The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What kind of music are you all into?  (Read 36256 times)

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of music are you all into?
« Reply #100 on: 23/06/2004 04:15:01 »
I have a couple of contemporary vocal artists that I'm really enjoying now.  One is Eleanor McEvoy (from Ireland) and the other is Sarah McLachlan (from Canada).  I can't say that either is outstandingly inspirational, but they both have nice voices and sing some interesting music.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 27/06/2004 16:49:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

Did you ever like QUEEN Bren ?...of course they did that excellent 'Under Pressure' with D Bowie....I saw them three times......Freddy was the ultimate showman....he could whip the crowd up into a hysterical frenzy !!

Yes, I enjoyed Queen, I remember it for sure and some twelve year old faces. I enjoy reminicing. I have that song from Queen and DB on a CD, The Best Of Bowie. I wish I had bought more CDs when I was 15...

Freddy was part Indian so my mother says. Anglo-Indian, like my mum.

I also liked the English band The The. I like 1927... I liked The Psychadelic Furs, but back then I listened to some horrible hard rock and absolutely rotten, horrid punk rock. I have never listened to it since.

I recently bought some Icehouse and Iggy Pop from a library along with Bowie's, Black Tie White Noise. Also The Jesus And Mary Chain and Some Merryl Bainbridge stuff. Oh and Huey Lewis and the News.

What do you think of that haunting soundtrack of Twin Peaks?

Titanscape
« Last Edit: 27/06/2004 16:53:36 by Titanscape »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 01/07/2004 19:45:33 »
Good stuff Bren....all good stuff !!..Yep...I saw Queen three times....no one could entertain an arena like that prancing megalomaniac Freddy....but we loved him anyway.....and yes...he was born in Zanzibar.

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 03/07/2004 03:25:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by GOD

I Love Gospel :D

I am GOD..You are Not..I don't exist !!

what about lovely hymns?

Offline OmnipotentOne

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 07/07/2004 20:57:49 »
I trust all of you are buying your cd's, oppose to downloading them because you all know thats illiegal!

To see the world through a grain of sand.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 07/07/2004 22:56:32 »
I never download....I have to own the original anyway....there was a time when I did download and that was a only as a precursor to buying the CD........and as mentioned before, the compression used in MP3 and other formats sacrifice frequencies that make downloadable tracks seem hollow and void of substance....BUT... in defence of MP3 it is a great for portables like IPods and portable CD players that can can play MP3 encoded discs...the same goes for Minidiscs too...........and now it seems that I'm going to contradict myself, but I have done Dems with people who want to use their Ipod connected to a Hi Fi and I must admit I have been reasonably surprised at how acceptable it is...although....when compared to an original CD ...the diffrences in quality is quite obvious.

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 08/07/2004 01:19:09 »
i agree with neil, its nice to have the originals! Also i wouldnt download music of my favourite artists because its only leaving them out of pocket.

Offline soundchaser

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 06/01/2006 09:38:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by cuso4

I like a bit of classical from time to time but normally I just listen to pop. Robbie Williams' songs are quite good.

Angel

Offline soundchaser

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 06/01/2006 10:34:01 »
There are only 3 kinds of music. - Bad music -Good music & - Great music. Any other labeling seems to limit what you expose yourself to!

Now...,music is the most obvious form of magic in the world today. I won't waste time validating this. Just close your eyes and listen (with all your attention, of course).
With that said, let me point out the implications. Because of the way music (and perhaps all great ART, I'm not sure. Best give that more thought) 'groks' ones bubble of reality/perception many would consider it a spiritual or divine experience. Thus, limiting what you expose yourself to may be a sin!

I've done music all my life (like my father). Over 50 years. I look through tons of garbage and everywhere else for it. Most of what I find falls in the 'good' catagory. More and more these days.., into the 'bad'. But always, the 'great' stuff turns up right when & where it takes my life where I am traveling to anyway.
I'm rambling, huh?
Sorry, reading your topic discussion tonight prompted me to dig up (and play) my copy of "Gates of Delerium". Oh Heaven and bliss! Now it's "Close to the Edge" here!

There is 'great' music out there that you have'nt heard yet. Seek it out. It'll be worth it.
My personal favorites...this week is "The Mars Volta". I will listen to "Francis The Mute" until I know it intimitely. Last week it was Tori Amos and Jimmy's Chicken Shack.

another_someone

« Reply #109 on: 06/01/2006 16:56:17 »
Like Neil, I don't like MP3, and all things being equal, I'd prefer to own the original (although I have no scruples about making copies for private use, and would never use originals in the car, just in case they get lost).

The types of music I would listen to depends often on the quality of reproduction.  Much middle of the road music is fairly undemanding of the system it is played through, but at the other extreme, it is pretty much impossible for any recording to give justice to a live organ recital.  Even some rock music that would normally make me cringe, I have heard of good quality equipment (when not set at a volume designed to ensure premature deafness) and was surprised to hear things in the music that had been totally lost when played on lesser equipment.

Ofcourse, taste also depends on mood, and as with many things, have changed as I have grown older (although some of this is also because in my younger years I had simply been listening on inferior equipment and have reappraised the music as I had the opportunity to listen on better equipment).

sharkeyandgeorge

« Reply #110 on: 07/01/2006 16:53:04 »
im afraid i cant be arsed reading all this so will answer the origional question. i like various types of music best cd bloc party silent alarm best band blur best gig arctic monkeys

"I realised i was sitting on a thousand tons of fuel in a rocket built by the lowest bidder"  John Glen

Offline GOD

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 07/01/2006 21:05:26 »
Gospel really pisses me off !!

I am GOD..You are Not..I don't exist !!

Offline simeonie

• View Profile
    • http://www.simeonie.co.uk
« Reply #112 on: 09/01/2006 20:57:12 »
METALICA!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: 27/06/2009 15:13:05 by BenV »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #112 on: 09/01/2006 20:57:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums