The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What can cause high levels of creatine kinase?  (Read 11454 times)

nadia nawaz

What can cause high levels of creatine kinase?
« on: 07/02/2009 12:30:02 »
nadia nawaz  asked the Naked Scientists:
   Hello

I came across you site on the net. Hope you dont mind me emailing you.

My brother was a keen weight lifter, going to the gym 3 times a week.

However in Feb 2008 he was taken to hospital with a CK (Creatine Kinase) of 36,000 and then in June 2008 with a CK of 12,000 and finally in December with a CK of 16,000.

The first 2 episodes were exercise induced as he had been to the gym, however the latter was because he had just lifted a sofa - his muscle biopsy was normal - The docs cant find what has caused these episodes...

Can you shed some light on this?

What do you think?

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 22/02/2009 12:02:15 »
I didn't remember in detail what creatine kinase does so I googled it. Here's what I found:

In tissues that are energy hungry, especially skeletal muscle, but also brain and smooth muscle, creatine kinase serves as an energy reservoir. It is an enzyme that catalyses the convertion of ATP into phosphocreating, a substance that can be rapidly regenerated back into ATP when needed.

Clinically, creatine kinase is assayed in blood tests as a marker of myocardial infarction (heart attack), rhabdomyolysis (severe muscle breakdown), muscular dystrophy and in acute renal failure.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23/02/2009 17:22:34 »
Eur J Emerg Med. 2001 Jun;8(2):155-7.

Exertional rhabdomyolysis in a body builder abusing anabolic androgenic steroids

Braseth NR, Allison EJ Jr, Gough JE.
Department of Emergency Medicine, East Carolina University School of Medicine, Greenville, North Carolina 27858-4354, USA.

Rhabdomyolysis, or acute skeletal muscle destruction, may be accompanied by myoglobinaemia, myoglobinuria, and an elevated serum creatine kinase level. This disorder has many potential causes. In this article, the authors describe a case of rhabdomyolysis occurring after vigorous weight lifting by a man who was supplementing his weight-training programme with the intake of anabolic androgenic steroids dispensed to him by a colleague.

PMID: 11436915 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11436915

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 23/02/2009 17:22:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums