The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does kick-boxing cause arterial disease?  (Read 1947 times)

David Lassiter

Does kick-boxing cause arterial disease?
« on: 07/02/2009 10:54:31 »
David Lassiter  asked the Naked Scientists:

Chris and the crew,

I am a student at the University of Texas studying nutritional science and exercise physiology. I found your podcast a couple of months ago and have since fallen in love with it! I have spent many hours working on assignments while listening to your past episodes.

My questions for the naked scientists are as follows:

When veins and arteries heal from ruptures, do they heal to be harder and thus more resistant to future damage?

If so, then are kickboxers (or other individuals who suffer from repeated contusions) at a greater risk for atherosclerosis?

Thanks for the show!

--
Regards,
David Gray Lassiter

What do you think?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07/02/2009 11:10:03 »
The conditioned areas show very little subcutaneous fat deposits. All students report lesser amounts of injuries, less severe pain in injuries that are accidentally sustained and enhanced healing of such injuries. At least for the author medical nurses who have had to give injections or draw blood, have complained that the blood vessels are hard to find, that they are deep and the skin itself is thick.

Is Body Conditioning Karate's Lost Art?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/02/2009 11:13:40 »
From reading that article, I think that the skin becomes tougher and thicker and the blood vessels are therefore deeper, I guess that is how the body adapts. But that is not to say that the blood vessel walls don't become harder of course :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 07/02/2009 11:13:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums