The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can alcoholic beverages be taken when taking antibiotic?  (Read 9593 times)

Offline RyanGuyardo

• View Profile
Is the any side effect or chemical reaction between alcohol and antibiotic?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Can alcoholic beverages be taken when taking antibiotic?
« Reply #1 on: 26/01/2009 05:52:07 »
What kind of antibiotics are you on?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26/01/2009 05:57:08 »
Have you checked with your doctor first?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26/01/2009 06:08:00 »
According to Alice:

While health care providers don't think it will "kill you to have a glass of wine now and then," many do caution against drinking while taking antibiotics. That is, if you're sick enough to need antibiotics, you should probably focus on getting better.

Although kidney damage from mixing antibiotics and alcohol is unlikely, the odds of liver damage are higher. Many antibiotics are broken down by the liver, and so is alcohol. Since the liver can only metabolize so much at one time, overloading it with antibiotics and alcohol increases the risk of liver damage. For this reason, anyone with a diagnosed liver condition, such as Hepatitis B or C, should not drink while taking antibiotics.

Even without drinking, certain antibiotics can have some uncomfortable side effects. People who take an antibiotic called Flagyl (generic name: metronidazole) often experience nausea and vomiting. Others who take an antibiotic named isoniazid, or other antibiotics that contain isoniazid, may experience diarrhea. While these symptoms aren't necessarily related to any liver damage, they can be pretty unpleasant. Also, vomiting and diarrhea can lower the level of the antibiotic in the body, affecting its ability to fight an infection. So, people who are taking Flagyl or isoniazid should stay away from the bottle, too.

Ultimately, the choice is yours, but you may want to ask yourself some questions:

•What type of antibiotic are you taking?
•How important is it for you to create an ideal environment (in your body) for the antibiotics to fight infection?
•Did your health care provider, pharmacist, or antibiotic package insert warn against drinking?
•Do you notice that the antibiotic alone makes you feel nauseated? What if drinking makes you feel even worse?
•Is your liver already compromised by a pre-existing condition (e.g. hepatitis)?

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/5144.html

Offline RyanGuyardo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26/01/2009 06:54:08 »
Well my antibiotic is "Unasyn Tab 375 MG", 2 tablets daily.
No, I haven't asked my doc.

6 months ago i suffered from tonsilitis, my doc. gave me another set of antibiotics for this to be taken when suffer from tonsilitis in the future. Now my tonsilitis is much much better (really, as I am already in normal condition). By the way, 3 days ago my throat was slightly pain and I stared to fever, usually my fever will recover in 1 day, but it didn't, so I am sure its tonsilitis.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26/01/2009 07:04:33 »
Are you drinking?

Offline RyanGuyardo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26/01/2009 11:52:53 »
Did you mean I am an alcoholic?
Definitely no..

So, the answer is...??

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26/01/2009 22:16:49 »
I don't know ?????????
I am not in a position to tell you what the answer is. [:I][:I]

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26/01/2009 22:40:33 »
My husband is a pharmacist and says that very few types of antibiotics should not be taken with alcohol. He is not here to ask which ones but don't drink alcohol when you have tonsillitis. You are limiting your bodies powers of recovery by filling it with something it has to metabolise and get over.
Go to your chemist and ask your pharmacist. They know more about drugs than Doctors.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 26/01/2009 22:40:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length