The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What Makes The Sound Of Ripping Paper ?  (Read 6174 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
What Makes The Sound Of Ripping Paper ?
« on: 12/02/2009 01:57:23 »
Dearest Luffley Academics Of Wondrous Knowledge .

Oh how lucky we all are to have ewe guys & gals help us here. :)

What an amazing resource ewe lot are !! :) ....*end of ingratiate mode*

Paper is great....it's my all time favourite thing that ewe can write on that is made from trees and ewe can wipe your bot bot with it too. For those two reason alone I luff paper very much !!

Look, here's some I just ripped up !

That top one is a cloudy, the next one is an ice rink, then there is some snow and the other is Botticellis ,Birth Of Venus !

Whilst ripping I could not help but notice the sound it made...it was actually quite loud for such a papery thin thing.....so, it got me thinking......what is it that makes the ripping sound when ewe tear paper ?

As a firm believer in empirical study I'm about to sneek into my neighbours house where I know he keeps his last remaining 100k under his mattress in 50 notes....My special credit crunch treat for him ,will enable him to help me answer the question by tearing up his money in 200 segments. Even now,I am imagining how thrilled he will be. ;)

However, just in case , in the unlikely event, that ripping up his life saving does not bring forth an answer can ewe help me ?

Thanks

Hoogles and Shmoogles

mwah mwah mwah

Neil
Ripping Yarns
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12/02/2009 08:17:09 »
Whilst ripping I could not help but notice the sound it made...it was actually quite loud for such a papery thin thing.....so, it got me thinking......what is it that makes the ripping sound when ewe tear paper ?
Don't know for sure; I'd say it's made by the air's vibration due to the sudden movement of broken paper's fibers.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/02/2009 10:09:29 »
I found this:

When paper is torn, the fibers vibrate as they are broken or torn apart. More importantly, the paper amplifies the sound.

Compare the loudness between tearing paper holding it very close to the tear and tearing paper holding it at the edges.

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071010215517AAkPc2w

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/02/2009 10:40:43 »
Don't know for sure; I'd say it's made by the air's vibration due to the sudden movement of broken paper's fibers.

THANK EWE lightarrow ' sounds ' very plausible and therefore, coming from ewe , it just has to be right.

I just wonder how it's so loud considering how thin it is !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/02/2009 10:43:44 »
I found this:

When paper is torn, the fibers vibrate as they are broken or torn apart. More importantly, the paper amplifies the sound.

Compare the loudness between tearing paper holding it very close to the tear and tearing paper holding it at the edges.

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071010215517AAkPc2w

Wicked !!  THANK EWE Chemistry4me

The amplification that the paper adds sounds reasonable too. So the paper sheet itself acts as some sort of diaphragm like you get with a speaker !

Brill

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #5 on: 12/02/2009 11:05:22 »
If you have half an hour to spare, listen to this, I did while driving between a couple of shows yesterday. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00hd80x

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12/02/2009 13:33:49 »
If you have half an hour to spare, listen to this, I did while driving between a couple of shows yesterday. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00hd80x

Thanks Don1....when I get my new computer I will definitely listen to it. At the momnet, my "ought to be on Antiques Roadshow" of a laptop is so crud  and has speakers that an ants earphones would laugh at, is so crap that I daren't. I should have a new PC in ten days and then I will enjoy the answer that is revealed on the other side of that gorgeous sexy link !!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 12/02/2009 13:33:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums