The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can anyone recommend any insomnia support groups?  (Read 524931 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #850 on: 15/11/2007 05:52:00 »
He is the one who talked me into the sleep study and I brought it up at an appointment but as I did, she had already talked to a sleep lab about me and made arrangements seem she and Neil were on the same page...LOL... Check out CPAP MACHINE! Mine is a Bi Level Machine it has a vaporizor as well as an adjustable start up so it starts at low air and gradually builds up over 45 minutes giving me more time to sleep before it blasts me! LOL!

Read this web address info that I will pm you...about cpap machines etc.
« Last Edit: 19/11/2007 02:20:12 by Karen W. »

Offline Misty

• View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #851 on: 19/11/2007 13:51:48 »
Hi Guys
Just returned from vacation, which was great and yes, I managed to relax and even get some sleep!

Now what I used while away (partly coz we were travelling through time zones) was 6 gm Melatonin and 30c Coffea Cruda.  I managed about four hours sleep most nights, which was great, although felt exhausted the first few days as not used to sleeping. 

I do also take Zopiclone or Promethazine if I get desparate.

Welcome to the newcomers - sorry to hear you too experience insomnia, a common and much misunderstood problem.  The worse thing for me is you can't get time off work for being too tired through endless lack of sleep, even though one is  probably a menace on the road driving to work (can't possibly be functioning properly)and probably prone to making mistakes at work.

GPs are useless.  I was told that my insomnia was due to an underlying depression.  I was not depressed until I started not sleeping.  I'd always been a vibrant and outgoing sort of person.  Lack of sleep makes me hyper, after about two nights without sleep I begin to feel a "buzz", as if my body is wired and I become even more alert and "high".  I also get feelings of panic in the early hours, especially when I know I have to work the next day (I only work part time now because I don't feel I can cope with a full week's work and work related stress any more).  This panic feeling seems to give me a rush of adrenaline and then I am wide awake and I find my hearing becomes very acute too.  I too also find that the longer I don't get any sleep, the less sleepy I feel, don't yawn, etc.

On the whole I try not to worry about it, but I'd be lying if I said it doesn't bother me.  I am sure a whole range of minor ailments I now suffer from are due to lack of sleep (needless to say the GP says not).

On the weight issue - I have put on loads of weight over the past 10 years despite increasing exercise and eating healthily - again I mainly blame lack of sleep for this and I have read that this is often the cause of weight gain for people.

Hey ho, life goes on!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #852 on: 19/11/2007 14:27:07 »
 i AM GLAD YOU HAD SOME SLEEP ON YOUR VACATION AM SORRY YOU HAD TO USE SO MUCH STUFF TO GET TO SLEEP. i HOPE YOU ARE RESTING NOW THAT YOU ARE HOME!

Offline Misty

• View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #853 on: 21/11/2007 10:08:39 »
Not sleeping since my return :0(
Seein homeopath this evening to see what he has to say.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #854 on: 21/11/2007 14:01:22 »
Hi All,

Please forgive my recent lack of participation here. I have become extremely lethargic and also ....in recent times I've had a change of attitude (well the last few years actually)...in that I took a leap of faith and just have an air of total acceptance.

This in fact does help me cope a lot better. I don;t get as stressed as I used to , tired and exhausted etc etc yes...but...after so many years...and with so little support.....the only help I find is best to help yourself !

For the peeps here who's Insomnia is just transitory or just come and goes in phases then I would urge them to keep shouting at their doctors...in these cases there is usually always an underlying reason.........for those who know nothing else....then...well...it's up to you......I just accept my situation......It's my life.....I wouldn't know a good nights sleep if I actually had one !!....

for the most part....this acceptance has helped....I still of course have all the usual suspects that comes with deprivation of sleep.....but I find just a small change of attitude helps one to cope........cos if no one is really gonna help us...then..we have to find a way to help ourselves....

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #855 on: 23/11/2007 06:05:55 »
Hi Plaidlumberjack !!

Just gone 6am here !...oh well !!

Naa...even the biggest cities in the world have sod all when it comes to support networks......the only place I could think of going in the middle of the night is the 24hour supermarket !!...Oh joy !!.....

well...I suppose I could go running up and down my street ringing everybodys doorbells !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #856 on: 24/11/2007 12:40:55 »
LOL... Now com on tell the truth you have already done that! Thats why the neighbors wear ear plugs!!!! Tell the truth already! LOL LOL!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #857 on: 24/11/2007 12:49:55 »
Can't sleep. WOE IS ME.... achy all over tonight. shoulder hurts my back is aching low and on the sides having discomfort between my shoulder blades in the middle of my back..neck muscles are sore and I need a nice massage! Yikes.. my legs are acting up to boot! I might join you Neil.. I'll knock on my  5 neighbors doors!! Maybe they are doing something interesting...

well well well.... la da da da da.....oh poo!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #858 on: 25/11/2007 08:09:06 »
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!

none of this is me...

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #859 on: 25/11/2007 09:45:01 »
Oh I am sorry Sheepy! Wish sleep had found you! I tried to find some more that you could try... why not try any of these:

Or maybe wake up wifey and try lots of this:

I bet that would help! LOL LOL!
« Last Edit: 25/11/2007 09:56:37 by Karen W. »

Offline Laura B

• First timers
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #860 on: 26/11/2007 11:38:14 »
Hello

I hope you do not mind me adding to your forum, but I would be really interested in your views.  I am a Trainee Clinical Psychologist and currently doing my Doctorate on Chronic Insomnia at the University of Glasgow Sleep Laboratory.  This forum has been very useful for understanding the torment that many of you go through, and lack of appropriate treatment options.

Traditional treatments such as Cognitive Behaviour Therapy or medication, does not always appear to be beneficial for individuals with life long insomnia, yet clinicians currently manage people with insomnia in the same way, regardless of their presentation.

My current research is looking at alternative psychological treatments for insomnia.

I would be really interested in hearing from anyone to gather some more information. I hope that if you do contact me, you would find it beneficial to discuss your sleep related difficulties, and to receive feedback regarding the findings of my research.

Please e-mail me at the following address for further information:
sleepresearch@hotmail.co.uk

Thank you

Laura

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #861 on: 26/11/2007 12:02:18 »
Welcome Laura and thank you for picking this thread... You may find Neilep very interested also. As All of us will be in learning how your work progresses. Welcome again and I hope you can have a lot more success then the currant researchers.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #862 on: 26/11/2007 13:39:08 »
I have emailed Laura...hopefully she'll get in touch.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #863 on: 26/11/2007 13:40:35 »
Good! YAYYYYYYYY! Maybe something she does will be a useful tool for you to sleep!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #864 on: 26/11/2007 15:00:50 »
I have been up all night. Am tired but have tried several times and no luck  this time.. I hope you all slept better then I did last night!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #865 on: 26/11/2007 15:13:57 »
I have been up all night. Am tired but have tried several times and no luck  this time.. I hope you all slept better then I did last night!

The sleep I had was forced with Nitrazepam sleep tab joy !!....and then I was awake at 6:30-7am...oh happy days !!

sorry you too are having a rough time.

I think I need a machine like yours.....except that my one repeatedly knocks me out with a hammer !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #866 on: 26/11/2007 15:39:54 »
Getting to sleep is the problem with the machine.. once asleep It helps I feel better even if all I got was three hours it feels like more. I think it keeps the breathing from waking you so much. Having your adenoids removed when you snore really badly helps my Johnny had a heck of a time with sleep because of the snoring.. they took his adenoids out when they did his ear and cut the bone back and put in the tubes. all in one step which was nice. He has been great since as far as sleeping. he sleeps very well now.. but it was horrid when he was little.

I bet a machine would help you.. once you got to sleep. I bet your snoring causes trouble!

I am glad you got some and I will get some too, thanks Neil.

No Hammers allowed!!!

Offline Laura B

• First timers
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #867 on: 27/11/2007 16:19:10 »
Hello

Thank you for the warm welcome and for getting in touch.  I will be happy to post any significant findings on here.

Study will be running for the next six months if anyone else is interested in participating.  Please contact me, and I can provide you with additional information (see previous post).

sleepresearch@hotmail.co.uk

Laura

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #868 on: 27/11/2007 18:36:53 »
I would be interested but am not in the uk so I will wait for you to post some results as you go. Thanks  and glad you looked here I hope it helps some of these people!

Offline Misty

• View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #869 on: 28/11/2007 13:42:09 »
Hey Guys
Good news - for me at any rate.  Went to see Homeopath and was given some tablets - have been sleeping 4 - 5 hours a night since last Friday!  Don't even wake up with partner's snoring!

I am happy with this amount of sleep, although I felt sooooooo tired the first morning.  I hope it lasts................... :0)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #870 on: 28/11/2007 19:12:26 »
Nice do you know what it is they gave you? I am glad it is working. Is it a hebal tablet or something you need to get with a prescription?
I hope it continues to help you and that there are no bad side effects!

Offline Misty

• View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #871 on: 12/12/2007 12:37:09 »
I've been given Coffea Cruda because it fits my symptoms (its not the same remedy for everyone).  It is natural - "like cures like" type of thing - in this case if you drink coffee it is likely to keep you awake, but taking a minute dose of Coffea Cruda induces sleep - that's my understanding of it.  I used to think it bunkum, but when you are desparate you will try anything and so far, this does seem to be working - even if it's psychological in reality!!  No side effects with homeopathy apparently, it either works or doesn't.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #872 on: 12/12/2007 16:25:03 »
Crap Night...Crap Life !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #873 on: 12/12/2007 16:30:29 »
No sleeping yet..So sorry sheepy. Sending you all my sleepy zonked feelings!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Insomnia support groups
« Reply #874 on: 12/12/2007 16:42:33 »
Thanks Karen,

But save them for yourself....nothing works for me and the whole friggin world don't care !!..(I mean the medical world)

*can ewe tell i'm in a baaaaaad mood ?*

The Naked Scientists Forum

Insomnia support groups
« Reply #874 on: 12/12/2007 16:42:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length