said it helps you stay asleep once asleep i take it it doesnt help you get to sleep in the first place?
thanx in advance if you find time to answer my questions :D
« Last Edit: 15/11/2007 02:42:47 by matt w »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #835 on: 15/11/2007 02:55:51 »
Every single night I feel like that!

So tired so I lie down.. then boom like a huge adrenelin rush and I can't sleep. I have tried everything.. It has always taken me forever if not ever to fall asleep. Then I would wake up again moments sometimes an or two then that was it!

Offline matt w

• First timers
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #836 on: 15/11/2007 02:56:14 »
sayin that it could have been because of them kalms pills im takin
but still i didnt acctually manage to sleep
i should add i also suffer with ADHD which causes me to be hyperactive the thing is im not sure weather me not sleeping is because of that or if i do acctually have insomnia
basically i just wanna hear what its like for you to have insomnia so i can c the similaritys in myself
i still live with my mum (sad i know at 22) but she doesnt want me taking any sleeping tablets says i can get hooked and depend on em or summat so im open to sugestions for anything that might help that isnt basically a tranquliser

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #837 on: 15/11/2007 02:59:21 »
Oh Yeah about the cpap ask your doctor to recommend a sleep study have one done and see if apnea or hypneas are causing your problem once you reach sleep. My problem was I was never reaching rem sleep where you dream I was lucky to sleep two hours.. I am hit and miss. The last two weeks I have been very congested and cant sleep with the mask as it requires strictly nose breathing no breathing through your mouth...You could have some serious problems causing you to wake after you are finally out..

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #838 on: 15/11/2007 03:02:32 »
sayin that it could have been because of them kalms pills im takin
but still i didnt acctually manage to sleep
i should add i also suffer with ADHD which causes me to be hyperactive the thing is im not sure weather me not sleeping is because of that or if i do acctually have insomnia
basically i just wanna hear what its like for you to have insomnia so i can c the similaritys in myself
i still live with my mum (sad i know at 22) but she doesnt want me taking any sleeping tablets says i can get hooked and depend on em or summat so im open to sugestions for anything that might help that isnt basically a tranquliser

I tried them they were awful and did not make me feel good. I hate pills and would prefer to struggle rather then suffer the after effects of the pill. at least without it I was always able to be happy during the day but the sleep aide pills made me sleep hard but I felt drugged and out of it for two days! It was horrid.

Offline matt w

• First timers
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #839 on: 15/11/2007 03:08:03 »
how would you control that tho once asleep surely you have no way of knowin if your breathing through your mouth or not
whats a sleep study? do you have to try and sleep somewhere and ppl monitor you?
coz that could take a few days with me lol
im not sure if i reach REM i do dream but when i wake up i remember the whole thing like you remember what you did the day befor
i never get more than two hours sleep with the odd exception when ive been clubbin and got absoloutly smashed lol
but the feeling of being tired is new to me ive never felt tired b4
i thought i had but not like that could hardly keep my eyes open

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #840 on: 15/11/2007 03:08:42 »
I went and had two sleep studies done and It turned out that I was waking several time a minute.. having my body waking me when my heart rate dropped real low. I have heart problems. So it was causing these problems apneas and many many many hypneas during the course of 20 minutes period!

Offline matt w

• First timers
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #841 on: 15/11/2007 03:12:34 »
i was given general anistetic or what ever it is b4 an op b4 within seconds i was asleep but 30 mins l8r i woke up in the middle of my op n that was freaky has owt like that happened to you?

Offline matt w

• First timers
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #842 on: 15/11/2007 03:18:37 »
btw lol at the too much spare time on there hands level member thing haha funny

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #843 on: 15/11/2007 03:18:57 »
The tired is very new for me I think it is all the new meds but I get really tired every night now. Before I never felt so tired always just the opposite lots of energy and antsy..

Here is the thing with the mask if you try to talk or open your mouth to breath you choke because it forces a very large amount of air into your face like driving in the back of a truck and turning to face oncoming traffic at 6o miles and hour it takes your breath away. You automatically are forced to close your mouth in order to breathe

If you are dreaming you are reaching rem that is good it helps you feel some rested the next day! You could still have other problems like me or even differently!

When I started these new medications for my heart and other difficulties .. antidepressants , I really started feeling tired throughout the day where I never used to feel that day! I think meds play a part in that! Tired meant I could possibly get some sleep it was never a guarantee!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #844 on: 15/11/2007 03:22:09 »
Yes it is funny and befitting members with ensomnia although only relatively related.. I do spend any spare time here as I love this forum and its members never been party to such a wonderful organization as this is! It refers to number of posts etc. no biggie! LOL..

Offline matt w

• First timers
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #845 on: 15/11/2007 03:30:07 »
not sure i could sleep wearin a mask is it not uncomfortable coz that would be enough to keep you awake
ive only just come across this forum but ive been reading through alot and ive learnt loads
plus i never knew that so many ppl suffered with insomnia
think il have one of them sleep studies done i take it i just ask my GP
as i said b4 tho ive seen alot of doctors and psychiatrists and everytime i get a different reason as to y im not sleeping properly
im not sure they acctually know
« Last Edit: 15/11/2007 03:33:16 by matt w »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #846 on: 15/11/2007 03:42:57 »
 They don't Matt don't take this wrong but are you overweight at all because part of my hypneas are from being over weight.when you lay down these skin flaps and such block my airway some.. this could improve some with weightloss.

My first sleep study was fruitless as I could not sleep the second one they made me take a sleepaide. so they could monitor me through the night asleep! They hook you up to little electrode wires and then they monitor from another room after a few simple tests and questions.. They may have to do a second if you did not sleep!

Yep a GP is good! It takes real studying to isolate the problem and then there is still no guarantee they will!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #847 on: 15/11/2007 03:50:18 »
Will be back in a bit,, enjoy and prowl around..

Offline matt w

• First timers
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #848 on: 15/11/2007 03:56:11 »
no im not overweight my GP says i have perfect phisical health thats also y the last doctor i saw told me about the metabolism thing i wasnt really listening tho (ADHD)
i wonder why none of the people ive seen has recomended a sleep study b4 is it common im guessing it is, i will ask about it even if they cant help atleast it should help me understand my problem
thanx for takin the time to answer my questions neway
you might get sick of me soon lol ;)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #849 on: 15/11/2007 05:41:03 »
No... won't get sick of you! Feel free to ask any questions you like. If we can answer we will. Neil could really help you I believe he knows more about it because he has been struggling like you since he was a boy. He has tons of energy like you...

The Naked Scientists Forum

Insomnia support groups
« Reply #849 on: 15/11/2007 05:41:03 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums