The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why does the earth tilt?  (Read 22452 times)

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
Why does the earth tilt?
« Reply #25 on: 13/02/2009 23:29:17 »

Quote from: A. Davis
It depends on whether you believe the universe is made from electromagnetic radiation.
Looks like the Photonic Theory of mine in the New Theories forum. I have found only a very few physicists who will entertain this notion. :)
« Last Edit: 13/02/2009 23:31:16 by Vern »

lyner

Why does the earth tilt?
« Reply #26 on: 13/02/2009 23:48:41 »
It depends on whether you believe the universe is made from electromagnetic radiation. if you do then maxwells equations rule and the solution inside all spherical bodies are spherical harmonics governed by strattons equations. Whenever there is a join in the solution the equations change and produce different precession angles, hence the earth and mars solutions. The earth has one moon and mars has two. I can't help you much more than this you have to look at the maths.
Doesn't the fact that the Earth is a composite body make any difference? What are the wavelengths of these waves? Aren't we dealing with ten to the umpteenth atoms - each one involving its own waves? What chance does a macroscopic model have in this case?

What about all the other satellites?  There isn't only the Moon.

Can you SHOW me the Maths? You really haven't been very explicit about your workings - not enough for me to even try to repeat your claimed reasoning and hints of "Maxwell's Equations".

And I can't see how any of this should depend upon Belief. Proof has to come before belief if we're being scientific, surely.

Offline A Davis

• View Profile
Why does the earth tilt?
« Reply #27 on: 14/02/2009 00:25:02 »
Your macroscopic point is a good one, very large wavelengths produce the interior of the earth and very short wavelengths produce particles and elements which in turn produce the crust. I failed to mention that Strattons equations give the steady state result. If an asteroid came close to the earth the precession angle would increase, if it was captured, it would become permanent. You need to do some maths, differentiate the legendre polynomial with respect to d(theta). to get the associated value and plot.

lyner

Why does the earth tilt?
« Reply #28 on: 14/02/2009 13:44:37 »
Are you trying to say that atoms don't exist at the centre of Earth, then? Why don't their individual waves count just as much?
As I said before,  YOU have to do the Maths and WE look at it! You are the one who is trying to topple the present ideas - which are to be seen everywhere.
If you can't do that then we don't have to accept anything you say - certainly not "believe" anything.
Stratton just gives a way of solving equations - you have to derive the equations in the first place, for the particular situation. Go on then!
« Last Edit: 14/02/2009 13:46:57 by sophiecentaur »

Offline A Davis

• View Profile
Why does the earth tilt?
« Reply #29 on: 20/02/2009 00:32:05 »
P41cosθ = sinθ (7.cos3 - 3.cosθ)5/2  it has a maximum value at 23.87deg it's precession angle.

Planet  Solution  Moons  Precession Angle
Mercury P10cosθ  none  zero
Venus   P20cosθ  none  zero
Earth   P41cosθ  one   23.87
Mars    P72cosθ  two   23.73

The Naked Scientists Forum

Why does the earth tilt?
« Reply #29 on: 20/02/2009 00:32:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums