The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is now in the place where the Big Bang started?  (Read 2893 times)

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
Following the Big Bang, everything is traveling away from a central point. Does this mean that the point of origin of the universe now has no matter anywhere near it? Is 'the universe and everything' like an hollow ball with all the matter on the outside and nothing left in the middle? Would it be theoretically possible to find the point of origin and place one of those historical plaques there saying 'The universe was born here'?

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
What is now in the place where the Big Bang started?
« Reply #1 on: 13/02/2009 19:33:53 »
I know of no way to find it but its inertial frame might be that of the CMBR. That would just be speculation, but there might be a way to logically get to that notion.

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/02/2009 22:08:16 »
Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation?

I know that CMBR is associated with the Big Bang theory. When the universe was young enough and small enough that the stars and planets hadn't yet formed, it was filled with a red-hot fog of hydrogen plasma. As the universe expanded, the plasma and the radiation filling it were spread over a larger volume and it grew cooler enabling stable atoms to form. The photons that were left around at that time have been propagating ever since, though growing fainter and less energetic since they are filling a larger and larger universe. This is the source of CMBR.

However, I always assumed that CMBR is a form of electromagnetic radiation and travels at the speed of light, and might also vacate the space that would have previously been the origin of the universe.

Offline justaskin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/02/2009 01:52:01 »
You could check this out.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/centre.html

This would tend to indicate that were ever you are is the centre of the universe from your perspective.

Cheers
justaskin

Offline swansont

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/02/2009 16:31:44 »
Following the Big Bang, everything is traveling away from a central point.

A common misconception.  The short answer is that the big bang happened everywhere.

http://www.sciam.com/media/inline/0009F0CA-C523-1213-852383414B7F0147_p39.gif

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14/02/2009 17:56:46 »
Hi justaskin

Thanks. I'll certainly check that out.

Hi Swansont

Now that you mention it, I have just remembered something in Stephen Hawkin's 'A Brief History of Time'. He said that the galaxies are travelling apart much like the currents in a currant bun while it is being cooked. He said the currants all spread apart as the bun expands but they always remain evenly distributed throughout. Actually, if I'd remembered that at the beginning I wouldn't have needed to ask the original question!!! Does that fit in with your model of what happened after the Big Bang?

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14/02/2009 19:59:07 »
Following the Big Bang, everything is traveling away from a central point. Does this mean that the point of origin of the universe now has no matter anywhere near it? Is 'the universe and everything' like an hollow ball with all the matter on the outside and nothing left in the middle? Would it be theoretically possible to find the point of origin and place one of those historical plaques there saying 'The universe was born here'?

Yes, the universe was born here. I mean, just here, where I am (and where you are, or in any other place you prefer). Romantic, isnt'it? But it's true.

The reason is the universe wasn't born "in" the space but "with" the space.
« Last Edit: 14/02/2009 20:01:01 by lightarrow »

Offline swansont

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15/02/2009 15:39:01 »
Hi Swansont

Now that you mention it, I have just remembered something in Stephen Hawkin's 'A Brief History of Time'. He said that the galaxies are travelling apart much like the currents in a currant bun while it is being cooked. He said the currants all spread apart as the bun expands but they always remain evenly distributed throughout. Actually, if I'd remembered that at the beginning I wouldn't have needed to ask the original question!!! Does that fit in with your model of what happened after the Big Bang?

That, and related analogies, are standard descriptions of the expansion.  Another is dots on a balloon, which attempts to eliminate the issue of having an edge, which sometimes confuses the explanation.

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15/02/2009 18:17:52 »
Thanks guys. That's hit the nail on the head. Good explanations and great analogies - I now have a perfect layman's understanding of the situation. Job well done!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 15/02/2009 18:17:52 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length