The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Who were the first people to start measuring time?  (Read 13915 times)

Offline wally burger

• First timers
    • View Profile
who were the first people to start measuring time when and why?

Mod Edit - Formatted the subject as a question - please do this to help keep the forum tidy and easy to navigate - thanks
« Last Edit: 16/02/2009 09:11:32 by BenV »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Who were the first people to start measuring time?
« Reply #1 on: 15/02/2009 03:44:27 »
Is this for your history homework? :)

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/02/2009 03:47:28 »
Artifacts from the Palaeolithic suggest that the moon was used to calculate time as early as 12,000, and possibly even 30,000 BP.

The Sumerian civilization of approximately 2000 BC introduced the sexagesimal system based on the number 60. 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour and possibly a calendar with 360 (60x6) days in a year (with a few more days added on). Twelve also features prominently, with roughly 12 hours of day and 12 of night, and 12 months in a year (with 12 being 1/5 of 60).

The reforms of Julius Caesar in 45 BC put the Roman world on a solar calendar. This Julian calendar was faulty in that its intercalation still allowed the astronomical solstices and equinoxes to advance against it by about 11 minutes per year. Pope Gregory XIII introduced a correction in 1582; the Gregorian calendar was only slowly adopted by different nations over a period of centuries, but is today the one in most common use around the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time#History_of_the_calendar

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15/02/2009 03:48:51 »
A large variety of devices have been invented to measure time. The study of these devices is called horology.

An Egyptian device dating to c.1500 BC, similar in shape to a bent T-square, measured the passage of time from the shadow cast by its crossbar on a non-linear rule. The T was oriented eastward in the mornings. At noon, the device was turned around so that it could cast its shadow in the evening direction.

A sundial uses a gnomon to cast a shadow on a set of markings which were calibrated to the hour. The position of the shadow marked the hour in local time.

The most precise timekeeping devices of the ancient world were the water clock or clepsydra, one of which was found in the tomb of Egyptian pharaoh Amenhotep I (15251504 BC). They could be used to measure the hours even at night, but required manual timekeeping to replenish the flow of water. The Greeks and Chaldeans regularly maintained timekeeping records as an essential part of their astronomical observations. Arab inventors and engineers in particular made improvements on the use of water clocks up to the Middle Ages.

Theres plenty more where that came from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time#History_of_time_measurement_devices

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15/02/2009 03:56:25 »
Jeez, the things I do for you people! ;D

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15/02/2009 11:50:57 »
I wonder if we should charge a fee for doing peoples homework for them :P

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15/02/2009 12:21:40 »
Maybe the forum could do with a 'homework' section.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16/02/2009 04:47:58 »
And usually when you do post a question, you should come back and see if it is answered.  However it appears that our friend wally burger has not come back today (yet). 

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16/02/2009 08:38:05 »
Aaaannnd.... he's still not been back.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Who were the first people to start measuring time?
« Reply #10 on: 16/02/2009 12:06:51 »
I would think the first people to be concerned with time to the extent that they needed to recognise it would have been the first non-nomadic humans who needed to know when best to plant seeds.

What a shame our railways haven't cottoned on to this idea yet!!!

Aaaannnd.... he's still not been back.

Perhaps Wally Burger is busy chomping on another burger, or was late with his homework anyway and is on detention. Do they still get detention these days?

lyner

« Reply #11 on: 16/02/2009 17:55:26 »
With
Maybe the forum could do with a 'homework' section.

With "Copy to Mr Jackson, the Science teacher"? automatically generated?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18/02/2009 04:11:51 »
This is ludicrous, he still hasn't been back!   

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #13 on: 18/02/2009 09:23:45 »
Perhaps they don't give detention in his school, maybe they shoot offenders.

Teacher - "Where's your homework laddie? Not done eh!"
Pupil - "Please Sir....."
Teacher - "No excuses laddie...... Stand up against that wall."
Head Teacher - "Squaaaad, squad atteeeen - shun! Take aim, FIRE."

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18/02/2009 09:31:06 »
R.I.P wally burger :(

I hardly knew you.... *sob* *sniffles*

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18/02/2009 10:53:21 »
Courtesy of Rowan Atkinson

Rowan Atkinson: FATAL BEATINGS

Headmaster: Well now, Mr. Perkins. It was good of you to come in. I realise that you're a busy man, but I didn't think this matter could be discussed over the electric telephone.

Mr Perkins: No. No, absolutely, Headmaster, I mean, if Tommy is in some sort of trouble, then I'd like to nip it in the bud.

Headmaster: Well, quite frankly, Tommy is in trouble. Recently his behaviour has left a great deal to be desired.

Mr Perkins: Dear.

Headmaster: He seems to take no interest in school life whatsoever.  He refuses to muck in at the sports field. And it's weeks since any master has received any written work from him.

Mr Perkins: Oh, dear me.

Headmaster: Quite frankly, Mr Perkins, if he wasn't dead, I'd have him expelled.

Mr Perkins: I beg your pardon?

Headmaster: Yes, EXPELLED! If I wasn't making allowances for the fact that your son is dead, he'd be out on his ear!

Mr Perkins: You mean he's dead?

Headmaster: Yes... He's lying up there in sick bay now, stiff as a board and bright green, and this is, I fear, typical of his current attitude. You see, the boy has no sense of moderation: one moment he's flying around like a paper kite, and the next moment he's completely immovable. And beginning to smell.

Mr Perkins: Well, how did he die?!

Headmaster: Well, is that important?

Mr Perkins: Why, yes, I think so!

Headmaster: Well... Well... Well, it's all got to do with the library, you see. We've had   a lot of trouble recently with boys taking out library books without library cards. Your son was caught, and I administered a beating, during which he died. But you'll be glad to know... You'll be glad to know that the ringleader was caught, so I don't think we'll be having any trouble with library discipline. You see, the library card system...

Mr Perkins: I'm sorry...

Headmaster: ...was...

Mr Perkins: You beat my son to death?

Headmaster: Yes, yes, so it would seem. Please, I'm not used to being interrupted. You see, the library card system was introduced...

Mr Perkins: Well, exactly what happened?

Headmaster: Well, apparently, boys were just slipping into the library and taking the books!

Mr Perkins: No, during the beating!

Headmaster: Oh, that? Well...well, one moment he was bending over, the next moment he was lying down, I mean, er...

Mr Perkins: Dead?

Headmaster: Mmm... deadish! ... Mr.Perkins, I find this morbid fascination with your son's death quite disturbing. What I'm talking about is his attitude! And quite frankly, I can see where he gets it from.

Mr Perkins: Well, it wasn't me that beat my son to death!

Headmaster: Well, that was perfectly obvious to me from the first day he arrived here. I wondered then, as I wonder now, if he might not have turned out a very different boy indeed if you had administrated a few fatal beatings earlier.

Mr Perkins: Are you mad!?

Headmaster: I'm FURIOUS! In order to accommodate the funeral, I had to cancel afternoon school on Wednesday!

Mr Perkins: This is preposterous!

Headmaster: Yes, it is. Or at least, it would be...if it were true.

Mr Perkins: ...What?

Headmaster: I've been joking, Mr Perkins. Pardon me, it's my strange academic sense of humour. I've been pulling your leg.

Mr Perkins: Oh, thank God!

Headmaster: I wouldn't cancel afternoon school to bury that little sh1t!

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #16 on: 18/02/2009 11:10:16 »
Nice one JnA, a pleasure reading that again.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #16 on: 18/02/2009 11:10:16 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums