The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Have you ever butchered animals for food, if not could you if you needed to?  (Read 9922 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Just Curious my family raised chickens ducks etc.. and I was aware of the process and hated it.. I know how to do it  but it would drive me insane to have to take its life!

I can barely squish an ants but I do.. I don"t like them on the food surfaces..

What about you?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Do fishies count?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Yes I suppose they should!
I used to catch them but could not eat them... not nice eh?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Did you butcher your whittle gold fish???

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Nah, I'm a bit edgy when I have to pull out fish guts. I just watched my mother.

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
Fish, rabbit, pheasant, duck, lamb......

I'm afraid that I don't have any qualms when it comes to providing food, and infact, it is possibly more environmentally friendly to do it yourself....

However, I see no point in needless ant stamping. The two principles are in my opinion mutually exclusive.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Nah, I'm a bit edgy when I have to pull out fish guts. I just watched my mother.
Yeah I know what you mean.. it makes me so sick and nauseous...

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Fish, rabbit, pheasant, duck, lamb......

I'm afraid that I don't have any qualms when it comes to providing food, and infact, it is possibly more environmentally friendly to do it yourself....

However, I see no point in needless ant stamping. The two principles are in my opinion mutually exclusive.
Do you ever have trouble with ants in the kitchen.. or even there at all?

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I did in my office last year - they had made a nest in one of my pot plants (that's a plant in a pot, not something that renders you a twiglet fiend) and so I took it outside into the woods, where I'm sure they still live in peace and cosmic harmony.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Good boy but when they decided to take over my bread my stove and my sugar canister I sprayed around all my door frames and windows and floor boards and pipes and voila they all disappeared!   They are not my cup of tea.. a bit spicy for me..LOL..

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Pheasant & Hare.

I see no problem with killing for food, so long as you make good use of the entire animal, even down to boiling the bones for soup.

I annoys me to see people in fast food outlets who order a burger (or similar) and leave half of it.

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Pheasant & Hare.

I see no problem with killing for food, so long as you make good use of the entire animal, even down to boiling the bones for soup.

I annoys me to see people in fast food outlets who order a burger (or similar) and leave half of it.

Quite so. I forgot deer. Since deer need to be culled for population controls (oh! and boar) it makes perfect sense to me to make use of this for food.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Do you both Hunt?

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I have done some, but much of the game meat comes from foresters who do.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Are permits to hunt hard to come by there?

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The licence to own a rifle is not an easy path, but is open to all. The area in which you can hunt has to be owned by you, or <ou have to be invited by someone who owns the area, so just because you have a hunting licence, this does not mean that you can just go and hunt.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Wow that must be difficult if you live by your own means?

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
An old colleague of mine used to bring game down from his home in Norfolk.

I'm very partial to venison and can't understand why some go all squishy over eating it. UK butchers must have a license to sell venison, I get mine from Newport Pagnell. Their's comes from the annual cull at Woburn. A necessity to stop the deer overpopulating the grounds and eating themselves out of house & home.

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'm very partial to venison and can't understand why some go all squishy over eating it.

This is the "Bambi" effect. "How can you kill something so pretty, you heartless beast?"

A necessity to stop the deer overpopulating the grounds and eating themselves out of house & home.

This is the reality. "Something should be done to help maintain the deer population and their health and vitality."

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
Freddy, aged 11, went off with our 2'2' air rifle lay down in the garden and shot two pigeons. Sadly they weren't killed cleanly so I had to do some neck pulling. I'm not keen on the killing bit but if you do it then you have to do the animal justice by cooking and eating it. I did a lovely pigeon breast stir fry with the fresh meat. Freddy by this time had gone off the idea of being the mighty hunter.
He watched the Jamie Oliver program on breading and slaughtering pigs though and was quite unphased.
I was brought up on a farm and butchering the animals was the end of a process. Making that end quick and stress free for the animal is the only thing that we can do if we eat meat and want to be part of that process.
When it comes to fish though...YUK! I think it is the slime and the eyes and the smell that puts me off. I think I never experienced fishing as a child so haven't got used to it.

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
MiL - If the fish is fresh, then the smell should be minimal - the same for the slime.

I've also collected mussels in Scotland, which you stick into boiling liquid (wine and cream - yum!)

blakestyger

I had an uncle who was a shooter and by the time I was 14 I could prepare anything for the table - rabbits, venison, pheasants, partridges, grouse, pigeons and all manner of fish. I still can but could never kill anything myself anymore, not even ants.

blakestyger

MiL - If the fish is fresh, then the smell should be minimal - the same for the slime.

dentstudent is right - as Gordon Ramsey said: 'If your fish shop smells of fish - keep walking'.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
I killed some bread by toasting it !

Offline yor_on

• (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
I have no qualms eating bread either Neilep.
As long as they don't fight back.

But then, I'm easily scared:)

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums