The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Where does our bacterial flora come from?  (Read 3331 times)

Offline Domen Puncer

• First timers
    • View Profile
Where does our bacterial flora come from?
« on: 03/02/2009 22:30:03 »
Domen Puncer asked the Naked Scientists:
   Hello!

Last newbielink:http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/podcasts/ [nonactive] got me wondering.

How do we get various bacteria that live inside of us? Like gut bacteria,
species living in mouth etc.

What do you think?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03/02/2009 22:40:57 »
The environment.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/02/2009 20:15:44 »
I believe that experiments looking at the biodiversity of the bugs on people shows the answer to be mainly our mothers, to some extent the rest of the family and also from other sources.
They get into the gut by being swallowed adn making their way down- in spite of the acidity and such. I think that acidity is much lower in the guts of very young children.

Offline Domen Puncer

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/02/2009 17:51:40 »
OK, I can believe that we "eat" them, and then they live where there are suitable enough conditions for them. (The other sensible option might be umbilical cord, but I have no idea.)
But, how do we "eat" them in the first place? Babies don't eat guts of their mothers ;-)
OTOH they do put pretty much everything in their mouth.

Does that mean our bacteria can survive outside as well? For how long, and how does it get there?

And, does that mean a baby in sterile environment wouldn't live long, because it would lack some important bacteria?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05/02/2009 20:14:40 »
OK, I can believe that we "eat" them, and then they live where there are suitable enough conditions for them.
 (The other sensible option might be umbilical cord, but I have no idea.)
But, how do we "eat" them in the first place? Babies don't eat guts of their mothers ;-)

Meconium is the earliest stools of an infant. Unlike later feces, meconium is composed of materials ingested during the time the infant spends in the uterus: intestinal epithelial cells, lanugo, mucus, amniotic fluid, bile, and water.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meconium

In a previous study, bacteria were able to be isolated from umbilical cord blood of healthy neonates and from murine amniotic fluid obtained by caesarean section. This suggested that term fetuses are not completely sterile and that a prenatal mother-to-child efflux of commensal bacteria may exist. Therefore, the presence of such bacteria in meconium of 21 healthy neonates was investigated. The identified isolates belonged predominantly to the genuses Enterococcus and Staphylococcus.
http://www.sciencedirect.com

« Last Edit: 05/02/2009 20:19:00 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 05/02/2009 20:14:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums