The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: why are IQ tests so crappy  (Read 4157 times)

sharkeyandgeorge

why are IQ tests so crappy
« on: 01/05/2005 12:54:12 »
every time i take an IQ test my score changes and not by the perhaps expected 1 or 2 points I just lost thirty points dammit is there a proper scientific test i can take once and for all or is it all subjective and this question is in the wrong forum.
also my IQ tests scores go down when in drunk but up when im stoned WHY?
if it helps my highest score is 176( stoned out my mind) and lowest 120(totally pissed) when sober( rare) my test are between 167 and 133 WHY?

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
The philosopher Q man

Offline simeonie

• View Profile
    • http://www.simeonie.co.uk
Re: why are IQ tests so crappy
« Reply #1 on: 01/05/2005 13:48:38 »
Yeah I noticed that mine changes too. I haven't tried it when I am drunk and when I am stoned because I am only 14 lolz. But the first one I took was 164 and then the sencond was 140. I don't think getting drunk and stoned would really make a difference I think it was just chance. hmmmm I dnt know the reason why though

Simon
Trust me I am a doctor!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/05/2005 14:31:16 »
My highest was -64 :D *sigh*..probably why I ask silly questions !!

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline simeonie

• View Profile
    • http://www.simeonie.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 01/05/2005 18:04:07 »
Does anybody know a good website for testing your IQ for free? I am curious about finding out what mine is

Simon
Trust me I am a doctor!

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01/05/2005 18:34:46 »
My problem with IQ tests is that what they measure is, in effect, how good you are at IQ tests. As a small child, my way of passing "wet breaktime" when we couldn't go outdoors to play was to sit in a corner with a series of books for practicing "verbal reasoning", "numerical reasoning", etc... the sorts of skills tested for on IQ tests and (as I understand it) the 11+ grammar school entrance test.
As I did them, they got easier... you learn to understand what the types of question are looking for (rather like doing cryptic crosswords) and so can get much higher scores than someone as "clever" but who hasn't spent hours of their time on the (essentially pointless) pursuit.

I think what I'm trying to say here is, basically, don't take an IQ score too seriously. For a test that claims to measure native intelligence it's very dependent on background etc.
Online tests (at least the free ones I've seen) tend to consist of a fairly small range of types of test and a fairly small number of examples of each. It's not surprising different sites give radically different measurements.

Perhaps I'm too cynical... but I don't think so.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01/05/2005 21:45:26 »
As Rosy said, IQ tests measure one's ability to do IQ tests not one's actual IQ. They can to a certain extent, however, be used in similar ways to psychometric testing: i.e. to test perception, logic, concentration and so forth. But as a measurement of IQ per se, they are next to useless.
One's mental acuity fluctuates in accordance with biorhythms plus there are other factors such as sleep patterns, stress levels etc that can affect performance.
Treat them as a bit of fun but don't hold too much store by them.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 01/05/2005 21:45:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums