The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Magic Sand !!  (Read 6707 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Magic Sand !!
« on: 20/04/2005 23:06:11 »
This stuff is rather strange !! (789kb)

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
Re: Magic Sand !!
« Reply #1 on: 20/04/2005 23:56:55 »
It is cool, I will have to get hold of some...I found more about this here:
http://www.chemistry.org/portal/a/c/s/1/acsdisplay.html?DOC=vc2%5c1rp%5crp1_sand.html

apparently they react (CH3)3SiOH with normal sand which is made of SiO2 the Si ends up bonding with all the SiO2 leaving a load of hydrophobic CH3s (like little short bits of oil) waving about. This makes water avoid it so it behaves a bit like a bubble, this is why the surface is all shiny. Unlike a bubble it sinks as it is full of sand.

I think it goes all rigid and produces snake shaped things as the sand is being compressed by the surface tension of the water and sand particles under compression tends to lock together and not flow, and the sand stays in the shape it entered the water in.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/04/2005 08:27:08 »
It is rather snazzy isn't it ? Presumably this technique of waterfproofing could be used in a whole manner of different ways, not just sand but clothes, boats,cars etc etc

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/04/2005 10:22:35 »
To get this specific reaction to work you need to be coating SiO2 so sand or possibly glass, although I don't know if the disordered structure of glass would leave holes in your coating...

Offline Tronix

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21/04/2005 15:32:13 »
that stuff is just freakign cool. before we know it, kids will be making sand castles under water, and well have cities of magic sand, and little mermaids and cybernetically enhaced dolphins and a civil war between the forces of the sea and the polluting land walkers and..
okay a little too much magic for me. But still i got to wonder how this stuff was invented? Sounds liek this was an accident turned into a strange and wierd plaything, which might become serious scientific advancment.

--------------------------------------------
"If i cannot have company whose minds are clearly free, I would prefer to go alone."                  -Dr. Gideon Lincecum

The BPRD rejected my application becuase their brain-controled by Cthulhu Rip-offs. And im sure "Sparky" is sleeping with them too, kinky little firecracker she is...

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21/04/2005 20:04:49 »
Well I want some, it would be cool to play around with,..........underwater sandcastles sounds great...I wonder, if you made them big enough would they be airtight/watertight ?

Lets hope a passing Magic Sandcastle expert passes by and tells us.

Offline Quantum cat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22/04/2005 08:41:30 »
I used to have some when I was nine or ten I think. It's great fun to play with.

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26/04/2005 09:56:16 »
Hmmm very interesting

Maybe some dried sand and some silicone waterproofing spray, the type used on tents will have the same effect? Thought about wd40, but it leaves a film of grease.

A friend of ours has a colley cross dog who loves the sea, as do our own dogs. However, despite his long coat, he never gets wet??? his outer hairs get wet, but the under-fur remains bone dry.

Death is natures way of telling us to slow down.

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26/04/2005 18:39:45 »
I think you would be lucky to be able to distribute the waterproofing spray on all the surfaces without gluing the grains together.

Actually if you don't wash out all the protective greese out of your hair it is quite waterproof - it is wierd, when it gets wet the oils in your hair go really greesey and become quite waterproof. You probably don't want to know how I discovered that one ;)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26/04/2005 20:20:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by daveshorts

You probably don't want to know how I discovered that one ;)

Oh yes we do !!!:D

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26/04/2005 20:35:26 »
In a younger more antisocial time, I once didn't use shampoo on my hair for 3 months as an experiment (I didt rinse it and towl it dry). It wasn't that bad really. After a few weeks the greese levels stabilised at slightly greesey but not as bad as your hair gets when you forget to wash it for too long, it kept the rain out when it rained, and was quite livable with... well for me anyway - my girlfirend at the time got fed up and ambushed me with a bottle of shampoo, and I couldn't be bothered to let it equilibriate again as that involves a period of unpleasently greesey hair.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 26/04/2005 20:35:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums