Author Topic: Tears  (Read 16025 times)

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Tears
« Reply #25 on: 06/07/2003 14:13:08 »
It's interesting that animals recognise that eye contact with a person is analogous to eye contact with one of their own kind. In other words, animals know what eyes are and do ?!

More interesting is the issue of self-recognition or "self-consciousness". Psychologists have long-delighted in sitting babies of different ages in front of mirrors and then painting a big red mark on their heads. Initially they do not realise that the mark is on them but assume that the baby in the glass is another baby unrelated to them.

Dogs likewise do not seem to recognise themselves. The can recognise the image of a dog, but they do not identify their reflection as their own.

To my knowledge only higher apes seem to share our ability to recognise ourselves in a mirror. I'm not sure about marine creatures like dolphins though...interesting question. Anyone know ?

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07/07/2003 05:23:09 »
It's interesting to explore the differences and the similarities between humans and animals. I've known many people that avoid eye contact and animals that look you right in the eye. I've always wondered about the dog humping thing. When I hump someones leg it has nothing to do with dominance.:) Why would a dog hump an inanimate object, such as a pillow or a teddy bear?

My son was born with a "strawberry hemosomething" on his forehead. It looked like a cherry on top of his head. It went away after he was 2 and when he saw a picture of himself with it, he asked who that baby was. He freaked out when he realized it was him and wondered why he didn't have it anymore. Now, he has made reference to when he was a baby in a way that almost sounds like he was another child. I wonder if that had anything to do with his strawberry. I've never heard of the red paint experiments, but venture to say that Ian's response to his strawberry may be a related issue.

Just a thought.

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07/07/2003 05:26:12 »
To quote Donnah and totally take it out of conext..."I talk to him/her quietly, stroking the neck on one side and then move to the other side and do the same thing.  I also breathe through my nose close to the horse's nose and the horse usually does the same thing back.  They are a more relaxed mount after that."

I wonder if this would work in dating? [:p]

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: 07/07/2003 05:29:24 by Ians Daddy »

Offline pat

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07/07/2003 09:51:33 »
You intend to date a horse ? People go to prison for that sort of thing. That said, many man would say they already do.

Pat

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07/07/2003 09:55:14 »
OOPS. I meant to delete the horse part from that. hahaha

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 09/07/2003 00:23:27 »
Good one Pat!

I've heard many a man bragging that they are...like a horse.  I think it has the opposite effect to what they are hoping for; rather than mounting, I walk....away.
« Last Edit: 09/07/2003 00:24:10 by Donnah »

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 10/07/2003 22:18:35 »
Chris, what kind of dog do you and Sarah have?

« Last Edit: 10/07/2003 22:33:59 by Donnah »

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 11/07/2003 07:36:37 »
Back to the tears issue with a question for Chris.  Since tears have antibiotic in them, can you ever culture bacteria or viruses in tears?  And when you get conjunctivitis, is that bacterial or viral?  And if so, then why don't your tears cure the problem?  Do the lacrimal glands ever get infections such that the tears themselves actually become contaminated?

Bezoar

Offline nilmot

• The Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11/07/2003 22:02:19 »
That's a good point. Our bodies' immune system, well lymphocytes memorise the antigen of foreign bodies. If we get things like conjunctivitis why don't our tears produce antibodies to fight off the bacteria/virus if we got it before?

Tom

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #33 on: 11/07/2003 22:02:19 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums