The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What are vitamins and minerals in our diet?  (Read 6841 times)

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
What are vitamins and minerals in our diet?
« on: 09/02/2009 12:41:31 »
Everybody knows that vitamins and minerals are an essential part of diet but what are vitamins? Come to that, what does it mean to have iron in our diet? Could I achieve this by licking an iron bar each day or eating iron filings?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10/02/2009 03:36:01 »
Vitamins are organic substance essential in small quantities to the metabolism in most animals.

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/02/2009 08:49:06 »
Hi Chem4me

That doesn't really answer the question. We all know they are essential in small quantities but what are they?

We rely on thousands, maybe millions, of chemicals for our various body functions. Since most of them are made within us I assume they are organic but are not all vitamins. Think of all the hormones, for instance (some of which, such as Vit. D, are classed as vitamins). What makes some of them vitamins?
« Last Edit: 10/02/2009 08:51:07 by John Chapman »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/02/2009 08:50:29 »
Ah okay, I see what you mean :)...
Hm....

Offline Nicci

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/02/2009 09:29:10 »
Vitamins and minerals are required very specific amounts, some even trace amounts.Some vitamins are toxic in large amounts - these are the fat soluble vitamins - A,D, E and K. That said they are very important for general health and body function.Besides supporting the immune system they are also metabolites for various cell processes including the forming new red blood cells.
Most macro and micro nutrients are available in the foods we eat, though due to modern food production much of the nutrition is not very bio available, in other words your body cant use it efficiently - your body doesn't know what to do with iron filings. But you body does know how to break down food into the components it needs to function . It is impossible to sum up the reason why we need vitamins and minerals in a short paragraph.

Offline Chelsie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10/08/2009 03:25:19 »
Hi Chem4me

That doesn't really answer the question. We all know they are essential in small quantities but what are they?

We rely on thousands, maybe millions, of chemicals for our various body functions. Since most of them are made within us I assume they are organic but are not all vitamins. Think of all the hormones, for instance (some of which, such as Vit. D, are classed as vitamins). What makes some of them vitamins?

To be very specific, in metabolism vitamins generally act as co-enzymes needed to drive specific metabolic reactions forward. A co-enzyme is any small molecule that is necessary for the functioning of an enzyme. Without them, reactions couldn't proceed and we would fail to synthesize the essential energy (ATP) we need to survive. 

Iron isn't really a vitamin, but we need iron in our red blood cells so that we can transport oxygen. Every blood cell contains hemoglobin. Each hemoglobin contains an 4 iron groups which allows oxygen to bind. Red blood cells then carry the oxygen molecules all over the body to be used.

I don't suggest anyone licks or eats straight iron. Just eat a healthy diet with occasional red meat. It can be noted however in some countries where starvation is common, people will start craving and eating dirt as a way to enhance their iron and vitamin intake but it doesn't usually help.
« Last Edit: 10/08/2009 03:44:57 by Chelsie »

Offline Kevan Gelling

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10/08/2009 13:51:23 »
Magazine Forbes has made the list of 12 products which can become a basis of ideal diet. Eating the right foods to increase your metabolism and prevent most of diseases.
 I always try to eat only "right" food".
http://www.vitaminsdeficiency.org/food-for-ideal-diet/

"Right" foods - according to whom.  Is any evidence that can back up the claims in this article?

For example, Green tea: Though any tea is useful, green tea contains unique combination of chemical substances possessing anticarcinogenic properts. - not according to this review

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 10/08/2009 13:51:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums