The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Have I Got A Virus ? (see post for details)  (Read 7769 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Have I Got A Virus ? (see post for details)
« on: 13/02/2009 15:21:42 »
Dear Peeps,

Yesterday, for the second time in as many weeks something strange happened to my crapo laptopo....

First it slowed down (which isn't too hard as comatose snails already overtake it !)

and then.....as i typed the letters would appear like this:

"siht ekil raeppa dluow srettel eht depyt i s
a"

seriously...no joke !!!.....the only way to fix it was to reboot !

is there a nasty bug in my software or did I happen to do some crazy keystroke that activates backward typing ?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13/02/2009 18:50:05 »
I think it's a keyboard thing rather than a virus ...

Alt - A =   backward-sentence
http://www.lugaru.com/epskeys.html

From this page "Esc - a" can also reverse a sentence.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/02/2009 21:26:55 »
Wow...I never knew about that.....Nice information RD.

Thanks for Having the lap top problem Neil...

I have struggled writing backwards just for the heck of it... now I can do it with the simple touches of the keyboard on a whole senctence!
Lol....very cool!

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/02/2009 23:02:25 »
Alt - A =   backward-sentence
http://www.lugaru.com/epskeys.html
Why doesn't it work when I do it?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/02/2009 01:29:30 »
I can't get it to work too !!

!!   pleh

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14/02/2009 04:01:41 »
I've got my backwards's confused  ...

M-a = Move back to the beginning of the sentence (backward-sentence).
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/emacs.pdf

So alt-a or esc-a moves the cursor backwards in some programmes, not reversing characters in the sentence.

If for some reason you want to write backwards there are websites which do this e.g. ...
http://www.awestyproductions.com/tutorials/flash-tutorials/reverse-a-string-and-reverse-each-word-in-a-string-with-actionscript/

ekatsim ym rof yrros
« Last Edit: 14/02/2009 04:06:55 by RD »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14/02/2009 04:11:03 »
Hi there boys!

I could not get it to work either.. LOL

Thanks for the correction...

No problem.. RD!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16/02/2009 13:27:48 »
I've got my backwards's confused  ...

M-a = Move back to the beginning of the sentence (backward-sentence).
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/emacs.pdf

So alt-a or esc-a moves the cursor backwards in some programmes, not reversing characters in the sentence.

If for some reason you want to write backwards there are websites which do this e.g. ...
http://www.awestyproductions.com/tutorials/flash-tutorials/reverse-a-string-and-reverse-each-word-in-a-string-with-actionscript/

ekatsim ym rof yrros

Thanks RD..I wonder if I then do have some kind of virus thingy !!

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16/02/2009 15:12:44 »
A dodgey home key may be the cause ... http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-35446-involuntary-backwards-writing

If you hit the home key after typing each letter the result is backwards writing.
So an intermittent short circuit on a well-used keyboard could be the cause.

USB Add-on keyboards are available for less than a tenner,
 so are a cheap (but not a very portable) solution for a "crappo" laptop keyboard.
« Last Edit: 16/02/2009 15:21:09 by RD »

Offline yor_on

• (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24/02/2009 14:22:12 »
Neil, I like that computer:)
It's starting to try to communicate with you. I would be proud to call it my friend...
And reading you first I tried my best to get that cool effect, I saw how it would 'light up' office environments and give me that 'instant fame' with the fairer S&6 (f*k that Porsche:)..

So now I'm deeply disappointed RD, but it was still cool reading :)
And yes, I would guess that someone is playing tricks on you Neil.
But I wouldn't worry if so, they seem to have the same taste for 'pranks' that you have yourself:)

I think that when they at http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-35446-involuntary-backwards-writing called it 'backwards writing' they meant it like this... this like it meant they...

This sound like some simple but fun :) program collecting each world until you hit 'space' then reversing the input (keys) from your keyboard and sending them to your screen, and whatever you're 'writing' on.

We go to all kinds of places on the Internet, and at times we are lazy and just hit that 'ok' when asked, and that's that:)
So either I think someone have 'loaded it' directly on your computer to 'prank' you. or you yourself have gotten it from somewhere. You need a good anti virus program (freeware) not American. All American anti virus programs, according to some sources I used to have, have a 'backdoor' in case of, ah, difficulties (NSA)?
Now you don't have to believe this, but if you get a European one this problem won't be, if it's correct.

Myself I'm using http://www.free-av.de/
And then a 'free ware' firewall Zonealarm. You don't need to buy it, it's enough to use its free parts.
Close also 'automatic updates' let it tell you instead, and check first what it downloads. You will see if it is something you need. Myself I don't want them, nobody can get into my computer as I've set it up, as long as they don't have physical access to it.
Then you close this idiotic "remote assistance" and "Remote Desktop Connection" as that is a free way into your computer.
And if you look in your 'properties' for your 'connection to your local network' you will find 'file and printer sharing for microsoft networks' make sure that this 'box' is empty (not checked).

That should give you a rather stable computer, at least on a XP pro. I don't really trust the stability of Vista yet. I'm sloow:) And I don't see why a operative system needs to be ten GB? (XP pro is around one GB)
If you want the graphical 'lull lull' they use to make Vista look more 'new' then goggle for it, it exists for the XP too, and it's free. And your new computer should come with the possibility to use XP instead. That will give you a much more stable and faster computer, especcially if you have a laptop.

You could also try Linux, but if your laptop is too 'new' there might be hardware drivers missing.
I use both, but I'm quite satisfied with my XP.
Oh, close the fire wall that's 'built in' after installing Zone alarm, you don't need two.
There is also something called IPSEC in windows that are quite advanced, but that you don't really need to configure, if you're not like me that is:)

My computer will 'only' be mine, nobody else invited in it.
If you use a 'router' for getting out you should read the manual for it, there will be a firewall somewhere in it, learn how to use it.

As for Nat that is a way for your router to bypass the 'unique ip-number' setting for each 'device' (that once was a innocent idea when the Net was new, and you sort of thought that it was people you connected to, not NSA or crackers etc etc)
Such a router will use just one IP-number, and for each 'machine' using that number to get 'out' it will instead assign a 'port number' that is unique for that machine. That way nobody from the 'outside' will know what machine it is speaking too, as there is only one IP-number connecting your machines to the Internet.
Also it will protect you even if you only have one machine as the IP-number only goes to the router, not to your computer, that's where the routers port-number threads in (takes over:)
Originally a solution to the problems with IPV4 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4 that had to few IP numbers.

Good Luck.

--------
But, if you're really worried, you need to make a clean (new OS) install, then fix it up with antivirus and firewall, check your routers firewall, and, do fix those other points I talked about in your new Windows. You can always back up your old OS on DVD:s before doing this, if you need to save stuff. Then when you load back those DVD:s your new OS that's not compromised will warn you if you had viruses on your DVD:S (Old OS)
---

It's always best to fix a clean and safe environment before trying those old files..
« Last Edit: 24/02/2009 16:50:33 by yor_on »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25/02/2009 13:27:50 »

Neil, I like that computer:)

Than ewe yor_on, I like it too and I think it likes you also ! ;D

It's starting to try to communicate with you. I would be proud to call it my friend...

Please feel free to call it so, It needs a friend !

And reading you first I tried my best to get that cool effect, I saw how it would 'light up' office environments and give me that 'instant fame' with the fairer S&6 (f*k that Porsche:)..

So now I'm deeply disappointed RD, but it was still cool reading :)
And yes, I would guess that someone is playing tricks on you Neil.
But I wouldn't worry if so, they seem to have the same taste for 'pranks' that you have yourself:)

Grrrr !!...who is playing nasty tricks with sweet Innocent little old me !! ?

We go to all kinds of places on the Internet, and at times we are lazy and just hit that 'ok' when asked, and that's that:)
So either I think someone have 'loaded it' directly on your computer to 'prank' you. or you yourself have gotten it from somewhere. You need a good anti virus program (freeware) not American. All American anti virus programs, according to some sources I used to have, have a 'backdoor' in case of, ah, difficulties (NSA)?
Now you don't have to believe this, but if you get a European one this problem won't be, if it's correct.

You're right yor_on, I luff to click the Ok button too..I just luff it !!

Myself I'm using http://www.free-av.de/
And then a 'free ware' firewall Zonealarm. You don't need to buy it, it's enough to use its free parts.
Close also 'automatic updates' let it tell you instead, and check first what it downloads. You will see if it is something you need. Myself I don't want them, nobody can get into my computer as I've set it up, as long as they don't have physical access to it.
Then you close this idiotic "remote assistance" and "Remote Desktop Connection" as that is a free way into your computer.
And if you look in your 'properties' for your 'connection to your local network' you will find 'file and printer sharing for microsoft networks' make sure that this 'box' is empty (not checked).

Brill, I will do this ....I want my computer for me...just me...and it's nerw friend ewe !

I have in fact disabled Zonelalarm as I believe it was causing a conflict with the firewall built into my router so I just use that now. I have also disabled Windows firewall...do ewe think this is ok ?

That should give you a rather stable computer, at least on a XP pro. I don't really trust the stability of Vista yet. I'm sloow:) And I don't see why a operative system needs to be ten GB? (XP pro is around one GB)
If you want the graphical 'lull lull' they use to make Vista look more 'new' then goggle for it, it exists for the XP too, and it's free. And your new computer should come with the possibility to use XP instead. That will give you a much more stable and faster computer, especially if you have a laptop

Vista came with this new super puter and to change the operating system for me would be very daunting...I know....ewe come over here yes and make even better friends with my PC ....bring your computer too and they can also be chums !  ;)

You could also try Linux, but if your laptop is too 'new' there might be hardware drivers missing.
I use both, but I'm quite satisfied with my XP.
Oh, close the fire wall that's 'built in' after installing Zone alarm, you don't need two.
There is also something called IPSEC in windows that are quite advanced, but that you don't really need to configure, if you're not like me that is:)
My computer will 'only' be mine, nobody else invited in it.
If you use a 'router' for getting out you should read the manual for it, there will be a firewall somewhere in it, learn how to use it.

Excellent, this is what I have referred to above...ewe are very wise yor_on !

As for Nat that is a way for your router to bypass the 'unique ip-number' setting for each 'device' (that once was a innocent idea when the Net was new, and you sort of thought that it was people you connected to, not NSA or crackers etc etc)
Such a router will use just one IP-number, and for each 'machine' using that number to get 'out' it will instead assign a 'port number' that is unique for that machine. That way nobody from the 'outside' will know what machine it is speaking too, as there is only one IP-number connecting your machines to the Internet.
Also it will protect you even if you only have one machine as the IP-number only goes to the router, not to your computer, that's where the routers port-number threads in (takes over:)
Originally a solution to the problems with IPV4 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4 that had to few IP numbers.

Good Luck.

Thank ewe for your help and assistance and advice...what a swell friendly person ewe are !  :)

--------
But, if you're really worried, you need to make a clean (new OS) install, then fix it up with antivirus and firewall, check your routers firewall, and, do fix those other points I talked about in your new Windows. You can always back up your old OS on DVD:s before doing this, if you need to save stuff. Then when you load back those DVD:s your new OS that's not compromised will warn you if you had viruses on your DVD:S (Old OS)
---

It's always best to fix a clean and safe environment before trying those old files..

Wonderful !!..THANK EWE again..I am sure I will get things working !

Hugs the Yor_on !!

Offline yor_on

• (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01/03/2009 11:51:00 »
Hmm, can't help but become slightly suspicious here:)

Maybe disabling those fire walls is a good thing you know.
It sure will help your computers communication tremendously.
And another thing, thinking here.... Thinking again ....
Yep.... Just disable that anti virus too ....

It only complains after all is said and done, and who would want a whinnying computer?
Or was it whining?

And now your computer really can make itself heard on the Internet.
Well,aah aha, it is, isn't it? A much more adventurous advice.

As the legend goes.
'Who wants to live forever'?

Cheers and good health to us all:)
« Last Edit: 01/03/2009 11:56:54 by yor_on »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 01/03/2009 11:51:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums