The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: If atoms are moving at the speed of light, can the material get any hotter?  (Read 1527 times)

mdubois82

mdubois82  asked the Naked Scientists:

I love your show..

You have stated that while there is a maximum cold theoretically there is no maximum heat because heat is the movement of the particles or atoms I forget.  

But if, as you say, it can always be hotter if they move faster then wouldn't the maximum heat be reached when the particles or atoms reach the speed of light or the maximum speed?

What do you think?

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
mdubois82  asked the Naked Scientists:

I love your show..

You have stated that while there is a maximum cold theoretically there is no maximum heat because heat is the movement of the particles or atoms I forget. 

But if, as you say, it can always be hotter if they move faster then wouldn't the maximum heat be reached when the particles or atoms reach the speed of light or the maximum speed?

What do you think?
A particle's (with non-zero mass) kinetic energy becomes infinite  at light speed. Temperature is proportional to the average kinetic energy of the body's particles --> T goes to infinite when at least one particle of the body (made of a finite number of particles) travels at light speed.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums