The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is your experience of the Canon Powershot SX10IS?  (Read 10830 times)

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Thinking of getting one of these babies anyone used one?
Canon Powershot SX10IS

zoom test

manual mode test
feature=related

« Last Edit: 02/02/2009 17:47:15 by chris »

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: What is your experience of the Canon Powershot SX10IS?
« Reply #1 on: 30/01/2009 18:05:13 »
I've had the old S1IS for a few years, and it's a fine camera.  This seems to be much the same but better. I suspect it would be a very good camera.

The only issue I have had is that the ccd failed after a trip to Morocco, but it's a known error that Canon will repair for free if you send the camera to them.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30/01/2009 18:11:19 »
Thanks Ben

I had an olympus MJU 700 that packed up just after waranty ran out. There is a known problem with the Olympus resulting in an error number and the blue screen of death. It is clearly related to a geer wheel drive for the lens, possibly due to using the wrong material in their making. Contacted Olympus to ask if they could fix it as it was a know issue with this particular camera. they said it will cost 50.00 No doubt plus postage. I asked if they had upgraded the defective part or just replacing with an identical part? No answer, except send the camera in and pay the repair costs. Will never buy another Olympus as long as I live!

Canon for me from now on at least.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #3 on: 01/02/2009 12:26:19 »
I'm a Nikon man myself, but have had a Canon many moons ago & thought it a very good camera.
Take a look at DP Review, I find their reviews very comprehensive and objective.

Here you go Andrew, http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q109superzoomgroup/page2.asp

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01/02/2009 14:18:38 »
I've not had a Powershot but I do have a Canon DSLR which is a fantastic camera. I've also got a Canon video camera. I think it's a very good make.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01/02/2009 15:17:47 »
Thanks Don
Thanks Eth

Canon PowerShot SX1 IS Digital Camera is more expensive but has HD video recording also has autoshot incase I want to become a paperatzi :) tempting though

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01/02/2009 16:16:52 »
I've not had a Powershot but I do have a Canon DSLR which is a fantastic camera. I've also got a Canon video camera. I think it's a very good make.
What have you got, Doc? I'm due to inherit an EOS 30D soon...

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01/02/2009 18:02:17 »
I've got a little ol' EOS2

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #8 on: 02/02/2009 08:31:41 »
Zoom lenses have improved no end in recent years. In the past there was always a 'price to pay' insofar as picture resolution was concerned. Although prime lenes remain the best, the zoom lenses of today are perfectly acceptable for most photographers.

I have had a Nikon 18 - 200 mm AF:VR:DX:G lens since I bought my Nikon D300 just over a year ago. The results are fantastic even when shooting hand held. But with this Canon used at it's maximum zoom (which I think will be 560 mm) I would say even the steadiest hand coupled with the image stablizer would result in some blur, so I would suggest a tripod would be a real bonus. There are some pretty good lightweight models at very reasonable prices. If you want to keep to a minimum of fuss, you could go for a monopod.

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02/02/2009 09:38:57 »
I wholehartedly agree - with the S1IS at 10x zoom, even the act of removing your finger from the shutter button was enough to blur most pictures - at 20x, it must be even worse. (the trick was to keep your finger down!)

Nice recommedation Don_1 - dpreview is an excellent site - it seems very trustworthy too.

Andrew - here's a handful of shots taken with the S1IS - it's only 3.2MPixel, so the SX10IS should be markedly better:
Adandoned WWII French car
Lemurs
Seagull
The banks of the Mekhong
The Forest Wat, Nong Khai
Fire Poi, Koh Chang

Even in those you can see the purple fringing - the reviews suggest this is much improved in the newer models, but still a bit of an issue.  I've found it not to be a problem unless I wanted to go for a very close crop - in which case I should have just got closer in the first place!

By the way, the S1IS cost me nearly 300 in 2004 - seemed a lot for a 3.2Mpixel camera, but it has served me very, very well.  However, the model I really wanted at the time was one of the early Panasonic Lumix cameras (sadly, it's release was delayed) - they've got Leica lenses so the quality of the optics is excellent.  Here's the closest to the SX10IS - may be worth checcking dpreview to see how they compare:  http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/1258590/index.html.  In fact, here it is... http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q109superzoomgroup/page7.asp
« Last Edit: 02/02/2009 09:52:40 by BenV »

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02/02/2009 17:20:14 »
Hi Ben Thanks for the info on the Panasonic. Been spending some time on reviews. Turns out to be a far better camera IMO than the canon and a fair bit cheaper too. has 18x zoom instead of 20 but records video in hd and has hd output, also has a 13 frame per minute auto shot, the best auto settings mode going in any camera and produces some pretty decent photographs.

Liked you pictures also.

Don.  Tripod is a must on long range photography. I do like the image stablizer on the canon and Panasonic. Some good videos on youtube for reviews and walk through's much better than spending a day on the manual

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
What is your experience of the Canon Powershot SX10IS?
« Reply #11 on: 04/02/2009 13:33:10 »
Just as a footnote here, Nikon will be releasing their new Coolpix P90 in March. This is a 12.1 mp compact with a 24x zoom (giving 26 - 624 mm) with an RRP of 290.00 ($400)

Some details here: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0902/09020303nikonp90.asp

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28/03/2009 18:03:24 »
http://www.wired.co.uk/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/2009-03/19/nikon-coolpix-p90-.aspx
Review on your camera, now in shops. Not a great review IMO

Just as a footnote here, Nikon will be releasing their new Coolpix P90 in March. This is a 12.1 mp compact with a 24x zoom (giving 26 - 624 mm) with an RRP of 290.00 ($400)

Some details here: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0902/09020303nikonp90.asp

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #12 on: 28/03/2009 18:03:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums