The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What kind of music are you all into?  (Read 36158 times)

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
What kind of music are you all into?
« on: 30/05/2003 12:32:11 »
Just wondering what kinds/who people like listening to...

I have a wide taste in music although i have my particular favourites!

I listen to various rock music and love The Doves and definately Feeder, also a big U2 fan. I HATE BUSTED!

My main love lies in chilled alternative music, My favourite groups are in no particular order...

Orbital - My Favourite
Groove Armada
Air
The Orb
Lemon Jelly

Awesome!

Resident Tour Operator - The Naked Scientists

Offline cuso4

• Angel Delight
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of music are you all into?
« Reply #1 on: 30/05/2003 12:40:53 »
I like a bit of classical from time to time but normally I just listen to pop. Robbie Williams' songs are quite good.

Angel

Offline nilmot

• The Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30/05/2003 19:09:55 »
Don't have one really, I've studied music and now became more open to different styles of music and from different cultures as well. But I really cannot listen to heavy rock metal thing music they do my head in.
Certain classical and minimalist music is very good.

U2 they write some great songs.:)

Tom

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31/05/2003 01:18:05 »
I love music and dance.  Some favorites....

Orb
Moby
Loreena McKennitt
Enya
Enigma
Gerry Alfred and the Medicine Beat
Sacred Spirit
Dead Can Dance
Christine Lavin (she's a very funny lady)
Afro Celt Sound System
Sheila Chandra
Jessie Cook
Ottmar Liebert
Maureen McGovern
Amanda McBroom
Lisa Girard
Gabrielle Roth and the Mirrors
Urban Tribe

Okay, so really there's not too many styles of music that I don't like, but am really fond of stuff I can dance to.  With Ecstatic Dance (Gabrielle Roth) you don't need a partner (although it's nice sometimes).

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01/06/2003 02:37:26 »
I don't listen to music very often. I hate what my sisters listen to (heavy metal and pop).

My dad loves folk music though, I like listening to what he plays on his guitar.

Am I dead? Am I alive? I'm both!

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #5 on: 28/06/2003 17:23:12 »
Just to let you know - if anyone passing through here had planned to go to the Yes Concert in Hyde Park on July 17th - or any of the other Route of Kings concerts (Blue, Yes, Paul Weller, Simply Red, Roxy Music, Jools Holland) - the promoter has gone bust and the gigs are all cancelled.

Marvellous - the one time I had front row seats for a gig too !

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28/06/2003 20:11:51 »
Crap! do you get your money back?

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29/06/2003 01:16:34 »
That sucks.  We had the same thing happen here 2 years ago but they pulled the plug in the middle of RockFest.  Some friends of mine were in one of the bands and their drummer had flown in from Sweden.  The bands never got paid either.

Offline genegenie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15/08/2003 23:39:34 »
I've got a pretty wide range of music in my collection. I like what I call 'the new classics' Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Stones. In the 80s, I listened to a lot of punk/alternative like Stiff Little Fingers, UK Subs, The Clash. I also love Iggy Pop, Lou Reed and Bowie.

More recently I've been listening to Groove Armada and (shock!) Eminem. I'm also a fan of Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite. There's heaps more but the list would be very long!!! I really love music.

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16/08/2003 13:51:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by genegenie

I've got a pretty wide range of music in my collection. I like what I call 'the new classics' Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Stones. In the 80s, I listened to a lot of punk/alternative like Stiff Little Fingers, UK Subs, The Clash. I also love Iggy Pop, Lou Reed and Bowie.

More recently I've been listening to Groove Armada and (shock!) Eminem. I'm also a fan of Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite. There's heaps more but the list would be very long!!! I really love music.

Start yer list and keep adding to it, welcome to the forum BTW! ;)

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21/04/2004 14:19:55 »
We have a few new regulars here now so i thought i'd bring some of these old topics back to the top! Am listening to other new stuff now like Zero 7 and Thievery Corporation. Quality stuff.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21/04/2004 20:47:53 »
Cripes !!..where shall I start ?.....I love Dance and Ambient Trance, Chillout Music....but my main love is Progressive Rock !!..oh yes indeedy..Emerson lake and Palmer, Yes (seeing them in June at Wembley Arena YAYYYYYY !!!), Focus and loads of others that are too obscure to mention....a bit of classical...Smooth Jazz....too many groups and bands to say them all....and everything inbetween

HATE Country and Western though (someone pleeeeze get me a bucket !!)...sorry to all C & W fans.

Have about 1000 cds

Richard !!..(Air yes ..just bought all their Cd's,)( Groove Armada def yes..At the River ...excellent)...(Lemon Jelly...good stuff !!)[8D][8D]

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'
« Last Edit: 21/04/2004 20:54:12 by neilep »

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21/04/2004 21:27:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep@dsl.pipex.com

Cripes !!..where shall I start ?.....I love Dance and Ambient Trance, Chillout Music....but my main love is Progressive Rock !!..oh yes indeedy..Emerson lake and Palmer, Yes (seeing them in June at Wembley Arena YAYYYYYY !!!), Focus and loads of others that are too obscure to mention....a bit of classical...Smooth Jazz....too many groups and bands to say them all....and everything inbetween

HATE Country and Western though (someone pleeeeze get me a bucket !!)...sorry to all C & W fans.

Have about 1000 cds

Richard !!..(Air yes ..just bought all their Cd's,)( Groove Armada def yes..At the River ...excellent)...(Lemon Jelly...good stuff !!)[8D][8D]

If you are a Yes fan then you'll get on well with us then, especially Chris, he got me into them! We cant go to see them at Wembley this year as we are in Oz which is a shame... I have been to one of their concerts at the Royal Albert Hall and one at Hammersmith! Tis good that old Rick Wakeman is back, he is a LEGEND!

I used to be a trance fan, but its all gone a bit Pete Tong these days(scuse the terrible pun there). Just majorly into chillout. The latest Zero 7 album is damn good, as is the Air one! Orbital have their new album coming out this year which i just can't wait for... oh and Prodigy have a new ablum out this year too!

I would suugest one album which i bought last year that is quality---> The Music by The Music... Is damn good!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21/04/2004 22:13:15 »
The Prodigy ?....FANTASTIC...bought all their cd's a few months ago......thought they had split up.....certainly gonna get that when it's around...and will now order The Music.....

Personally, I think you should cancel your trip to Oz and come to see YES with me !!!

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21/04/2004 23:11:20 »
Here is the review of The Music album if you're interested

http://uk.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=2718912#notes_reviews

You'll have to let us know how the concert is... maybe take a minidisc player and record it! ;)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21/04/2004 23:36:19 »
YAYYY !!!just ordered it from CDWOW.com for 8.99....cheers Richard !!!......with regards to the YES concert I'll take a portable recording studio and mixer shall I ?....to be honest a minidisc recorder will be sh*te !!!(i think you know that by your cheeky wink)...I'll just burn you a few Cd's if you want some album copies !! ....err...not that I would condone copying music on such a reputable site like this.....

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21/04/2004 23:48:11 »
Am just imagining you turning up to wembley with a suitcase full of recording equipment and setting up in the front row!! complete with earphones and directional mikes... hahahaha

I think we have every Yes album there is to have! I tell you  something that is REALLY funny is Weird Al Yankovitch... not sure if you have heard of him but he takes he p*ss out of songs like eminem and the offspring etc... uses the same tune but puts new lyrics in...

:D

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21/04/2004 23:54:45 »
Oh yes....I have a few of his versions of  Michael 'I didn't lay a finger on him' Jacksons videos on my PC right now......well funny.:D

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #18 on: 22/04/2004 00:18:54 »
If you could take an MD with you to Wembley for the Yes concert I'd be eternally grateful. Not that I would ever consider sitting 3 rows back from the stage and recording a rock concert on an MD or anything, but I can personally recommend the Sony ECM-MS907 which has produced very favourable results in the past...

Richard, presumably you are going to see Yes play at Braintree in July, since it's about 3 miles from home ?!

Chris

- Groucho Marx

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22/04/2004 00:45:05 »
http://www.gft-cyclops.co.uk/ and www.cdservices.com are two great resources for Prog rock cd's....espesh GFT...they're very helpful.

To be honest Chris...because of the compression used on a minidisc and from an audiophiles point of view, as a company we very rarely get asked for MD players/recorders...and so I don't actually have one, mind you, I could treat myself to the Sony ECM-MS907 ...hmm..we'll see.....

have you got any of their DVD's Chris and Richard ?.......Symphonic Yes is absolutely fantastic !! House of Blues is brilliant....Keys to Ascension is musically great but horrible picture.........the version of Starhip trooper on the Keys to Ascension CD is the best version I've ever heard....if you haven't got it..get it !!..it's a fantastic recording.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22/04/2004 04:26:55 »
Went to see the Moody Blues  while back.  Shocking to see an audience full of white hairs.

Ohhh Neil, I would LOVE to see ELP live.  I went to a laser light show many moons ago and they played Hoedown....amazing!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22/04/2004 10:47:03 »
Donnah !!..YAYY ..I saw Keith Emerson in concert only a very short while ago.....truly truly amazing..He was with his band The Nice (before ELP) and then in the second half they did all the ELP classics...absolutely blew me away !!!!...I'd never seen them before...too young when they were first around but oh my !!!....sorry to make you green with envy !!!!

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22/04/2004 12:01:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by chris

If you could take an MD with you to Wembley for the Yes concert I'd be eternally grateful. Not that I would ever consider sitting 3 rows back from the stage and recording a rock concert on an MD or anything, but I can personally recommend the Sony ECM-MS907 which has produced very favourable results in the past...

Richard, presumably you are going to see Yes play at Braintree in July, since it's about 3 miles from home ?!

Chris

- Groucho Marx

Won't i be in Australia at that time? i think i will...

And neil... i have a Sony minidisc recorder, a few years old but you could borrow it... i don't have a Mic though.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22/04/2004 19:52:57 »
Yea...right on Rich.....I'll certainly give it a go.....just hope they won't be going through my bag before entry....sometimes they can be real fussy about that !!..but...if you get it to me, I can try and source a Mic and if there's no probs...then the'll be no worries too.

cheers

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #24 on: 23/04/2004 03:25:00 »
Neil

I have a recording of Wembley (1978 - supposedly the farewell concert !) which in my opinion is one of the best versions of Starship Trooper ever played. A friend told me recently that he has acquired an original revox (big tape) recording of that concert made by Yes themselves which they forgot about. It turned up in a cupboard somewhere. I'll have to ask him if he can copy it for me because the quality is likely to be superior to the recording of the live broadcast on radio 1 that I have !

That concert contains the most amazing medley starting with Time and a Word played into Long Distance Runaround which tips into The Fish over which Jon Anderson then sings Survival. This then morphs into Perpetual Change which runs into the second half of Gates of Delirium and finishes with a wonderful rendition of Soon. The slick transitions from one piece into the next are really impressive. It also co-incides with the era when Rick Wakeman used to drink for England and consume curries on stage, which bizarrely is also when he produced his best work - which just goes to show that curry must be good for something.

I went to Union in 1991 - which was an amazing experience (Trevor Rabin was great) - and have a copy of a low quality bootleg made by some Italian company. It serves to keep the memories alive.

Then I went to Hammersmith in 1998 (twice !) and then 2000 in the Royal Albert Hall. I have a recording of the Albert Hall Performance which is good, but not perfect.

However, the version I have from Yes Symphonic December 2001 (Hammersmith) is perfect. To the untrained ear it is indistinguishable from a desk-originating recording. This contains my favourite all time version of Starship Trooper, largely because the bass solo nearly made the auditorium fly apart. It comes across amazingly on the recording, so long as you have speakers that can do it justice. The versions of Gates of Delirium, Ritual (nous sommes du soleil) and Magnification are spot on.

We went to the Hammersmith concert in July 2003 but had poor seats (Tip : never trust your mum to book seats for something on the internet because when offered seats in the stalls 4 rows from the stage she might inadvertently click on "No thanks, I'd rather sit at the back of the dress circle").

The concert also came across as a bit sloppier than normal (there were a few production screw ups and the music wasn't as tight and together as normal). That said there were a few good highlights. One being when Jon Anderson picked up his guitar to play the opening to a song and, finding it was horribly out of tune, sung the note he wanted, tuned the guitar to that note in about 2 seconds flat, and then started the song. I'm not much of a musician so that kind of thing impresses me enormously !

Another nice aspect was at another point in the concert Jon Anderson announced that he recently "found a tape marked '1972' containing a forgotten song". "I've revised it", he said, and then sang it, accompanying himself on a guitar (in tune this time). I don't think that song has ever been released - correct me if I'm wrong - but it was a really great tune and very catchy. The first line started "Show me a man...".

Anyway, enough rambling. Neil, the Sony ECM microphone I mentioned above is what I use for all of my radio interviews. It's not cheap (90 quid in most outlets - obviously less to you !) but that's reflected in the quality and pick up. I use an old Sharp MD for my recordings because it allows me to manually adjust the record levels. This prevents a sudden loud sound from 'quenching' the record level.

One tip - if you do record the concert don't clap or shout yourself !

Chris

- Groucho Marx

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 23/04/2004 03:25:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length