The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why does shutting my computer instead of hibernating it give me more memory?  (Read 5334 times)

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why does shutting my computer instead of hibernating it give me more memory? ??????
At least that is what I think is happening anyway, but only on the C disk, so it seems  :)

About six days ago, the C Disk had about 300mb of memory left, so I shut it down every night for four nights every time I went to bed. Two days ago when I looked again there was 4.7 gb left!  :o
And now I look at it, there is still 4.15 gb left. I hibernated my computer for the last two nights so obviously the memory has already started decreasing, what is going on here?  ????????? 

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I always wondered what the hibernate mode was supposed to accomplish anyway so I am curious what you find out C4M!

Offline MonikaS

• View Profile
Hibernation writes the content of the computer's memory onto the harddisk. When you switch the computer back on, the content is loaded back and this normaly is faster than a normal boot and all the applications that were open at hibernation time are open again too.

Hibernation costs diskspace, the memory content is written into one large file on disk C:. How much RAM do you have? 512MB? The hibernation file isn't deleted even if you shut down the computer normaly.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
1 GB RAM.
Oh... I see what you mean :) Thanks

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
I've noticed a similar thing on my PC at home. If it is left on, goes into hibernation, and then gets re-booted, the hard drive seems to be working for an absolute age making that funny "clicking" noise, as though it's "thinking". If it gets turned off completely then turned on, the "clicking" doesn't seem to last nearly as long. So MonikaS, you're saying that this is probably due to the hard drive....

Offline MonikaS

• View Profile
Clicking noises? Ummmm, going into and waking up from hibernation puts a high strain on the hardware. And that clicking might mean that the disk is about to fail. Better be extra careful with backing up your important data.

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
You know when your disk is saving stuff, or when it's just turned on? That sort of clicking noise. I don't think that it's a fatal deathwatch beetle type of clicking!

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Don't you click when you've been turned on?  [:I]

Offline MonikaS

• View Profile
You know when your disk is saving stuff, or when it's just turned on? That sort of clicking noise. I don't think that it's a fatal deathwatch beetle type of clicking!

Oh ok, looks like it's not an impending harddisk failure. Backups are important anyway, though.

Offline MonikaS

• View Profile

Nope... I break out the whip...

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Nope... I break out the whip...

So, which part of Hamburg do you live in?

Offline MonikaS

• View Profile
St. Pauli! I live there, but I don't work there.  ;D
« Last Edit: 11/02/2009 15:42:00 by MonikaS »

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums