The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What would happen if the Ottoman Empire returned?  (Read 11206 times)

MDriver1981

Scientifically speaking, what would happen if the Ottoman Empire re-emerged?  

[MOD EDIT - Please, pretty please, can you phrase your post titles as questions, which is our forum policy. THank you.]
« Last Edit: 12/02/2009 08:29:12 by chris »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: What would happen if the Ottoman Empire returned?
« Reply #1 on: 12/02/2009 06:39:13 »
We get Turkish periodic tables. Or do they exist already?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/02/2009 06:43:56 »
Why don't you have a read of Science and Technology in the Ottoman Empire and tell me what YOU think will happen? :)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #3 on: 12/02/2009 08:20:36 »
Science would come out of this;

Available from Littlewoods. Other mail order catalogues available.

Offline NobodySavedMe

• View Profile
What would happen if the Ottoman Empire returned?
« Reply #4 on: 12/02/2009 14:06:26 »
Scientifically speaking, what would happen if the Ottoman Empire re-emerged? 

[MOD EDIT - Please, pretty please, can you phrase your post titles as questions, which is our forum policy. THank you.]

The idea is impossible.

They are primitive and have zero technolological capability.lol was intended.

Arabs pride themselves on having invented the numeral zero 300 years ago and since then have gone on to continue to invent zero since  as they have Islam as albatross around their neck which promises INSHALLAH everything.

Inshallah means:- This means "God Willing".

This translates to let us sit on our collective butts,waiting for handouts from the west whom we hate,and God will give what we want when he decides in his mysterious way to recognize our devotion(TRANSLATION excuse for laziness to him).

This god dependency culture has made the muslim world the most backward and the chances of a ottoman empire is zero.

Think about it.

The Middle East is very socially and technologically backward.They need Americans to operate the complex machines which they don't understand.

They need to have millions of western workers to operate them.

They have been defeated 6 times by a very small country called Isreal.

There is more chance of snow in hell then a Ottoman Empire.

The chances of a ottoman empire is zero.

Exactly zero.
« Last Edit: 12/02/2009 14:09:39 by NobodySavedMe »

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12/02/2009 14:23:41 »
They are primitive and have zero technolological capability.

Arabs pride themselves on having invented the numeral zero 300 years ago and since then have gone on to continue to invent zero since  as they have Islam as albatross around their neck which promises INSHALLAH everything.

This translates to let us sit on our collective butts,waiting for handouts from the west whom we hate,and God will give what we want when he decides in his mysterious way to recognize our devotion(TRANSLATION excuse for laziness to him).

This god dependency culture has made the muslim world the most backward and the chances of a ottoman empire is zero.

Think about it.

The Middle East is very socially and technologically backward.They need Americans to operate the complex machines which they don't understand.

Exactly zero.

Overstepping the mark there, perhaps? Showing ones true feelings, perhaps? Getting a bit hot under the collar? The question was hypothetical and asks about science. Science is supposed to be unbiased, and should not be swayed by personal judgement. But of course, this answer isn't scientific, so doesn't fall under those rules, hey?

Offline NobodySavedMe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23/02/2009 11:31:21 »
They are primitive and have zero technolological capability.

Think about it.

Exactly zero.

Overstepping the mark there, perhaps? Showing ones true feelings, perhaps? Getting a bit hot under the collar? The question was hypothetical and asks about science. Science is supposed to be unbiased, and should not be swayed by personal judgement. But of course, this answer isn't scientific, so doesn't fall under those rules, hey?

Feelings?

What feelings.Expressing the truth is not feelings.

Science is full of bias.Why do you think one theory is chosen over another.Scientists are not wound up logical robots.They are just human beings capable of every vice a non-scientist is.You need to read to read science history books and you will scientists are full of personal judgements and launch nasty and vicious attacks against each other.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23/02/2009 11:53:59 »
What is today Turkey was at the heart of the Ottoman empire and has a number of fairly high-tech industries. They are quite strong in wireless technologies, for example.

People in Turkey are about as religious as the USA and some even have some similar wacky ideas, though not quite as daft as creationism. Turkey is officially a secular state. About 25% people attend a Mosque regularly compared with between 21% and 40% of Americans (the figures are open to dispute) who attend church regularly. However 98% of Turks believe in a God compared to 73% of Americans (a further 16% were not sure).

I don't think there is likely to be a return of the Ottoman empire any time soon though.

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Fortunately still only a game
« Reply #8 on: 25/02/2009 19:28:21 »

Exactly zero.

I thought nothing can have a chance of exactly zero?

lyner

« Reply #9 on: 25/02/2009 22:06:09 »
NSM
I would say that your over-cooked comments about the disadvantages of Islam could equally apply to a lot of Western fundamentalist 'red-neck' groups just as much. There is really no need to be quite as offensive and over-simplistic. You lose the moral argument that way.

Offline NobodySavedMe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27/02/2009 00:37:44 »
NSM
I would say that your over-cooked comments about the disadvantages of Islam could equally apply to a lot of Western fundamentalist 'red-neck' groups just as much. There is really no need to be quite as offensive and over-simplistic. You lose the moral argument that way.

The truth is the truth.

Islam fosters a god dependence culture.This is why every muslim country is backward and always begging for money.I don't believe a single self dependent muslim country exists.

People just sit around waiting for handouts,encouraged by their priests and despot and corrupt government's waiting for god to hand it to them on a plate.

Then they want death to the west.This is a great injustice to us.

We seek, we advance, we push back the boundaries of ignorance,we are the only ones who have the capacity to advance without pause or fear.

All their technology is loaned from the west.It was America that has driven all technological advancement and endeavour.

As i said before they have invented zero since inventing zero, a very long time ago.
« Last Edit: 27/02/2009 01:09:26 by NobodySavedMe »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27/02/2009 03:21:40 »
We seek, we advance, we push back the boundaries of ignorance,we are the only ones who have the capacity to advance without pause or fear.

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Fortunately still only a game
« Reply #12 on: 27/02/2009 12:45:00 »

All too often America advances without thinking a whole lot either. It remains to be seen if the American empire will prevail. The feelings of entitlement, refusal to work hard, and refusal to read the writing on the walls can be found everywhere here. And one can certainly argue that much of what has been invented by Americans results in waste of energy and resources at incredible levels, has not brought progress, and cannot be considered sustainable.

lyner

« Reply #13 on: 27/02/2009 15:26:18 »
I don't think 'America' (do you mean the USA?) has a lot to shout about at the moment. They have impressed their influence on the Middle East for nothing but monetary gain from oil. They are still in the middle of an unforgivable and unjustifiable military involvement there and they have used their wealth to maintain an artificial situation in the region for decades.
NSM:
It was America that has driven all technological advancement and endeavour.
That remark just about says it all. Are you not aware of any of the work that has been going on in Europe, Asia and elsewhere for hundreds of years? The USA has been extremely fortunate to have so many natural resources (Oil, in particluar) and to have been wealthy enough to do more or less what it wants. But is it really the utopian dream for its own poorer and less privileged classes?

Haven't we all just seen the levels of corruption in the US financial sector?
I think a more balanced view is called for before you just knock 'those Moslems'.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27/02/2009 15:59:03 »
For NSM's benefit, would someone care to list American inventions of last 50 years? Or even 100 years? It won't take long because it will be a fairly short list.

lyner

« Reply #15 on: 27/02/2009 20:16:58 »
Burgers, Naff Whiskey, Waffles, KKK, . . . . .?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27/02/2009 20:23:40 »
Burgers - More than 100 years ago.
Naff whisky - Again, more than 100 years ago.
Waffles - Have been made in Europe since the Middle Ages.
KKK - Surely just another manifestation of rascism and that has been around since who knows when.
« Last Edit: 27/02/2009 20:26:48 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27/02/2009 23:03:05 »
When did Mr Ford do his thing?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27/02/2009 23:16:09 »
Which thing would that be? Are you suggesting he invented something?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27/02/2009 23:18:56 »
I don't know. I really don't. That is why I am asking :)
Maybe I have been brainwashed.... ::)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27/02/2009 23:38:42 »
Quite possible

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27/02/2009 23:45:16 »
So you're saying that he didn't invent anything?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28/02/2009 09:07:14 »
Not as far as I'm aware

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28/02/2009 09:24:00 »
So who invented the thing parked in the garage?

lyner

« Reply #24 on: 28/02/2009 11:03:19 »
Daimler, Benz, Peugeot, Lanchester. . .

Ford was a manufacturer and, it must be said, developed the Production Line technique.
OK, NASA have developed their share but Von Braun was at the start of it. Then there was Albert. and all his mates came over from Europe for you to claim as American Inventors.

US have their share of inventions but get it in proportion."All technological advancement"? I don't think so.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 28/02/2009 11:03:19 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums