The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Dual boot  (Read 6258 times)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Dual boot
« on: 08/02/2009 17:21:54 »
I mostly use windows 7 but occasionally revert on a separate drive to XP32 for a few odd programs that work better there.
I would like to put them both on the same drive but there is a big problem because of the differing boot manager systems I have 'Acronis' and 'Disk Wizard' but neither are little help any suggestions

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Dual boot
« Reply #1 on: 08/02/2009 17:38:42 »
Boot Manager
Acronis® Disk Director® Suite 10.0 includes new Acronis® OS Selector — a powerful, reliable, and easy-to-use boot manager.

It allows you to install 100 or more multiple operating systems (OSes) on one computer. You can boot an OS from any partition on any hard disk or have several multiboot systems on the same partition. This completely redesigned solution is now easier to use and faster.
http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/diskdirectorsuite/multibooting.html

I've never used this product, so I cannot say if the OS combo you want is possible.

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
Dual boot
« Reply #2 on: 08/02/2009 17:58:38 »
I run two Apache web servers with the Linux OS and we have a half dozen or so computers that we play with. Every time I have set up a duel-boot system on a single HD it eventually led to problems. So now I put each OS on its own hard drive. In fact, I disconnect the power lead from my Windows HD before I install Linux on its own HD.

I then reconnect so that both HD's have power.To switch between OS's I go into BIOS and change the boot priorities. This has worked well for me over the last couple of years.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Dual boot
« Reply #3 on: 08/02/2009 22:26:39 »
Every time I have set up a duel-boot system on a single HD it eventually led to problems

Hmm... all of the systems in my small render-farm (more of a small-holding really) are dual-boot on a single HDD, although admittedly, only one of them also dual-boots with Windows - all the others have two similar linux systems on them, one of which is never updated and which is guaranteed to load and the other which is updated, and which may therefore have problems after a bad update.  Even with the one system I have that also runs Windows though, I've never had any problems (I use the Grub boot-loader, which is a bit more advanced than the old lilo boot-loader).  Disconnecting the power lead from the Windows HDD when you install Linux just seems paranoid, unless you're not sure about how you've partitioned the drive.  You have to be a bit more careful when installing Windows after installing Linux though, as Windows does seem to believe that it should own everything.

Offline MonikaS

• View Profile
Dual boot
« Reply #4 on: 08/02/2009 22:48:40 »
I'm using Vmware for the different OSes I need.

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
Dual boot
« Reply #5 on: 09/02/2009 12:41:16 »
Yes; I guess I'm paranoid after a few  times when I lost the boot sector completely. Then there's that pesky Trojan that the kids always get infected with that writes itself into the boot sector.

But I say what ever floats your boat; do it.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Dual boot
« Reply #6 on: 09/02/2009 21:41:51 »
I "borrowed" a copy of Acronis Disk Director but it does not seem much help I think I will give up and settle for the two drive solution.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Dual boot
« Reply #7 on: 15/02/2009 11:31:43 »
I've always had dual boot, since many years Vern.
You shouldn't need to worry about whether you have two OS on the same HD or not.

There are two boot loaders that I've used for linux, Lilo and Grub.

Both works very well, I prefer Lilo myself:)
Just tell the installation to place the 'boot' at the MBR on your first HD (hda f ex.) and it should work.
http://redhat.activeventure.com/73/installationguide/s1-upgrade-lilo.html

And you can boot more than two OS:s with Linux boot loaders:)
Lilo offers you up to sixteen 'images' to boot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LILO

And here you can read about Grub
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_GRUB

« Last Edit: 15/02/2009 11:43:14 by yor_on »

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
Dual boot
« Reply #8 on: 15/02/2009 20:27:47 »
I've set up duel boot many times to go between Windows and Linux. I used Lilo then Grub. Now I always use separate drives for each OS. Drives are cheap.

I started using separate drives after the grand kids kept getting a Trojan internet bug that writes itself into the MBR. They probably got it from the same place each time, not realizing it was killing the computer. I never found a way to get rid of it.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Dual boot
« Reply #9 on: 21/02/2009 14:47:38 »
You don't need an aftermarket boot loader ,just split the drive and install the new os. Windows will then create a boot.ini file  which will contain information like this

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

On start up it will read the boot.ini file and ask you which os you would like to boot from. If you don't give an answer it will after a set period of time load the os numbered (1)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Dual boot
« Reply #10 on: 27/02/2009 17:27:42 »
It is not quite so simple if you are mixing XP and Vista or Windows 7 be sure and load the systems in the right order then you can edit which one starts up in the windows 7 system.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Dual boot
« Reply #11 on: 11/03/2009 14:35:23 »
I did that with Vista and in the process i found that they had changed the boot in Vista:(
So I had to get a third part tool to fix it properly. Sometimes i wonder if they do those thing just to p** me off? It must mean I'm a man of importance then:)
But then on the other hand I'm no fan of Vista. The only thing I really liked with it was the new file system that they said would treat everything as a 'object'. But that hadn't materialised (?) when I tried it, so I found XP perfectly functional for my needs :)

10 GB for a operative system? I remember getting a diskette with a operative system on it once, and a GUI, and a automatic Internet connection. Yeah I know, it's all that 'necessary' stuff one need today :) But you can get a faster Linux distribution with with all the software you ever gonna need for free and that will still be under six GB (well around that number at least:) In Vista you will probably need somewhere near 15 GB for the equivalent value. Take a look here. http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Linux_software_equivalent_to_Windows_software
« Last Edit: 11/03/2009 14:39:07 by yor_on »

lyner

Dual boot
« Reply #12 on: 14/03/2009 23:54:05 »
I've heard of duelling with swords and pistols but never heard of duelling with boots.
FOG

The Naked Scientists Forum

Dual boot
« Reply #12 on: 14/03/2009 23:54:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums