The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How would you like to be remembered?  (Read 9925 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
How would you like to be remembered?
« on: 31/01/2009 16:26:20 »
When you pass on from this life to wherever your beliefs say you go, how would you like to be remembered? And how do you think people will remember you?

Personally, I would like to be remembered as having been a good friend and as having done more good than bad. It would also make me happy to think that some of my music will live on after me. However, I'll probably be remembered as a psychotic nutter and a grumpy old git  :D

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 31/01/2009 21:11:00 »
My cat is very close to passing on. She has stopped eating and can't walk very far. I will remember her for her generous gifts. When she was very young and I was teaching, we would lock her in the kitchen in the day, with access to a cat flap. When I came home one night the kitchen was full of live butterflies. She must have been popping them through the cat flap all day. If we left her for the neighbour to look after, whilst we went away, she would lay out a line of dead butterflies outside their back door.
When David went away for a week she brought him a freshly slaughtered water rat on his return. When I came home from hospital with baby Murray, my first son, she would leave small dead mice next to his bouncy chair.

I guess I'd like to be known for the same generous spirit but also someone who liked a damned good laugh. I would also like there's no business like show business played at my funeral.
« Last Edit: 31/01/2009 21:14:06 by Make it Lady »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31/01/2009 21:42:57 »
I would also like there's no business like show business played at my funeral.

I've written my own funeral song called "Thank Fek He's Gone At Last".  :D

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31/01/2009 22:30:47 »
I don't want a funeral - I want a comedy roast. At the end they will prop me up at the end of the roast with a sign around my neck that says "I charged this event to the members of the dias."

Seriously, I want people to remember the good that I have done for others, not the mess I have made of many, many things. And I want them to know every tough decision was made with the best interest of others put before my own. Most of the world will not notice when any of us leaves this orb. To have changed one life for the better besides our own is something we can take comfort in. I am told that I have done this but it is something I cannot judge myself. But to be remembered fondly by those who care for and love us: that is the best I can hope for - and the only thing I want. 

The hell of this is that those who love and care for us most usually doesn't include your family!!  ;D
« Last Edit: 31/01/2009 22:49:14 by JimBob »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31/01/2009 22:42:31 »
Well said, Jim. I totally agree.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31/01/2009 23:37:31 »
Wouldn't it be terrible if your "wonderful life" guardian angle came down and showed you what would have happened if you hadn't been born and there was no difference. I'd imediatly go out and try to change someones life just to go nerh!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01/02/2009 00:24:51 »
Probably all the same as you Eth but to know that I have loved with all my heart and received that same love back..this makes me happy!

Hoping that I have taught my children and others that love is not enduring through a treacherous marriage or relationship because I made a vow, but because I love.. You know.. move on if it doesn't work and find real love that makes you happy... and those around you will be better for it!

I have always tried to be a good person but I have made tons of mistakes along my way..but giving my love to others has never been a mistake.....I hope people see me deeper then my flaws and not a scatter brained idiot who was nothing but a mushy Romantic who still believes that romantic true love still exists... And I still want some!

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #7 on: 01/02/2009 13:09:33 »
I'd like to be remembered as the saviour of both the planet and the human race, but because I'm not I can't see it happening.

A few of my friends may be sad if/when I pass on before them but I'm sure they'll have a good drink-up to comfort themselves and then get on with their own lives, so I doubt that I'll be remembered at all;  move along, move along - nothing to see here.

Offline atrox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01/02/2009 14:03:02 »
I would just like the idea, that the people I love would remember, how I thought about life and death, and just could feel happy for me.
They should know, that there is no need to cry for me... I lived my life allways in a way, that I could die tomorrow and could say "I didnīt miss a thing, I have no regrets".
There shouldnīt be a need to feel sorry for me, that I just have died.

Thatīs all I would like to be remembered of me... noone shold be too sad that I have gone.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01/02/2009 14:31:00 »
That Karen - scatter brained idiot who is nothing but a mushy Romantic who still believes that romantic true love still exists  :P
« Last Edit: 01/02/2009 14:33:14 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01/02/2009 18:52:45 »
Romantis love exists but it disappears after the first bonk!

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #11 on: 01/02/2009 19:15:56 »
Romantis love exists but it disappears after the first bonk!

I believe that not only mantii but also spiders tend to go for one-night stands.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01/02/2009 20:04:52 »
FOG!

Off subject -

For once, let us please keep this as serious as possible - it is a serious subject and I think there are some of us who would like to explore this in depth, myself included.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01/02/2009 20:29:50 »
FOG!

Off subject -

For once, let us please keep this as serious as possible - it is a serious subject and I think there are some of us who would like to explore this in depth, myself included.

Shut it, killjoy!

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01/02/2009 20:30:42 »
I've decided that at my funeral, I would like a bunch of dwarfs to burst in at the back of the church singing "Ding, Dong the witch is dead" .....class!

Oh sorry, we are supposed to be serious. I guess that is not how I want to be remembered....She was serious...NO!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01/02/2009 20:32:28 »
It's my thread and if I say it's OK not to be serious then it's OK. OK!?  [:(!]

paul.fr

« Reply #16 on: 01/02/2009 21:08:38 »
As a terrific lover will do, but failing that a great lover will do. I don't want to be buried, as i think people feel they have to make those sunday visits with flowers and spend time at cemeteries, so cremated and in a jar on the window sill...visit me in warmth and comfort with a cup of tea...

blakestyger

« Reply #17 on: 01/02/2009 22:36:01 »
I would like my attempts at love-making to be forgotten, if they haven't already. But wait, we're British so it's OK to be crap in bed and have ugly teeth.
I've arranged it so there will be no memorial to me anywhere - and anyway, we're all forgotten after two generations so what the hell. ::)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01/02/2009 22:46:45 »
I want to be cremated & scattered in a field of horses. Memorials are pointless.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01/02/2009 23:04:11 »
I would like my attempts at love-making to be forgotten, if they haven't already. But wait, we're British so it's OK to be crap in bed and have ugly teeth.
I've arranged it so there will be no memorial to me anywhere - and anyway, we're all forgotten after two generations so what the hell. ::)

Now Now.. Its not the making of  love but the feelings involved in making that love... Be good to yourself!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01/02/2009 23:07:09 »
I want to be cremated & scattered in a field of horses. Memorials are pointless.
That's beautiful.. Doc..

I am so scared of fire I think I want to be buried.. I love a fireplace but to be cremated.. I don't know.. bout that.... although cost and such are so much better... That I agree with Paul in that he wishes to be visited on the mantle with a nice cup of tea.. that sounds sweet and warm!
« Last Edit: 02/02/2009 08:50:16 by Karen W. »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02/02/2009 04:24:43 »
FOG!

Off subject -

Alright already - so I am a spoiler. I learned it from the master - D. thee, Beaver! (sic)

« Last Edit: 02/02/2009 04:28:07 by JimBob »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02/02/2009 04:31:13 »
I've decided that at my funeral, I would like a bunch of dwarfs to burst in at the back of the church singing "Ding, Dong the witch is dead" .....class!

Oh sorry, we are supposed to be serious. I guess that is not how I want to be remembered....She was serious...NO!

Now, Now, The correct political term is little people - oh I forgot you are a _itch!

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #23 on: 02/02/2009 04:37:41 »
"I don't give a toss what you've done with me when I've shrugged off m' mortal coil... Shove a bit of flex up m' back passage, stick a lightbulb in m' mouth and stand me in the hall. (sniff) Mind you, if you're using electricity you'll have to dry me out first!"

From 'Sir Henry at Rawlinson End' by Vivian Stanshall

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02/02/2009 08:54:12 »
I seriously would like to be remembered fondly by my young students as having been a very loving,patient, caring teacher..and who Loved teaching them and learning from them as well!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 02/02/2009 08:54:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length