The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Don't IT marketers know what bandwidth is?  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
Don't IT marketers know what bandwidth is?
« on: 26/01/2009 04:40:56 »
My Web hoster informed me that they will notify me when my alloted storage space is nearly full, and when my usage of "bandwidth" for the month is approaching its limit. Why do we see so much misuse of the word "bandwidth"?

For the public enlightenment: "Bandwidth" is a scientific term having a specific meaning. It refers to the difference between the highest and lowest frequencies that can be transmitted through a given channel. Although this in a measure of the information capacity of the channel, the term is inherently analog and real-time, not digital nor a general description of a service plan. It is measured in hertz (kilohertz, megahertz, etc.), not, strictly speaking, in bits per second. (To obtain the latter measurement, we must possess also the signal-to-noise ratio). And it is altogether erroneous to speak of the allowed megabytes per month in a service plan as the "bandwidth."

Will advertisers and marketers of information services please consult your dictionaries more regularly?

lyner

« Reply #1 on: 26/01/2009 07:58:34 »
It may not be helpful of them but what they are saying is that your MB per Month is a certain amount. What they are telling is "your average bandwidth", in MB /month rather than your peak bandwidth in MB/s.
It would be better if they were to talk in terms of your total information volume.
I might agree with you that the character who writes the wording for your bill hasn't got a bleedin clue!

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26/01/2009 11:04:20 »
They just call it the Broadband Usage Meter here.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 26/01/2009 11:04:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums