The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Have you ever butchered animals for food, if not could you if you needed to?  (Read 9897 times)

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
If I toast bread then it oftne turns to charcoal (I burn it) daily almost.

I am too squeamish to kill anything let alone a fly/ant/animal.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
I have no qualms eating bread either Neilep.
As long as they don't fight back.

But then, I'm easily scared:)

Ewe are always welcome round my house for non-scarey toast !  ;)

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Ah, would that be a charcoaled handprint?

As I said, I'm soo easily scared:)

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why, In my younger days I was the great white hunter. I hunted birds, deer, feral hogs (just as mean and dangerous as boar) fished - and ate them all. When in college I worked at a summer internship in Corpus Christi, Texas, a sea port in South Texas. My roommates and I fished, caught crabs and never bought meat, except for bacon. The long days of summer - not dark until about 9 PM - gave us time to go to the piers and docks, catch our food and come home and clean it before bed. And the fishing was so good you didn't need to do this but once a week or so.

I have also spent time wwith friends wwho kept their own flock of chickens - just like a goose you have shot: very hot water to soften the skin and the feathers to de-feather, cut the skin completely around the cloaca, reach in and pull out the guts, wash completely. Fresh free range chicken.

This whole subject is very informative to me about the way our society hides death from us. Death is part and parcel of life. That we should place all sorts of barriers between ourselves and death engenders fear and squeamishness. One summer during high school I worked at a geriatric hospital. People died - and the staff cleaned and prepared the bodies for the funeral home.
It was probably the most important job of my life as it gave me a perspective that would have otherwise been kept from me. Seeing death up close, be it of fish fowl, pigs, cows or human, give one a perspective few have and gives you a greater appreciation of life and less fear of it ending.

OK, I have gone all philosophical on y'all.

The simple answer is "Yes" 

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
When in college I worked at a summer internship in Corpus Christi, Texas, a sea port in South Texas. My roommates and I fished, caught crabs and never bought meat

Did you get them seen too?

Offline Mirage

• Neilep Level Member
  • Dry Hump anyone?
    • View Profile
    • http://brokenzanymind.blogspot.com/
I watched a few episodes of Kill it Cook it Eat it on one of the BBC channels. I found the whole process interesting. I have never done anything like that myself but would be willing to give it a go.
I don't have an issues with hunting but only when the animal killed is put to use afterwards i.e. a tasty meal :)

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
The sad thing is that we have lost the skill of dispatching animals quickly and cleanly. Even though I was a farmers daughter, we sold the farm when I reached my teens so I lost the knack and can't pass on that knowledge. Killing is harder than it looks on TV. It is much easier if you can learn from someone.

Offline Mirage

• Neilep Level Member
  • Dry Hump anyone?
    • View Profile
    • http://brokenzanymind.blogspot.com/
Killing is harder than it looks on TV. It is much easier if you can learn from someone.

Oh no doubt, it's the reason why I wouldn't mind trying for myself.
I only mentioned the programme as I thought it was quite insightful with different views and opinions to the whole aspect of hunting. Had some veggies on there  ::)  ;)

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I grew up in a hunting family so seeing an animal killed and butchered doesn't bother me in the least.  When I was growing up my dad used to have me help after he cleaned the dear.  I would have to help him grind some of it for venison burger and wrap and label it.  I hated the chore, not because I was disgusted, but because I found it so incredibly boring and none of my friends had to do it, their parents got their meat from a supermarket!

I also married a hunter and both of my children have killed deer.  Now thankfully, they take their kills to a deer processor who does the work for them.  Our freezers are full every year of venison, usually much more than we can eat, but we also give a great deal of it away to friends and to homeless shelters.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
When in college I worked at a summer internship in Corpus Christi, Texas, a sea port in South Texas. My roommates and I fished, caught crabs and never bought meat

Did you get them seen too?

No - what we would do to get rid of them was sprinkle sand liberally on our groins, keep the area rather wet with cheap whiskey and let the crabs get drunk and stone each other to death.

It was rather difficult as what we caught were blue crabs, and we kept only the large ones - there were too many otherwise. Ever try to get these even into your pants???

Picture below not loading. - OK new picture hope it works now
« Last Edit: 10/02/2009 18:58:34 by JimBob »

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
While we're discussing JimBob's crabs, here is some RSPCA advice about how to humanely dispatch your crustaceans...

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Probably NOT let them boil to death as I usually do - Mwhhaahaaaaa,  Mwhhaahaaaaa,  Mwhhaahaaaaa!

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
Where do royal crabs catch trains?

Kings cross station.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
That must be an English joke. I don't get it.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length